Analog_Bridge for the Raspberry Pi

Steve N4IRS

Due to ongoing issues with the DV3000 and the Raspberry Pi, I have removed Analog_Bridge for the Pi from the repository.

Matthew 2E0SIP

Does this include ThumbDV dongles?

If it's solely power related, maybe using a powered USB hub will help?

Thanks

Steve N4IRS

It's actually specific to the ThumbDv (DV3000u) It may well be power. The existing initialization code follows the NWDigital spec but does not prove actual valid data to and from the Vocoder.
As a note, we are not seeing the problem with the GPIO based Vocoder. I'll follow up as we know more.

Steve

On 6/22/2017 9:54 AM, Matthew 2E0SIP wrote:

Does this include ThumbDV dongles?

If it's solely power related, maybe using a powered USB hub will help?

Thanks

Peter M0NWI

Hi Steve,

Looking at NWDigital's site the GPIO version is out of stock, and they are recommending people purchase the DV3000u, so if there's issues maybe they could assist?

73,

Peter

It's actually specific to the ThumbDv (DV3000u) It may well be power. The existing initialization code follows the NWDigital spec but does not prove actual valid data to and from the Vocoder.
As a note, we are not seeing the problem with the GPIO based Vocoder. I'll follow up as we know more.

Steve

On 6/22/2017 9:54 AM, Matthew 2E0SIP wrote:

Does this include ThumbDV dongles?

If it's solely power related, maybe using a powered USB hub will help?

Thanks

Steve N4IRS

We have been talking to them for a while.

Thanks, Steve

On 6/22/2017 10:29 AM, Peter M0NWI wrote:

Hi Steve,

Looking at NWDigital's site the GPIO version is out of stock, and they are recommending people purchase the DV3000u, so if there's issues maybe they could assist?

73,

Peter

It's actually specific to the ThumbDv (DV3000u) It may well be power. The existing initialization code follows the NWDigital spec but does not prove actual valid data to and from the Vocoder.
As a note, we are not seeing the problem with the GPIO based Vocoder. I'll follow up as we know more.

Steve

On 6/22/2017 9:54 AM, Matthew 2E0SIP wrote:

Does this include ThumbDV dongles?

If it's solely power related, maybe using a powered USB hub will help?

Thanks

Steve Siesel [K4KSA]

Do you think this is a short delay…making it work in a Pi? If not I have a HP SFF PC to use…Probably a little over the top…

8 gb of Ram

500 mb SSD

3.16 Core 2 Duo cpu….

Thoughts?

It's actually specific to the ThumbDv (DV3000u) It may well be power. The existing initialization code follows the NWDigital spec but does not prove actual valid data to and from the Vocoder.
As a note, we are not seeing the problem with the GPIO based Vocoder. I'll follow up as we know more.

Steve

On 6/22/2017 9:54 AM, Matthew 2E0SIP wrote:

Does this include ThumbDV dongles?

If it's solely power related, maybe using a powered USB hub will help?

Thanks

Steve N4IRS

I hope it will be a short delay. Once we have a validation program, we will know more. One of the options we are considering is to change the RPi version of Analog_bridge WITHOUT support for USB. It would be AMBEserver only.
Once we have the validation program I will test on other ARM based systems. OrangePi, NanoPi, Odroid etc.

On 6/22/2017 12:33 PM, Steve Siesel [K4KSA] wrote:

Do you think this is a short delay…making it work in a Pi? If not I have a HP SFF PC to use…Probably a little over the top…

8 gb of Ram

500 mb SSD

3.16 Core 2 Duo cpu….

Thoughts?

It's actually specific to the ThumbDv (DV3000u) It may well be power. The existing initialization code follows the NWDigital spec but does not prove actual valid data to and from the Vocoder.
As a note, we are not seeing the problem with the GPIO based Vocoder. I'll follow up as we know more.

Steve

On 6/22/2017 9:54 AM, Matthew 2E0SIP wrote:

Does this include ThumbDV dongles?

If it's solely power related, maybe using a powered USB hub will help?

Thanks

Steve N4IRS

Edited

I have replaced Analog_Bridge in the Analog_Bridge repository on GitHub  Mike has uploaded the new version of the confidence test for DV3000 (AMBEtest4.py).
This new version of confidence test is significantly more complete. The number and complexity of the testing has improved and even more will be added.
Support for testing a remote AMBEserver has been added. DO NOT run on the same machine as AMBEserver. AMBEtest4.py -i 192.168..1.10
If your DV3000 FAILS the tests, you can be confident that Analog_Bridge will not work properly. If the DV3000 passes, you might have a shot.

The options are: vens
v == verbose test is normally silent.
e == stop on errors
n == use 460800 for baud rate (Newer DV3000u)
s == serial port
i == address of AMBEserver if that's what you are testing

AMBEtest4.py -v -e -n -s /dev/ttyUSB0
AMBEtest4.py -v -e -i 192.168.1.1

What I am finding is that power is the MOST critical issue. To force errors, I am using a 1.35A power supply. Even adding a USB extension cable or thick cable affects results.
It LOOKS like the DV3000 resets when sent a frame to decode or encode if there is a problem.
73, Steve N4IRS