Confused hblink and MMDVM bridge.


G4WXN@...
 

Please excuse my stupidity, I am struggling to get my head around a problem I have.

I have DVS running on a Rpi, in MMDVM_Bridge.ini I have the following settings
--------------------------
Address=hblink.dvswitch.org
Port=62031
Jitter=360
Local=62032
Password=######
# for DMR+ see https://github.com/DVSwitch/MMDVM_Bridge/blob/master/DOC/DMRplus_startup_options.md
# for XLX the syntax is: Options=XLX:4009
# Options=
Slot1=0
Slot2=1
Debug=0
#-------------------------
That works fine with the scripts I have for switching systems, BM, TGIF, DMR+ etc.
I have another installation of DVS on a netbook, if I use the same settings the log files report that it has signed into the master with no problems, but my transmissions don't go anywhere, eg when on BM I watch the last heard and my transmissions never appear. However if I change the address line to a BM master with my password, all works fine.
So why does one work and not the other?
As always grateful there are folk out there smarter than me.
 
--
Derek

G4WXN


Steve N4IRS
 

Derek,
Are you asking why your transmission go nowhere when you are connected to hblink.dvswitch.org?
hblink.dvswitch/org is a simple DMR master I setup for people to test. There is no connection to any other network or master. There is no dashboard. The only way someone else would hear you is to also be connected to hblink.dvswitch.org and be on the same TG / TS.

We have discussed building a expanded HBlink master to better demonstrate the uses for HBlink but there is only so much time in the day.

Hope this answers your question.
73, Steve N4IRS


On 12/16/20 3:54 AM, G4WXN@... wrote:
Please excuse my stupidity, I am struggling to get my head around a problem I have.

I have DVS running on a Rpi, in MMDVM_Bridge.ini I have the following settings
--------------------------
Address=hblink.dvswitch.org
Port=62031
Jitter=360
Local=62032
Password=######
# for XLX the syntax is: Options=XLX:4009
# Options=
Slot1=0
Slot2=1
Debug=0
#-------------------------
That works fine with the scripts I have for switching systems, BM, TGIF, DMR+ etc.
I have another installation of DVS on a netbook, if I use the same settings the log files report that it has signed into the master with no problems, but my transmissions don't go anywhere, eg when on BM I watch the last heard and my transmissions never appear. However if I change the address line to a BM master with my password, all works fine.
So why does one work and not the other?
As always grateful there are folk out there smarter than me.
 
--
Derek

G4WXN


G4WXN@...
 

Steve thanks for the reply.

What is strange is that I have a RPi with

Address=hblink.dvswitch.org in MMMDVM Bridge
And that works fine with my mode change and tune scripts.

However if I use the same settings on on my netbook running DVSwitch it appears to work, no errors that I can see in the logs, and yet it simply doesn't work.

Perhaps then more the question is why DOES it work on the RPi?

--
Derek

G4WXN


Steve N4IRS
 

Derek,
Are you saying that if you have hblink.dvswitch.org as your DMR Master on your netbook, it does not execute mode changes or tunes? If so, please post the MB.ini from the netbook.

On 12/16/2020 10:49 AM, G4WXN@... wrote:
Steve thanks for the reply.

What is strange is that I have a RPi with

Address=hblink.dvswitch.org in MMMDVM Bridge
And that works fine with my mode change and tune scripts.

However if I use the same settings on on my netbook running DVSwitch it appears to work, no errors that I can see in the logs, and yet it simply doesn't work.

Perhaps then more the question is why DOES it work on the RPi?

--
Derek

G4WXN


G4WXN@...
 

Yes, that's what has been happening.

I have tune scripts, that switch mode, then use a tune string.
similar to
sudo /opt/Analog_Bridge/dvswitch.sh tune mypassword@MasterIP:62031

I have attached the MB.ini file and edited it with some notes of explanation.

Hope that clarifies it a little.




--
Derek

G4WXN


Steve N4IRS
 

Anything unusual in the log when the netbook connects to hblink.dvswitch.org?
When you say it goes nowhere, how did you determine that?

Steve

On 12/16/2020 1:52 PM, G4WXN@... wrote:

Yes, that's what has been happening.

I have tune scripts, that switch mode, then use a tune string.
similar to
sudo /opt/Analog_Bridge/dvswitch.sh tune mypassword@MasterIP:62031

I have attached the MB.ini file and edited it with some notes of explanation.

Hope that clarifies it a little.




--
Derek

G4WXN



Steve N4IRS
 

Are the netbook and the RPI on the same LAN?
Can the netbook ping hblink.dvswitch.org?

On 12/16/2020 1:52 PM, G4WXN@... wrote:

Yes, that's what has been happening.

I have tune scripts, that switch mode, then use a tune string.
similar to
sudo /opt/Analog_Bridge/dvswitch.sh tune mypassword@MasterIP:62031

I have attached the MB.ini file and edited it with some notes of explanation.

Hope that clarifies it a little.




--
Derek

G4WXN



Steve N4IRS
 

I would like to see the startup of MB from both the RPi and the Netbook. From start to login to the master.

On 12/16/2020 1:52 PM, G4WXN@... wrote:

Yes, that's what has been happening.

