Another support option

Steve N4IRS

We have been aware that some of the support e-mails have caused so very large threads with short messages back and forth as I have worked to help a user through a problem. Some users who are subscribed to individual e-mails have been spamed by this and have unsubscribed. Digest subscription will solve this. I have not wanted to move this traffic to private e-mail since the purpose of groups.io is to provide a place where people can find similar issues and resolve them. Going to private e-mail removes the resolution from the forum.

So, we are going to try something different. We have a Telegram group setup Telegram to try to move some of the quick back and forth off groups.io. I will post the resolution on groups.io once we have a resolution.  To keep from having the Telegram room spammed by bots and people, we have implemented a system where you must verify you are a ham to join the room. This is a bot created by Vladimir AC2F and I must say, it's pretty cool. The invite link is Join DVSwitch Telegram group You must be a telegram user to join. There are quite a few ham related rooms. Join us.

Steve N4IRS

Mike KB8JNM

While I may be alone, I do not support using a 3rd party service for our forums.

I have since the beginning 'MUTE THIS TOPIC' when the back and forth short messages overload my email.

But never unsubscribe.  And I am subscribed to all forums.

On 2/26/2021 9:40 AM, Steve N4IRS wrote:
[...]

WD0FYF Gerald

I find the troubleshooting process and the tools used to delve into the workings of the machine very educational. I will miss them.

Gerald WD0FYF

On 2/26/2021 8:40 AM, Steve N4IRS wrote:
[...]

Ian Tulley

Hi Steve, tried to join, already telegram user, I got the message to send a PM within 10 minutes but where do I send a PM. After the 10 minutes I was removed and my username already has my callsign.
Now if I try to join again it tells me sorry this group is private.

Regards
Ian (VK2HK)

Typo's, autocorrect or spelling mistakes courtesy of both myself and my iPhone

On 27 Feb 2021, at 07:21, WD0FYF Gerald <wd0fyf@...> wrote:

[...]

You should send a private message to the bot with just your callsign. You will be able to rejoin in about 10 minutes.

On 2/26/21 4:14 PM, Ian Tulley wrote:
[...]

It told me I was locked to read only, could not type anything after that message

On 27 Feb 2021, at 08:22, Steve N4IRS <szingman@...> wrote:

[...]

Jeff Lehman, N8ACL

Click on the bots picture or name and it will take you to it’s profile then click message, click start and type in your callsign.

Jeff

On Feb 26, 2021, at 4:27 PM, Ian Tulley <ian@...> wrote:

[...]

Thanks Jeff, yep tried that but there was no “message”selection. Not sure if it is my iPhone app. I will wait until I can try to join again and give it another go.

On 27 Feb 2021, at 08:30, Jeff Lehman, N8ACL via groups.io <n8acl@...> wrote:

[...]

I have cleared your account, you can retry.

On 2/26/21 4:41 PM, Ian Tulley wrote:
[...]

This is the iOS app…. Not sure what you are seeing?

Jeff

On Feb 26, 2021, at 4:41 PM, Ian Tulley <ian@...> wrote:

[...]

Hi Jeff, I’m connected now but when I originally hit the INAD icon it took me to this page

Then I had to hit the INAD icon again to take me to where I could select message.
All done now though but thought I should post this on case others get caught.

Regards
Ian (VK2HK)

Typo's, autocorrect or spelling mistakes courtesy of both myself and my iPhone

On 27 Feb 2021, at 08:52, Jeff Lehman, N8ACL via groups.io <n8acl@...> wrote:

<PastedGraphic-1.tiff>

[...]

Excellent idea Steve.  Telegram is a great medium for this sort of troubleshooting.  It's much easier for those experiencing issues as well.

On 27/2/21 1:40 am, Steve N4IRS wrote:
[...]

73 de Tony VK3JED/VK3IRL
http://vkradio.com

Yeah, I managed to follow the bouncing ball, all good.  The bot let me in fine. :)

On 27/2/21 8:21 am, Steve N4IRS wrote:
[...]

N9UMJ

Steve

I've looked at Telegram and it looks like a very good option, If it's possible could you contact me for a PM , I'm having an issue to resolve and don't want to tie up the forum.

Thank you

Aerodan

Thanks Steve, Telegram looks to be working. Question: will there still be a way for people to search for answers to questions, or maybe google search telegram conversations? Knowledge lost is bad, though Telegram seems more like text message style question/answer.

Steve N4IRS

We are learning from telegram the issues as they arise. Right now those issues are being captured for documentation.

Sent via smoke signal (AT&T)