Topics

Any router port forwarding requirements for MMDVM Bridge or DVSwitch

Gary - KE8O <Garymackey@...>

I know in the MB ini file there are internal TX and RX UDP ports that need to match up for the various connections. But I’ve not found any mention of external  port forwarding requirements for the server running DV and MB.  Are there any port forwarding requirements ?

Steve KC1AWV

Typically, no port forwarding is needed for MB. Most firewalls nowadays are smart, so they'll realize that when you make a connection out to a master server, the traffic coming back from the IP address you're talking to should go back to the machine running MB. Unless you're running some sort of hardened network.

Most users install AB and MB on the same machine, so no port forwarding will be needed on the router for those two programs to talk to each other.

Of course your mileage may vary depending on your setup, of which no details were provided in your message.

Steve KC1AWV

--
Steve Miller
KC1AWV

Gary - KE8O <Garymackey@...>

Thanks Steve that’s good to know and explains why I didn’t find other discussion in the forum. I stood up a new YSF2DMR bridge last night. I didn’t see any errors in my MB log and I double checked the connector in / out ports to make sure they aligned. However, I missed a zero in the port assignment my ysfreflector  uses and that made a world of difference. The timing of Steve’s post describing how MMDVM works on June 10th was perfect.