Analog_Bridge Allstar Link Guidance

Ed W8VT

At this point have a fresh install of DIAL on a RPi2. Have Analog_Bridge running and communicating with the DV3000 per the DMRGateway install notes.

I guess next step is HBLink. Could use some assistance at this point.

The goal is to have private Allstar node bridge to BM TG 313938, which is a cluster of repeaters in SE OH operated by my buddies.

Any assistance greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Steve N4IRS

clone dmr_utils from this:
https://github.com/n0mjs710/dmr_utils.git
run the install.sh in dmr_utils

clone HB_Bridge from this:
git clone -b HB_Bridge https://github.com/n0mjs710/HBlink.git

copy hblink-SAMPLE.cfg to hblink.cfg
edit hblink.cfg

See this:
https://groups.io/g/DVSwitch/files/HB_AB_ASL.txt
and this:
https://groups.io/g/DVSwitch/files/HB_Bridge_Diagram.pdf

73, Steve N4IRS

On 12/26/2017 02:27 PM, Ed W8VT wrote:
At this point have a fresh install of DIAL on a RPi2. Have Analog_Bridge running and communicating with the DV3000 per the DMRGateway install notes.

I guess next step is HBLink. Could use some assistance at this point.

The goal is to have private Allstar node bridge to BM TG 313938, which is a cluster of repeaters in SE OH operated by my buddies.

Any assistance greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Corey Badgley KC7MRQ

Steve,
I'm doing the same thing as Ed, but just don't understand what I am doing and need some hand-holding guidance.
So far I have updated rpt.conf file and have a node number using the USRP channel and its loaded in the manager.conf file.

I have the thumbDV connected to the pi and Initial testing AMBETest4 failed until I changed to a higher current power supply. Then, the test succeeded.

I followed the instructions per the DMRGateway notes and installed the files in the /opt folder and edited the Ini file.
All the testing was successful per the instructions.

I git cloned your response above into the /opt folder and followed those instructions.

I edited the hblink.cfg by enabling the client stanza and changed the lines that seemed applicable.

So how do I "turn it all on" to bridge ASL 29847 to TG31304?

Thanks,
Corey
KC7MRQ

JJ Cummings

Corey,

I’ll provide an example of how I’m doing it for 310815 <-> the fun machine (k0jsc.com) in Colorado when I get home this evening.

J Cummings
N0PKT

Sent from the iRoad

On Dec 28, 2017, at 11:12, Corey Badgley KC7MRQ <kc7mrq@...> wrote:

[...]

I am up and running thanks to Gescio, WH6AV, remoting into my system and making the necessary changes to enable the bridge.

Thanks again Gescio for taking time out of your day to help me and give me some training on the use.

Have a great day,

Corey

Corey Badgley KC7MRQ

I've noticed a couple issues playing with the setup. The first was the thumbDV resetting after about 5 minutes of audio. I raised the input voltage and the reset problem appeared to go away.

The second issue is audio artifacts from DMR > ASL. The audio is broken like there are packet drops and a pretty large delay from the time the DMR station un keys till the audio is complete on the ASL side. for example, a 50+ second DMR transmission will have least a 10 second delay.

Any suggestions about the broken and delayed audio coming onto the ASL side?

Corey

Steve N4IRS

Corey,
I'm betting you are still having issues with the ThumbDV on a RPi. I can suggest a few things.
Try a powered USB hub.
Try running on a X86 machine
Run Analog_Bridge in the foreground so you can watch the output. Analog_Bridge will report errors from the ThumbDV. I'm betting reset errors.
Run a LONG term test with AMBEtest4.py Run it verbose and take a look at line 198 to increase the number of iterations.

73, Steve N4IRS

On 12/28/2017 08:08 PM, Corey Badgley KC7MRQ wrote:
I've noticed a couple issues playing with the setup. The first was the thumbDV resetting after about 5 minutes of audio. I raised the input voltage and the reset problem appeared to go away.

The second issue is audio artifacts from DMR > ASL. The audio is broken like there are packet drops and a pretty large delay from the time the DMR station un keys till the audio is complete on the ASL side. for example, a 50+ second DMR transmission will have least a 10 second delay.

Any suggestions about the broken and delayed audio coming onto the ASL side?

Corey

JJ Cummings

I have also seen clipping like behavior when the gain values were not correctly adjusted.

Sent from the iRoad

On Dec 28, 2017, at 18:31, Steve N4IRS <szingman@...> wrote:

[...]

Also, run AMBETest4.py with the -e option. It will stop on error.

On 12/28/2017 08:08 PM, Corey Badgley KC7MRQ wrote:
I've noticed a couple issues playing with the setup. The first was the thumbDV resetting after about 5 minutes of audio. I raised the input voltage and the reset problem appeared to go away.

The second issue is audio artifacts from DMR > ASL. The audio is broken like there are packet drops and a pretty large delay from the time the DMR station un keys till the audio is complete on the ASL side. for example, a 50+ second DMR transmission will have least a 10 second delay.

Any suggestions about the broken and delayed audio coming onto the ASL side?

Corey

Steve N4IRS

Corey,
Are you running ambeserver or serial connection to the ThumbDV?

Steve

On 12/28/2017 08:08 PM, Corey Badgley KC7MRQ wrote:
I've noticed a couple issues playing with the setup. The first was the thumbDV resetting after about 5 minutes of audio. I raised the input voltage and the reset problem appeared to go away.

The second issue is audio artifacts from DMR > ASL. The audio is broken like there are packet drops and a pretty large delay from the time the DMR station un keys till the audio is complete on the ASL side. for example, a 50+ second DMR transmission will have least a 10 second delay.

Any suggestions about the broken and delayed audio coming onto the ASL side?

Corey

Corey Badgley KC7MRQ

I am running the serial connection.

Steve N4IRS

OK,
Let us know the result of the long term test and the console output from Analog_Bridge.

On 12/28/2017 10:54 PM, Corey Badgley KC7MRQ wrote:
I am running the serial connection.

Corey Badgley KC7MRQ

Steve,
I ran the test4 again and changed the range to 10k. It completed the tests with zero errors.

Corey

Ed W8VT

Due to work have not had a chance to play with my project anymore this week. It is currently on a RPi 2 with a 3A supply. Would I be better off moving it over to an old X86 machine (also have RPi 3's  available) ?

Would be interested in seeing some working config files. Not clear on the BM connection. I would think this would be more like connecting a hotspot than a repeater, so not sure about the repeater ID, user ID, and CC TS entries. The repeaters on this cluster use a variety of CC and TS.

David

I am just starting this part.  The test with the dongle works.  I go to start Analog_bridge and it get all they way down to starting serial for the dongle and I get a Segmentation fault error.

ps  Running on a pi3

Steve N4IRS

David,
Just to verify, which Analog_Bridge are you running? For the Pi should be Analog_Bridge.ARM. You can rename it to just Analog_Bridge.
Also, please post your Analog_bridge.ini

73, Steve N4IRS

David

I redownloaded everything and now that part is working.

I have Analog_bridge running right I think.
Do I run hblink.py or hb_bridge_all.py?

I do have some things in hblink.cfg.

When I connect to the allstar node from another analog_bridge does show my ptt on and off.
Thanks for the help.

On Tue, Jan 2, 2018 at 8:46 PM, Steve N4IRS <szingman@...> wrote:
David,
Just to verify, which Analog_Bridge are you running? For the Pi should be Analog_Bridge.ARM. You can rename it to just Analog_Bridge.
Also, please post your Analog_bridge.ini

73, Steve N4IRS

David

After digging threw GitHub I found hb_bridge.  It is all working for me now.