Setting the IP address on the Pi

Mike KB8JNM

Have you ever tried to restart the network.service after boot ?

On 11/4/2020 12:49 PM, Bob Brown wrote:
The same for as well this is the first time I have had an eth0 not be an eth0

but it is what worked for me YMMV

now this is an older pi2 or 3 I believe it was in the junque box

I was just trying this out to see how it worked. and testing the ease of set up instructions.

I say so far it was easy, except for the static IP part.

I will play with it some more tonight I may even try a different pi to see if it is common with a fresh image

Sm0ke

--
Thanks in Advance

   Bob, WØNQX

   Kansas City Metro Area

   http://drsm0ke.net

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

"Some of my finest hours have been spent on my back veranda, smoking hemp and observing as far as my eye can see." Thomas Jefferson

On Wed, Nov 4, 2020 at 11:22 AM Steve N4IRS <szingman@...> wrote:
hmmm, for me it's eth0.

On 11/4/2020 12:16 PM, Bob Brown wrote:
I burned from the pi image on the web site in your original email announcement.

I used Balena-etcher for the write to card.

--
Thanks in Advance

   Bob, WØNQX

   Kansas City Metro Area

   http://drsm0ke.net

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

"Some of my finest hours have been spent on my back veranda, smoking hemp and observing as far as my eye can see." Thomas Jefferson

On Wed, Nov 4, 2020 at 11:06 AM Steve N4IRS <szingman@...> wrote:
Bob,
Is this the DVSwitch Server image or did you do a pat-get install
dvswitch-server on a running system?

On 11/4/2020 11:34 AM, Bob Brown wrote:
> Update, with the help of Steve - N4IRS
>
> Mornin' Steve, and all other ships at sea...
>
> Well, I have had my Coffee and I made a few changes as suggested.
>
> 1. Here is what I did on the cmdline.txt file in the /boot/ directory
>
> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
> console=serial0,115200 console=tty1 root=PARTUUID=ba1c0260-02 rootfstype=ext4
> elevator=deadline fsck.repair=yes rootwait ipv6.disable=1
> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
>
> It worked to disable the IPv6, I tried this first to see what happens, it disabled the IPv6 but the 169.xxx.xxx.xxx dhcp address stayed.
>
> So I did the next step as the 2nd suggestion.
>
> 2. The is funny on this pi, the naming scheme "eth0" is not what it is called on this pi it is some long string of characters:  "enxb827eb692453"
>
> I did an "ifconfig" first to get the name of the eth0 interface.
>
> I then copied that string "enxb827eb692453"
> Replacing the "eth0" with the string "enxb827eb692453"
>
> This I put at the end of the "/etc/dhcpcd.conf" file
>
> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
> interface enxb827eb692453
> static ip_address=10.20.20.10/24
> static routers=10.20.20.254
> static domain_name_servers=4.4.4.4 8.8.8.8
> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
>
> I did this editing with "sudo nano" then saved of course in both files...
> Using nano by itself would not allow a save, I had to use sudo.
>
> Then Rebooted and checked for IP change, It worked! :)
>
> The end result was a static IPv4 address and no IPv6.
>
> All for now
>
> Many thanks to all that wrote back.
>
> I hope this helps someone else.
>
> Bob, W0NQX
> aka DrSm0ke

Steve N4IRS

The "feature" is called Predictable Network Interface Names. It is supposed to make sure the name is the same across reboots, after other network interfaces are added. What I don't yet understand is why it triggers for Bob and not anyone else (so far)
I love my job, I love my job...

> [...]

> 2. The is funny on this pi, the naming scheme "eth0" is not what it is called on this pi it is some long string of characters:  "enxb827eb692453"
>
> I did an "ifconfig" first to get the name of the eth0 interface.
>
> I then copied that string "enxb827eb692453"
> Replacing the "eth0" with the string "enxb827eb692453"
>
> This I put at the end of the "/etc/dhcpcd.conf" file
>
> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
> interface enxb827eb692453
> static ip_address=10.20.20.10/24
> static routers=10.20.20.254
> static domain_name_servers=4.4.4.4 8.8.8.8
> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
>
> I did this editing with "sudo nano" then saved of course in both files...
> Using nano by itself would not allow a save, I had to use sudo.
>
> Then Rebooted and checked for IP change, It worked! :)
>
> The end result was a static IPv4 address and no IPv6.

Bob Brown

> [...]

> 2. The is funny on this pi, the naming scheme "eth0" is not what it is called on this pi it is some long string of characters:  "enxb827eb692453"
>
> I did an "ifconfig" first to get the name of the eth0 interface.
>
> I then copied that string "enxb827eb692453"
> Replacing the "eth0" with the string "enxb827eb692453"
>
> This I put at the end of the "/etc/dhcpcd.conf" file
>
> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
> interface enxb827eb692453
> static ip_address=10.20.20.10/24
> static routers=10.20.20.254
> static domain_name_servers=4.4.4.4 8.8.8.8
> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
>
> I did this editing with "sudo nano" then saved of course in both files...
> Using nano by itself would not allow a save, I had to use sudo.
>
> Then Rebooted and checked for IP change, It worked! :)
>
> The end result was a static IPv4 address and no IPv6.

Steve N4IRS

Mike,
I don't remember a issue with loading the network from boot, but I'm old and forget things. ;)

Most of the support programs (gateways etc) do get unhappy if they can't connect to the internet on startup. I built a service that holds off starting any of those services until the cost can connect to the internet.

