Analog_Bridge to D-Star audio levels

Mike, AA9VI

I am trying to increase the audio amplitude from Allstar to dummyrepeater using Analog_Bridge.  Besides Analog_Bridge.ini settings where can I do this?

Thanks,
Mike, AA9VI

Mike, AA9VI

Steve,
I noticed the source of my problem was setting AUDIO_UNITY on the ASL side in Analog_Bridge.ini.  Unity sounds better but the amplitude is probably 40% of what it needs to be.  Is there any way to bump up that level?  If I set AUDIO_USE_AGC I get the right drive level but the audio quality is a little less smooth.  I also experimented with AUDIO_USE_GAIN and that is about the same as with AGC interms of audio fidelity.

Question 2:  What  other AMBE interfaces can work with Analog_Bridge besides the ThumbDV from NW Digital?  I wonder if there is a better transcoder out there.

Mike, AA9VI

Steve N4IRS

Mike,
Just to be clear, we are talking about DummyPrepeater to AllStarLink?

DummyRepeater <---> Allstarlink

Steve

On 02/11/2018 10:22 AM, Mike Swiatkowski via Groups.Io wrote:
Steve,
I noticed the source of my problem was setting AUDIO_UNITY on the ASL side in Analog_Bridge.ini.  Unity sounds better but the amplitude is probably 40% of what it needs to be.  Is there any way to bump up that level?  If I set AUDIO_USE_AGC I get the right drive level but the audio quality is a little less smooth.  I also experimented with AUDIO_USE_GAIN and that is about the same as with AGC interms of audio fidelity.

Question 2:  What  other AMBE interfaces can work with Analog_Bridge besides the ThumbDV from NW Digital?  I wonder if there is a better transcoder out there.

Mike, AA9VI

Mike, AA9VI

Yes.

Steve N4IRS

Analog_Bridge is not used in that configuration. we can look at adding audio level controls to DummyRepeater

Mike, AA9VI

Steve,It's used quite a bit more than you think.  You don't have to look that hard on google or Yahoo to find examples.  There is no easy way to go from DMR to D-Star so Analog_bridge is used.  I guess you could use XLX these days and maybe that's another option.

Steve N4IRS

DMR to D-Star, yes you need Analog_Bridge
 D-Star to ASL Analog_Bridge is NOT used.

I think I know pretty well how Analog_Bridge, HB_Bridge, IPSC_Bridge are used.

73, Steve N4IRS

On 2/13/2018 9:21 AM, Mike Swiatkowski via Groups.Io wrote:
Steve,It's used quite a bit more than you think.  You don't have to look that hard on google or Yahoo to find examples.  There is no easy way to go from DMR to D-Star so Analog_bridge is used.  I guess you could use XLX these days and maybe that's another option.

Steven Blackford

Hey Mike,
    Hope things are going well.  What happened w/ the audio levels from when we initially setup your bridge?  I've setup various different bridges & the only time I've had to modify the audio levels was when going from ASL<->DMR.  That did take a while to get the audio level set.   Post your current Analog_Bridge.ini file & we can start then start modifying it to bring the levels to what you need.  You just need to do it in small increments & test it.

As far as different AMBE devices goes, you can use the PIDV, ThumbDV for the DMR side of things and you can also use them for D-Star along w/ the original Blue DV-Dongle as well.  I use a PIDV and a DV-Dongle for my DStar<->DMR bridge.  PIDV's are great because you don't have the USB issues to deal with on PI's, but they're hard to come by these days.

73 de K4SQI.

Steve, K4SQI

--
-----
Steve, kb7sqi@...

Steven Blackford

Hey Mike,
   Just to follow up on using ThumbDV's with the XLXD software.  Like I told you in chat, I've setup a few of these now.  They work great & have been rock solid using the 1.1 version of the AMBED server software.  I've had lots of issues w/ dropouts on the 1.3 version.  I also modified the latency in the 1.1/1.3 versions to try to cut down on the issues.  That' makes all the difference in the world on the 1.1 version.  The default value is 4, drop it down to 1 & I haven't had any issues at all.  If you need more info about that, let me know.  I will say that as far as doing the DMR<->D-Star bridge either setup works.  Using the Analog_Bridge, HB_Bridge, Dummy Repeater is the most flexible way to go.  It allows you to changes things on the fly pretty quickly.  Twice a week normally I swap the "Carolina Link" from it's home on XLXD054B over to REF054C/REF061C for a couple of nets.  With the XLXD reflector I have setup, I can't do that, but I do have a full time interlink from the BM Network on that & it works great after making the changes noted above.   I've had better luck setting the XLXD transcoding system  on an X64 system also.    I know a few people running them on PI3's & have good luck.  The last one I helped setup, we even used a powered USB Hub & had issues w/ it being reliable.  Just my $0.02. :-)  Hope that helps.  73 de K4SQI.

Steve, K4SQI

On Tue, Feb 13, 2018 at 9:21 AM, Mike Swiatkowski via Groups.Io <mjswiatk@...> wrote:
Steve,It's used quite a bit more than you think.  You don't have to look that hard on google or Yahoo to find examples.  There is no easy way to go from DMR to D-Star so Analog_bridge is used.  I guess you could use XLX these days and maybe that's another option.

--
-----
Steve, kb7sqi@...

Steve N4IRS

Mike,
A little history for you. Mike, N4IRR and I discovered the work Cort did on DMRLink a few years ago. We quickly realized that it could be leveraged to connect a c-Bridge to AllStarLink. We forked DMRlink and created DMRGateway. So as to not require any changes to AllStarLink, we decided to re-purpose the chan_usrp channel driver. We had a working DMR to AllStarLink gateway. Somewhere around that time, Cort invited us to work directly on DMRLink and later HBlink. When it came time to add the same capability to HBlink we decided to slightly modify the connectivity approach. Each "Network" would get a connectivity Partner. We had DMRlink (IPSC), HBlink (HB) and AllStarLink (analog) A new naming convention was in order. So we renamed DMRGateway to Analog_Bridge and added IPSC_Bridge and HB_Bridge.
As a side note, days after we renamed to Analog_Bridge, G4KLX released DMRGateway for use by MMDVMHost.

One of the things I was asked for a LOT was a replacement for the AllStarLink chan_dstar channel driver. We decided "why recreate the wheel?" We knew DummyRepeater and ircDDBGateway from G4KLX did everything we needed to connect to D-Star. It output and input analog audio. Why not just modify DummyRepeater to use analog audio in a format that AllStarLink could use? So, the modification to DummyRepeater does just that, it uses the USRP formatted PCM. A simple AllStarLink to D-Star bridge just uses DummyRepeater and AllStarLink. Analog_Bridge is not used in that configuration. Along the same lines a bridges to YSF and P25 are working now. The P25Bridge test is in daily use on BM TG 31665 and P25 TG 31665.

All of these things are built on the same premise that Cort defined, "We don't build networks, we build tools to build networks" All of these pieces are mix and match. Pick what you want to connect to and choose that partner. Nothing is built in a vacuum. Without the work of Cort, Jonathan and others, we would have nothing to connect to.

So yes, I think I know how Analog_Bridge is used.