From: main@DVSwitch.groups.io [mailto:main@DVSwitch.groups.io] On Behalf Of Steve N4IRS
Sent: Wednesday, February 3, 2021 6:47 PM
To: main@DVSwitch.groups.io
Subject: Re: [DVSwitch] Where the heck is hUC?

Since it's been quiet, here is a quick update.

The HTML client has been through beta testing and we are happy with the results.
The server that the client needs, Analog_Reflector has gone into beta test. We have 2 DMR networks that have the client / server installed and we have begun final testing.
More info when available.

73, N4IRR and N4IRS

Steve N4IRS

On 2/3/21 7:01 PM, Mike KB8JNM wrote:

Should I guess that hUC stands for ' HTML User Client ' ?

On 2/3/2021 6:47 PM, Steve N4IRS wrote:
Since it's been quiet, here is a quick update.

The HTML client has been through beta testing and we are happy with the results.
The server that the client needs, Analog_Reflector has gone into beta test. We have 2 DMR networks that have the client / server installed and we have begun final testing.
More info when available.

73, N4IRR and N4IRS

Steve N4IRS

HTML USRP client

On 2/3/21 7:01 PM, Mike KB8JNM wrote:

Should I guess that hUC stands for ' HTML User Client ' ?

On 2/3/2021 6:47 PM, Steve N4IRS wrote:
Since it's been quiet, here is a quick update.

The HTML client has been through beta testing and we are happy with the results.
The server that the client needs, Analog_Reflector has gone into beta test. We have 2 DMR networks that have the client / server installed and we have begun final testing.
More info when available.

73, N4IRR and N4IRS

Mike KB8JNM

[...]

On 2/1/21 4:38 am, Steve N4IRS wrote:
Happy new year to all!
Just a quick update, The HTML Client (hUC) and the Analog_Reflector
have gone into beta test as of today. The beta team will now start
trying to break it and comment on features etc. I do not have a time
frame as to when this goes to full release. We will need to package it
for installation and document how to install, manage and use.
Great news Steve.  I can't wait for Analog_Reflector. :)

--
73 de Tony VK3JED/VK3IRL
http://vkradio.com

Bruno

Bonne année 2021. France.

Le ven. 1 janv. 2021 à 19:14, EA5GVK Joaquin <ea5gvk@...> a écrit :
Happy new year. great news. Thanks Steve

El vie, 1 ene 2021 a las 18:38, Steve N4IRS (<szingman@...>) escribió:
Happy new year to all!
Just a quick update, The HTML Client (hUC) and the Analog_Reflector have gone into beta test as of today. The beta team will now start trying to break it and comment on features etc. I do not have a time frame as to when this goes to full release. We will need to package it for installation and document how to install, manage and use.

Hello everyone,
I want to set up a Link between HBLink and a room Wires-X from Yeasu in C4FM. Is there a possibility to set up the type of editing.
73 to all.
F1PTL Bruno

EA5GVK Joaquin

Happy new year. great news. Thanks Steve

El vie, 1 ene 2021 a las 18:38, Steve N4IRS (<szingman@...>) escribió:
Happy new year to all!
Just a quick update, The HTML Client (hUC) and the Analog_Reflector have gone into beta test as of today. The beta team will now start trying to break it and comment on features etc. I do not have a time frame as to when this goes to full release. We will need to package it for installation and document how to install, manage and use.

Happy new year to all!
Just a quick update, The HTML Client (hUC) and the Analog_Reflector have gone into beta test as of today. The beta team will now start trying to break it and comment on features etc. I do not have a time frame as to when this goes to full release. We will need to package it for installation and document how to install, manage and use.

73, Steve N4IRS

On 23/12/20 11:18 am, Steve N4IRS wrote:
The existing clients are Android any Python. The python client pretty
much runs on any desktop system. As it happens, Mike is spending a LOT
of time making sure the HTML client runs on most browsers and that
includes Safari on IOS.
For the AllStar people among us, The clients will be able to control
the AllStar nodes.
Another thing to look forward to!  I love DVSwitch Mobile on my Android,
but sometimes I only have the iPhone with me.  Sold me yet again! :D

--
73 de Tony VK3JED/VK3IRL
http://vkradio.com

On 23/12/20 8:21 am, Steve N4IRS wrote:
So, how do we give people another option. That option is called
Analog_Reflector. Consider a piece of software tha t will accept
multiple connections from clients (DVSM, pyUC or hUC) it will also
accept connections from multiple AllStar nodes either on the same
server or a remote server. (via USRP)  You can have multiple bridges
Now this sounds awesome.  I'm currently using AllStar as my main
bridge.  Currently, only traffic from modes with dissimilar vocoders
traverses AllStar (DMR - YSF has its own dedicated MMDVM_Bridge
instance).  I'm not keen on losing the metadata on traffic that
traverses AllStar, but at least I can guarantee minimum degradation of
the audio.