Steve

On 11/4/2020 12:27 PM, Mike KB8JNM wrote:
I do not know if it is relevent or not.

I remember a issue with a needed delay on boot in networking preventing loading network properly on boot.

I tried a quick search to find it, but with to many results for me to look through in a available amount of time.

But perhaps my mention of it will jar someones memory of it.

> [...]

> 2. The is funny on this pi, the naming scheme "eth0" is not what it is called on this pi it is some long string of characters:  "enxb827eb692453"
>
> I did an "ifconfig" first to get the name of the eth0 interface.
>
> I then copied that string "enxb827eb692453"
> Replacing the "eth0" with the string "enxb827eb692453"
>
> This I put at the end of the "/etc/dhcpcd.conf" file
>
> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
> interface enxb827eb692453
> static ip_address=10.20.20.10/24
> static routers=10.20.20.254
> static domain_name_servers=4.4.4.4 8.8.8.8
> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
>
> I did this editing with "sudo nano" then saved of course in both files...
> Using nano by itself would not allow a save, I had to use sudo.
>
> Then Rebooted and checked for IP change, It worked! :)
>
> The end result was a static IPv4 address and no IPv6.

Bob Brown

I burned from the pi image on the web site in your original email announcement.

I used Balena-etcher for the write to card.

--
Thanks in Advance

   Bob, WØNQX

   Kansas City Metro Area

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

"Some of my finest hours have been spent on my back veranda, smoking hemp and observing as far as my eye can see." Thomas Jefferson

On Wed, Nov 4, 2020 at 11:06 AM Steve N4IRS <szingman@...> wrote:
Bob,
Is this the DVSwitch Server image or did you do a pat-get install
dvswitch-server on a running system?

On 11/4/2020 11:34 AM, Bob Brown wrote:
> Update, with the help of Steve - N4IRS
>
> Mornin' Steve, and all other ships at sea...
>
> Well, I have had my Coffee and I made a few changes as suggested.
>
> 1. Here is what I did on the cmdline.txt file in the /boot/ directory
>
> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
> console=serial0,115200 console=tty1 root=PARTUUID=ba1c0260-02 rootfstype=ext4
> elevator=deadline fsck.repair=yes rootwait ipv6.disable=1
> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
>
> It worked to disable the IPv6, I tried this first to see what happens, it disabled the IPv6 but the 169.xxx.xxx.xxx dhcp address stayed.
>
> So I did the next step as the 2nd suggestion.
>
> 2. The is funny on this pi, the naming scheme "eth0" is not what it is called on this pi it is some long string of characters:  "enxb827eb692453"
>
> I did an "ifconfig" first to get the name of the eth0 interface.
>
> I then copied that string "enxb827eb692453"
> Replacing the "eth0" with the string "enxb827eb692453"
>
> This I put at the end of the "/etc/dhcpcd.conf" file
>
> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
> interface enxb827eb692453
> static ip_address=10.20.20.10/24
> static routers=10.20.20.254
> static domain_name_servers=4.4.4.4 8.8.8.8
> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
>
> I did this editing with "sudo nano" then saved of course in both files...
> Using nano by itself would not allow a save, I had to use sudo.
>
> Then Rebooted and checked for IP change, It worked! :)
>
> The end result was a static IPv4 address and no IPv6.
>
> All for now
>
> Many thanks to all that wrote back.
>
> I hope this helps someone else.
>
> Bob, W0NQX
> aka DrSm0ke

Steve N4IRS

[...]

Good morning Steve,

Check your email I sent you a log

Sm0ke

Steve N4IRS

I would like to see /var/log/syslog to look into this:

"my router is configured to hand out 10.20.20.xxx addresses, this pi refuses to go there."

Steve N4IRS

On 11/3/20 10:22 PM, Bob Brown wrote:
Since the DVswitch draws a local IP from your network via DHCP, is there a way from the menu system to disable DHCP and hard code a Wired LAN IP ?

No, I am not doing wireless, just hardwire ethernet.

Short of doing this from the command line, can I open a config file and configure this and then reboot?

My system keeps drawing a 169.xxx.xxx.xxx address and an IPV6 address, my router is configured to hand out 10.20.20.xxx addresses, this pi refuses to go there.

I thought there would be a place in the menu system to set this but I cannot find it to save my soul, can someone please enlighten me?

Otherwise, I will do it via the cmd line.

I was following the nice videos from W0RMT, but it lacked what I think is an important part.

Thanks in advance

Bob, W0NQX

Steve N4IRS

Bob,
See the bottom of /etc/dhcpcd.conf

73, Steve N4IRS

[...]

Hi Jeff,

I would do that but the router is from google fiber and I have limited control of it.

I guess I will go to the CMD line method and set it that way.

Thanks for the reply.

Bob

Jeff Lehman, N8ACL

Set it via reserved IP in DHCP in your router by Mac address. That way when the pi boots, DHCP will always assign it that IP address and you don’t have to mess with changing files and the command line. Also if you ever need to move networks ( you get a new router and change your IP scope for example), your PI is not locked on that old network and you can’t get into it.

Jeff Lehman, N8ACL
E-mail: N8ACL@icloud.com
Hamshack Hotline: 4218
Website: https://n8acl.ddns.net