(fwd) 6 Channel USB AMBE Transcoder Kickstarter Has Started

Steve N4IRS

Understood,
Most people that want to use one will purchase it from somewhere. When they are available we will add support.

Steve N4IRS

On 12/15/2017 10:45 AM, John D Hays - K7VE wrote:
Note, the design is available for anyone to build. The Kickstarter is designed to make prebuilt units available to more people.

On Dec 15, 2017 06:49, "Steve N4IRS" <szingman@...> wrote:
DVSwitch will provide a replacement for AMBEServer that will support the new open source board (when available) along with improved support for for other hardware and software Vocoders.
All the current and future DVSwitch tools will support Vocoders from multiple vendors.

73, Steve N4IRS

Note, the design is available for anyone to build. The Kickstarter is designed to make prebuilt units available to more people.

On Dec 15, 2017 06:49, "Steve N4IRS" <szingman@...> wrote:
DVSwitch will provide a replacement for AMBEServer that will support the new open source board (when available) along with improved support for for other hardware and software Vocoders.
All the current and future DVSwitch tools will support Vocoders from multiple vendors.

DVSwitch will provide a replacement for AMBEServer that will support the new open source board (when available) along with improved support for for other hardware and software Vocoders.
All the current and future DVSwitch tools will support Vocoders from multiple vendors.

73, Steve N4IRS

Matthew 2E0SIP

My understanding is this (I could be wrong) -

* All current AMBE implementations are in software. They will sell you a chip with the software on it, but it's not custom silicone, it's just a micro-controller.
* DVSI will sell you a software license, but minimum order is prohibitive (Tens of thousands as I understand it)
* DVSI will sell end users chips, but minimum order is 10, and shipping is expensive.
* Efforts have been made to reverse engineer the protocol, but as far as I know its only possible to decode AMBE using standalone software, using publicly available software at least.
* There is an emulator out there that will transcode / decode AMBE suitable for DMR use, but not the other modes.
* The board offered in the kickstarter is using 2x DVSI AMBE 3003 chips to offer the 6 channels.

I think funding the project is the best way to get an open source, 'standardised', multi channel decoder for digital amateur radio at sensible prices.

Steve, KB9MWR

Dylan,
The kickstarter is just the commercial production of a design and layout by LX3JL. And it uses the DVSI AMBE-3003 chip.
https://github.com/LX3JL/usb-3006

As for doing it in software, that has already been done (google AMBE Exposed). But there are a number of folks worried about patents.

Eric N0NKI

Yup, it's on a chip and you could try and design your own if you wanted to... I'm fairly certain you'll find one of these codec chips on the PCB.
http://www.dvsinc.com/corporate/price.shtml

On Thu, Dec 14, 2017 at 4:31 PM, Dylan Ambauen <dylan@...> wrote:
My understanding is that implementations of AMBE require a license, and most/all? of the implementations are in hardware. If you want to make a vocoder you buy a chip manufactured under a license. If that is true, even SDR radios would require a hardware AMBE vocoder, not certain. Perhaps the algorithm could be reverse engineered... but a compression algorithm is different than sniffing a network protocol.

Perhaps PNW Digital purchased their own AMBE license, to make their own high-quality hardware.

---
Dylan Ambauen
360-850-1200

On Thu, Dec 14, 2017 at 10:31 AM, Steve KB9MWR via Groups.Io <kb9mwr@...> wrote:
Figured this might be of interest to some on this group.

Bryan Fields does bring up a valid point on the allstar-digital mailing list;
"I'm wondering, why not fund the development of Free Software that would do
this on the host CPU?"

John D. Hays john at hays.org
Thu Dec 14 13:04:16 EST 2017

[...]

John D. Hays
Edmonds, WA
K7VE

Steve N4IRS

We saw that. Should work with our existing bridges.

Steve N4IRS

Steve, KB9MWR