Topics

AllStar and DummyRepeater

I'm looking to build a a gateway between AllStar and D-STAR, and I've
seen references to using DummyRepeater and IRCDDBGateway, instead of
Analog_Bridge.  This has the advantage for me of being able to repurpose
a blue DV Dongle to do the DSAMBE conversion, saving a bit of money and
postage time (postage is quite slow these days)

I am aware there is a modification for DummyRepeater that allows it to
use the USRP interface, making it a perfect fit for AllStar, and I have
the AllStar side configured.  However, from there, documentation seems
to be lacking, and I couldn't find the patch (found a dead Guthub link).

Anyone have any more info?

--
73 de Tony VK3JED/VK3IRL
http://vkradio.com

Steve N4IRS

Tony,
Sorry, I did not see this when you posted. I have restored my old copy of the info on using DummyRepeater.
A you know, we no longer use this method to connect AllStar to D-Star. The files are at <https://github.com/N4IRS/DummyRepeater>

73, Steve N4IRS

On 8/2/20 5:21 AM, Tony Langdon wrote:
I'm looking to build a a gateway between AllStar and D-STAR, and I've
seen references to using DummyRepeater and IRCDDBGateway, instead of
Analog_Bridge.  This has the advantage for me of being able to repurpose
a blue DV Dongle to do the DSAMBE conversion, saving a bit of money and
postage time (postage is quite slow these days)

I am aware there is a modification for DummyRepeater that allows it to
use the USRP interface, making it a perfect fit for AllStar, and I have
the AllStar side configured.  However, from there, documentation seems
to be lacking, and I couldn't find the patch (found a dead Guthub link).

Anyone have any more info?

Thanks.  Well, the newer methods seem to require a ThumbDV or similar,
which I don't have, meaning additional cost, and worse still these days,
lengthy mail order delays, with the global postal system affected by
COVID-19.

But I do have a blue DV Dongle, which I'm hoping to repurpose for this
job, hence looking at DummyRepeater.

Of course, if there's other ways to make use of the DV Dongle as part of
a gateway, I'm open to those as well.  It's likely I've missed some
information somewhere.

On 5/8/20 8:24 pm, Steve N4IRS wrote:
[...]

Maybe I was not clear. The files are at <https://github.com/N4IRS/DummyRepeater>
This is the modification to dummy repeater to communicate with ASL.

Steve N4IRS

On 7/8/20 7:42 pm, Steve N4IRS wrote:
Maybe I was not clear. The files are at
<https://github.com/N4IRS/DummyRepeater>
This is the modification to dummy repeater to communicate with ASL.
Yeah, I figured that out, now to get things installed across 2 boxes
(system is in the cloud, have to use a local server for the DV Dongle
and DummyRepeater).  I downloaded the OpenDV code, so all is good, other
than needing to spend time setting it up.

--
73 de Tony VK3JED/VK3IRL
http://vkradio.com

On 7/8/20 7:42 pm, Steve N4IRS wrote:
Maybe I was not clear. The files are at
<https://github.com/N4IRS/DummyRepeater>
This is the modification to dummy repeater to communicate with ASL.

Thanks again Steve, got it all working.  Had to do a bit of trial and
error, and Googling to get ircDDBGateway to play ball, but it's all
running now.  Any activity on the AllStar side results in DummyRepeater
going into transmit.  Waiting on my MMDVM board to access the system
from the D-STAR side, and give my old IC-91AD a run. :)

--
73 de Tony VK3JED/VK3IRL
http://vkradio.com