Analog_Reflector sounds like just what I'm looking for, and its
additional features sound pretty cool too.  I will definitely be
upgrading to this, when it's available. :)
DVSwitch is about giving you control. You control the mode, you
control the destination. You control the metadata. It's your server.
Do what YOU want.. There is SO much more I did not cover (as Mike will
tell me) There is a admin interface for Analog_Reflector (and a
dashboard) Somebody "sitting on his mike"? Kick him or mute him.
Somebody abusing your server, ban him. I won't promise you we have
thought of everything. That will come to light as we  see
tAnalog_Reflector in the field.
This looks like fun.  I have two use scenarios here, which are very
different:

1.  The multimode reflector.  This is a system that bridges 4 DV modes,
plus AllStar.  The main advantages of Analogue Reflector here would be
preservation of metadata, as well as the ability to isolate modes as
needed, plus access control.  I would be the only one with the keys to
the city, initially.  I may delegate some functions down the line.

2.  I have an instance of DVSwitch on my AllStar node here.  This one is
to allow AllStar to connect directly to any arbitrary destination.
Analogue_Reflector could simplify a lot of things here.  I could also
use it to link to other software (that I can make speak USRP in one way
or another). :)

--
73 de Tony VK3JED/VK3IRL
http://vkradio.com

Jeff Lehman, N8ACL

I figured that was the case. While the walled garden that is Apple is nice in some respects, in others it really can be a pain the butt. But still, the fact that safari works is amazing, so using that is not an issue.

Thanks for checking. I still am very much looking forward to when this is released. It’s such a cool evolution of DVS.

On Dec 23, 2020, at 06:11, Mike Zingman - N4IRR <mike.zingman@...> wrote:

Jeff,

Apple (being the control freaks that they are) specifically cripple any other browser than Safari. I have tested on Chrome and have found that the web audio implementation is broken (on purpose). Safari on iOS does actually work very well for the html client, but I suspect Firefox will be the same as Chrome.

Gotta love Apple.

Mike

Mike Zingman - N4IRR

Jeff,

Apple (being the control freaks that they are) specifically cripple any other browser than Safari. I have tested on Chrome and have found that the web audio implementation is broken (on purpose). Safari on iOS does actually work very well for the html client, but I suspect Firefox will be the same as Chrome.

Gotta love Apple.

Mike

Jeff Lehman, N8ACL

Oops… sorry….. yes iOS...

On Dec 22, 2020, at 19:24, Steve N4IRS <szingman@...> wrote:

I can try Firefox on what IOS or ???

On 12/22/20 7:22 PM, Jeff Lehman, N8ACL via groups.io wrote:
Now you have sold me…. What about other mobile browsers like Firefox? I mean I totally get that there are so many browsers out there, it would be almost impossible to check them all. But still Safari works for me for this….. Love it!

Jeff

On Dec 22, 2020, at 19:18, Steve N4IRS <szingman@...> wrote:

The existing clients are Android any Python. The python client pretty much runs on any desktop system. As it happens, Mike is spending a LOT of time making sure the HTML client runs on most browsers and that includes Safari on IOS.
For the AllStar people among us, The clients will be able to control the AllStar nodes.

On 12/22/20 7:14 PM, Jeff Lehman, N8ACL via groups.io wrote:
I’ll be honest, I havn’t looked too closely at the DVSwitch server because I don’t have an android device. However, This is incredibly intriguing and very much changing my mind about dedicating a PI to this. I love the concept of multiple clients, especially a web based one. Very much looking forward to this…

Jeff

On Dec 22, 2020, at 19:06, Patrick Perdue <patrick@...> wrote:

Definitely looking forward to this, especially if you can do something like referencing the Allstarlink node database and matching to ID's, if they exist. Of course, there is a lot of room for error, since the call sign field for ASL nodes is technically arbitrary, but it would be better than what exists now for passing metadata to digital modes. There are way too many people who look at displays and don't listen.

