Help with multiple instances of DV Switch

Alex MM7BDW

Hi Steve,

I've managed to get it working by adding the NNX node. All seems fine. RX and TX on both DMR networks. My final question, which probably isn't for this group is, how do I deal with things such as setting a manager.conf password and changing the bind address of the NNX node number so that I can view and control from Supermon. Normally I could do this no problem and know where to go to setup such things but as I have only added this node to the existing public one, I have no access to its own rpt.conf, manager.conf etc

Alex

Steve N4IRS

Alex,
One thing we just discovered is that if you use a NNX for your private node number, you have to be careful how you connect to it. For example:
Public node 2148
NNX node 21489

2148 registers with allstarlink, 21489 does not.

There are 2 ways to connect your public to your private node. By convention you have the three functions: *3 *2 and *1 Normally you would send *321489 from a DTMF pad or rpt fun 2148 *321489 from the CLI. Well, *321489 does not work. We think because how AllStar parses the dial string. It seems to stop at 2148 and fail. All is not lost, you can still connect from the CLI. You can also create a custom command to do it:
819 = cmd,# rpt cmd 2148 ilink 3 21489

*221489 disconnect you.

Steve N4IRS

On 4/23/2021 10:06 AM, Alex MM7BDW wrote:
So Steve if I am understanding correctly. If I add a private node to my already existing configuration for the public node on ASL, then I can create two instances of each (MB,AB and MD380) and configure this to look at the private node with different USRP ports?

I've already copied MB,AB and MD380 into new directories and named them "2" and changed all the ports in the respective ini's. I'm sure I have read a doc somewhere before about the private node setup so should be able to follow that from there.

To sum up, I just need to have a private node setup within the existing rpt.conf and as long as the USRP ports are different from the original then this should work?

Thanks for your help Steve

Alex

Steve N4IRS

Yes, you are correct. I have one suggestion, Everything you will find on the net about adding a private node will suggest a node number below 2000 usually 1999. Though in most cases this will work fine, sometimes if 2 public nodes each having a private node 1999, you will have a problem disconnecting. I suggest you use the NNX numbering system to your advantage. If your public node is 2151 then append a singe digit to the node number. You can have 10 NNX nodes so I would suggest using 9. So, node 2151 and node 21519. If you don't like that, use a node number between 1 and 1999, just try to be unique. The other suggestion I have is since you already had a running AllStar <-> DMR bridge, use it to test your second bridge. You second AB will have unique USRP ports. Edit your existing rpt.conf and point it at the second AB. Make sure all works as expected. The swap the ports back. Now you can add your private node. Here are some links to help, though you will find the same info all over the net. <https://wiki.allstarlink.org/wiki/Two_Nodes_on_One_Server> This will help ytou configure the second node for a bridge <https://dvswitch.groups.io/g/allstarlink/wiki/9671>

[...]

Based on what you already have built, the easiest is to do the bridging in AllStar. You will need to add a second AllStar node to you existing AllStar server. This is usually called a "private node" or a non published node to be more accurate. (This does not HAVE to be private) The second node would connect to your second Analog_Bridge via USRP (again different ports then you used for your first node) This way, DMR network 1 would be connected to you public node and DMR network 2 would be connected to your second AllStar node.

Steve

On 4/23/2021 9:16 AM, Alex MM7BDW wrote:
Connectivity to AllStar is more important. It started off with this "bridge node" being connected into our normal AllStar network bridging to one DMR network which was simple to setup until we decided to also want to be connected to another network as well. So I suppose in a way bridging DMR to DMR could be the solution. We don't need mobile device access or web browser access. As long as whatever happens on our AllStar side of things can be heard coming through the DMR networks and vice versa. Ideally I would be looking for the simplest approach as I am very new to this and just learning as I go

Alex

Alex MM7BDW

Connectivity to AllStar is more important. It started off with this "bridge node" being connected into our normal AllStar network bridging to one DMR network which was simple to setup until we decided to also want to be connected to another network as well. So I suppose in a way bridging DMR to DMR could be the solution. We don't need mobile device access or web browser access. As long as whatever happens on our AllStar side of things can be heard coming through the DMR networks and vice versa. Ideally I would be looking for the simplest approach as I am very new to this and just learning as I go

Alex

Steve N4IRS

Alex,
is the bridging the 2 DMR the primary purpose of the bridge or is connectivity to AllStar more important? If you need to shutdown the DMR bridge, does AllStar need to stay connected to one or more of the DMR networks? Do you need access from Mobile devices (cellular / WiFi) Do you need web browser access?
I can see this as a full time DMR <-> DMR bridge with AllStar also connected. DMR <-> DMR would not need to be transcoded, so no loss of DMR quality. I see 2 instances of MMDVM_Bridge and 1 instance of Analog_Bridge.

Steve

On 4/23/2021 8:41 AM, Alex MM7BDW wrote:
Steve,

Basically the setup is that my friend and I have started putting together a small network. We have a few nodes in the cloud and a couple of RF connected nodes. We have Echolink configured and coming into a couple of these nodes and at the moment have it bridging across to 2 different DMR talkgroups on 2 different networks. We have achieved this by having one node configured to bridge to one network and another node configured to bridge to the other network. These talkgroups are ours that we have set up so we know they aren't connected elsewhere and therefore we know that there are no loops being created. What I was hoping to do was to have this happening on one node only and therefore a couple of instances of DV Switch needed to do that. That way if there are any problems it means we can just disconnect that node and it doesn't interfere with anything else we are doing.

Hope this makes sense.

Alex
MM7BDW

Alex MM7BDW

[...]

To build your system the way you defined, yes, you need to define a second node in rpt.conf and use another pair of port numbers for USRP.

My question is what is your end goal? Are you trying to access 2 different DMR networks at the same time? Are you trying to bridge the 2 DMR networks? (may not be a good idea)

Tell us more about your goals and we can go from there.

Steve N4IRS

Patrick Perdue

To avoid transcoding issues between multiple common AMBE codecs, it's a better idea to use hblink and a single instance of DVSwitch. Hblink connects to the master servers (if Brandmeister, use OpenBridge or connect to an XLX reflector with interlink) and let it do the digital bridging, then connect to your local hblink as a master with MMDVM_Bridge. This works well for me, bridging Brandmeister via XLX interlink, and two other DMR master servers.

Note: DO *NOT* use hblink as a standard peer to Brandmeister.

On 4/22/2021 10:38 PM, mm7bdw@... wrote:
Hi there, I am trying to bridge ASL to two different DMR networks and understand that I need to run two instances of DV Switch to make this happen. I have MMDVM_Bridge, MMDVM_Bridge2, Analog_Bridge and Analog_Bridge2. I have copied over the .service files as well and amended the path to the new instances in each service. I have chose different tx and rx ports in the second instance so that they are not the same as the first and changed the local ports on the DMR stanza to make them different as well. From what I can see, everything is set up correctly and the logs confirm that both instances have logged into their respective DMR masters correctly.

My question is, do I need to specify different USRP ports for the second instance and if so how do I also show this in the rpt.conf file on ASL? Basically I can only transmit and receive from ASL to one DMR network (the first instance) and not the second. This is the only thing I think that might be preventing it from working correctly.

Any advice on what to look at here? Thanks in advance

Alex
MM7BDW

Alex MM7BDW