I have tune scripts, that switch mode, then use a tune string.
similar to
sudo /opt/Analog_Bridge/dvswitch.sh tune mypassword@MasterIP:62031

I have attached the MB.ini file and edited it with some notes of explanation.

Hope that clarifies it a little.




--
Derek

G4WXN



G4WXN@...
 

Yes both systems are on the same home network. The RPi is hardwired, the netbook is Wifi.
I do not try to connect both to the same DMR system. The RPi is mostly used for DStar.
Log files attached. I cleared the MB logs on both systems and rebooted, so these are fresh files.
Hope that helps?
--
Derek

G4WXN


Steve N4IRS
 

Send a test transmission from the netbook on TG 9 to hblink.dvswitch.org and capture the log.

On 12/17/2020 11:27 AM, G4WXN@... wrote:
Yes both systems are on the same home network. The RPi is hardwired, the netbook is Wifi.
I do not try to connect both to the same DMR system. The RPi is mostly used for DStar.
Log files attached. I cleared the MB logs on both systems and rebooted, so these are fresh files.
Hope that helps?
--
Derek

G4WXN


G4WXN@...
 

OK I think I have this now.

I have created MB ini files for each network, the scripts copy this over the MB ini file and then restarts the MB service.

This works fine for BM and TGIF, however I still cannot get DMR+ to work.

What master do I use for DMR+?

I tried using the one that is in the tune string 78.129.135.43 but again it fails.

--
Derek

G4WXN


G4WXN@...
 

Well after a lot of work, and bodging, I have DMR+ running.

Several problems, the port number I was using for the tune didn't match the master login, or at least I think that was what the problem was.

So now I have separate MB ini files for each network these are copied over the MB ini file and then MB service restarts.

Which brings me to another question.

When using these customised MB ini files, is it best to disable all the other modes? or does it make no difference?
--
Derek

G4WXN


Steve N4IRS
 

Derek,
I would come down on the side of cleanliness. Disable any unneeded services. That being said, You should be able to switch masters on the fly. Please post your [DMR Network] stanza from the working MMDVM_Bridge.ini

Steve N4IRS


On 12/23/20 5:59 AM, G4WXN@... wrote:
Well after a lot of work, and bodging, I have DMR+ running.

Several problems, the port number I was using for the tune didn't match the master login, or at least I think that was what the problem was.

So now I have separate MB ini files for each network these are copied over the MB ini file and then MB service restarts.

Which brings me to another question.

When using these customised MB ini files, is it best to disable all the other modes? or does it make no difference?
--
Derek

G4WXN


G4WXN@...
 

I have attached a file which has all 3 DMR MB.ini file Stanzas.

They all now are working, I am in the process of creating another for the FreeDMR network.

--
Derek

G4WXN


Steve N4IRS
 

So,
Your dial string for DMR+ would be:
"PASSWORD@...:55555:StartRef=4649;RelinkTime=60;UserLink=1"

Your dial string for TGIF would be:
"passw0rd@...:62031"

Your dial string for BM would be:
"mypassword@...:62031"

Steve N4IRS

On 12/23/2020 9:08 AM, G4WXN@... wrote:
I have attached a file which has all 3 DMR MB.ini file Stanzas.

They all now are working, I am in the process of creating another for the FreeDMR network.

--
Derek

G4WXN


G4WXN@...
 

yes that is exactly what I have and it now works.

What was confusing me with the DMR+ was the port number.

I still need to enter a 9 and then press send for it to go out to the other connected modes, but that is a minor thing I can live with.

--
Derek

G4WXN


Steve N4IRS
 

What I'm telling you is you do not need 3 MMDVM_Bridge.ini files. You can use tune. To add the TG9 to the dial string:

Your dial string for DMR+ would be:
"PASSWORD@...:55555:StartRef=4649;RelinkTime=60;UserLink=1!9"

Steve


On 12/23/2020 10:09 AM, G4WXN@... wrote:

yes that is exactly what I have and it now works.

What was confusing me with the DMR+ was the port number.

I still need to enter a 9 and then press send for it to go out to the other connected modes, but that is a minor thing I can live with.

--
Derek

G4WXN



G4WXN@...
 

Yes I tried that, the !9 and it worked sometimes, and not others.

So what do I use as a master in MB.ini that will allow the tune strings to work in all DMR networks?

Because what I have done is exactly what is described in the DVSM_02_17_2020.pdf doc.

--
Derek

G4WXN


Steve N4IRS
 

Things are becoming clearer. We have moved past those to a more streamlined system which includes switching DMR masters on the fly. See <https://dvswitch.groups.io/g/Mobile/files/DVSwitch%20Installation%20and%20User%20Guide%20v1.61.pdf>

Steve

On 12/23/2020 11:03 AM, G4WXN@... wrote:

Yes I tried that, the !9 and it worked sometimes, and not others.

So what do I use as a master in MB.ini that will allow the tune strings to work in all DMR networks?

Because what I have done is exactly what is described in the DVSM_02_17_2020.pdf doc.

--
Derek

G4WXN



G4WXN@...
 

I didn't use a rpi image, I used the github https://github.com/DVSwitch/DVSwitch-System-Builder install

So everything I have done is a waste of time?
--
Derek

G4WXN