On 12/22/2020 4:21 PM, Steve N4IRS wrote:
We have been talking about hUC (HTTP USRP Client) since about the time we released DVSwitch Server. So, where is it already? hUC in it's early form did not really take that long. Thought it connects to DVSwitch Server differently, It's not much different then pyUC (python USRP Client) Then we started having our usual "what if" discussions. Our wives will tell you this can go on for days. A very big issue with a web based client is security. If you expose a HTML client to the internet, people will play with it. This could be disastrous. We need security to control who can do what. I sure don't want anybody with access to a search engine to start talking on DMR TG 91 (with my call and DMR ID) So, security had to be added.

Now I have this DVSwitch Server in the cloud with a web interface and at least I can control who has access.  We know DVSwitch Server is single user. It sure would be nice if I can give my friends access to my server. Let's face it, I'm not using it all the time. I can share. Some friends are more responsible then others. I would like to give Jack the ability to transmit, but not move the Server to another mode or talk group (tune). I would like to give Jill the ability to listen, but no transmit and no tune. OK, we can do that. Jack and Jill can both listen to traffic on the server. Jack can transmit. I am the only one that can tune to another TG or mode. OK, this is getting good.

We don't want to limit the fun to only web clients. What about DVSM and pyUC users? Yes, you can assign the same rights to DVSM and pyUC users. You can have users from all 3 clients with different rights. Everybody that can listen will hear not only the connected Steerable Bridge (SBridge) they will hear any client with transmit rights. Let me be CLEAR, This is one SBridge shared among multiple users. This is NOT DVAAS (Digital Voice as a service)

We did not forget AllStar. You can have one or more AllStar nodes directly connected to the Server. AllStar users (by node) can be assigned rights. RX, TX Tune. It's up to the Server owner how these connections are controlled. Some Server users use AllStar to mix audio from multiple modes. This is usually done by bridging each mode into a seperate AllStar "private node" This give the Server operator the ability to connect and disconnect modes into the main AllStar node. He can also directly connect 2 modes together without connecting those modes to anything else. AllStar is VERY versatile that way. In the case of unlike modes DMR (AMBE) to P25 (IMBE) this works quite well.If you are connecting like modes YSFn (AMBE) to NXDN (AMBE) this leave something to be desired. This is transcoding where none is required. It's up to the Server operator to decide if this is a disadvantage. No matter if it's like modes or not, using AllStar to bridge Digital Voice modes has one downside, You loose the metadata that is transmitted along with the voice. Some people don't care, the advantages of mixing in AllStar outweighs the disadvantages. I can make a case for either choice.

So, how do we give people another option. That option is called Analog_Reflector. Consider a piece of software tha t will accept multiple connections from clients (DVSM, pyUC or hUC) it will also accept connections from multiple AllStar nodes either on the same server or a remote server. (via USRP)  You can have multiple bridges connected. These bridges are fixed by mode and TG (reflector). Last but not lease is a Steerable Bridge (SBridge) This is the bridge you can change modes, you can change TGs it's exactly like the bridge in DVSwitch Server now. Any client (with the proper rights) can steer the bridge. This includes The AllStar nodes. One big advantage, no more macros needed (but still supported) The command path between AllStar and the reflector is two way. We can send commands for AllStar to the reflector (and on to the SBridge) We can also receive commands from a connected client and send them to AllStar. If you want to connect your AllStar node to another AllStar node, you can do it from a connected client. AllStar becomes "just another mode" accessible from a connected client. (Think Web tranceiver)

One last point I may have glossed over. EVERYBODY get the metadata. Client, Bridges, AllStar and SBridges. Everybody gets the data. Not everybody can do anything with the metadata (AllStar) but AllStar does send what little metadata it knows about the connected and transmitting stations into the reflector.

Over the next few months we are going to build a demonstration bridge. we will show you how to connect like modes without transcoding. We will show you how to send traffic to multiple modes at the same time. An example of this is DMR to YSF AND P25. We are going to do this with one instance of MMDVM_Bridge and a transcoder. Everybody gets the audio, everybody gets the metadata. Yes, it's all done with UDP ports. It's all modular. Yes it can get complex. (we have some thoughts in that area too)

DVSwitch is about giving you control. You control the mode, you control the destination. You control the metadata. It's your server. Do what YOU want.. There is SO much more I did not cover (as Mike will tell me) There is a admin interface for Analog_Reflector (and a dashboard) Somebody "sitting on his mike"? Kick him or mute him. Somebody abusing your server, ban him. I won't promise you we have thought of everything. That will come to light as we  see tAnalog_Reflector in the field.

For DVSwitch,

[...]

Patrick Perdue