Topics

ASL BeagleBone Black

Mike/W5JR

I’ve finally gotten around to making an SD card for the BBB ASL image. I’m trying to log into the unit for the first time with this SD card. I’m connected to it via ssh port 22 just fine and it appears to accept the “repeater” user name. Entering the password specified in the readme file of “allstarlink” isn’t working. I’ve tried some capitalization perturbations, but no joy. Is there a different pw? Reimage the SD card? Looking for ideas.

Tnx
Mike/W5JR
Alpharetta GA

Steve KC1AWV

A quick Google search for Beaglebone Black AllStarLink provided a document with this information:

The login username is root and the PW is root

I also assume this is the hamvoip distribution? If so, you may get better help from the hamvoip folks.

--
Steve Miller
KC1AWV

Mike/W5JR

Nope, the ASL_1.01-20180228-armhf-bbb-strech-image.img. The accompanying readme file says user:repeater, pw:allstarlink, consistent with other ASL rpi versions.

I do have a couple of the early hamvoip bbb units operating (pre rpi) and wish to migrate them over to ASL. Yes, they are “root”.

I realize that little, if any, development is taking place on the ASL version. And absolutely *zero* development has taken place on the hv version in years.

tnx
Mike / W5JR
Alpharetta GA

On Oct 8, 2019, at 5:09 PM, Steve KC1AWV <smiller@...> wrote:

A quick Google search for Beaglebone Black AllStarLink provided a document with this information:

The login username is root and the PW is root

I also assume this is the hamvoip distribution? If so, you may get better help from the hamvoip folks.

On Tue, Oct 8, 2019 at 4:27 PM Mike/W5JR <w5jr.lists@...> wrote:
I’ve finally gotten around to making an SD card for the BBB ASL image. I’m trying to log into the unit for the first time with this SD card. I’m connected to it via ssh port 22 just fine and it appears to accept the “repeater” user name. Entering the password specified in the readme file of “allstarlink” isn’t working. I’ve tried some capitalization perturbations, but no joy. Is there a different pw? Reimage the SD card? Looking for ideas.

Tnx
Mike/W5JR
Alpharetta GA

--
Steve Miller
KC1AWV

Steve KC1AWV

> The accompanying readme file says user:repeater, pw:allstarlink, consistent with other ASL rpi versions.
Then, either the README is incorrect, or the image is incorrect. I'd ask whoever wrote the README in that case.

> I realize that little, if any, development is taking place on the ASL version. And absolutely *zero* development has taken place on the hv version in years.
Which ASL version do you mean? And as far as I can see, then last update to HamVOIP was on August 22, 2019 for the RPi 4.

HamVOIP has a release called Final Version (1.2.2) located here: https://www2.hamvoip.org/BBB/BBB_Allstar_V1.2.2.img.zip

Hope this helps.

On Tue, Oct 8, 2019 at 5:37 PM Mike/W5JR <w5jr.lists@...> wrote:
[...]

Hi, Steve.

The bbb version I’m inquiring about is *not* the hv bbb. This is the one the other Steve, N4IRS, put on the ASL_Images on the dvswitch site.

On Oct 8, 2019, at 5:50 PM, Steve KC1AWV <smiller@...> wrote:

> The accompanying readme file says user:repeater, pw:allstarlink, consistent with other ASL rpi versions.
Then, either the README is incorrect, or the image is incorrect. I'd ask whoever wrote the README in that case.

> I realize that little, if any, development is taking place on the ASL version. And absolutely *zero* development has taken place on the hv version in years.
Which ASL version do you mean? And as far as I can see, then last update to HamVOIP was on August 22, 2019 for the RPi 4.

HamVOIP has a release called Final Version (1.2.2) located here: https://www2.hamvoip.org/BBB/BBB_Allstar_V1.2.2.img.zip

Hope this helps.

On Tue, Oct 8, 2019 at 5:37 PM Mike/W5JR <w5jr.lists@...> wrote:
Nope, the ASL_1.01-20180228-armhf-bbb-strech-image.img. The accompanying readme file says user:repeater, pw:allstarlink, consistent with other ASL rpi versions.

I do have a couple of the early hamvoip bbb units operating (pre rpi) and wish to migrate them over to ASL. Yes, they are “root”.

I realize that little, if any, development is taking place on the ASL version. And absolutely *zero* development has taken place on the hv version in years.

tnx
Mike / W5JR
Alpharetta GA

On Oct 8, 2019, at 5:09 PM, Steve KC1AWV <smiller@...> wrote:

A quick Google search for Beaglebone Black AllStarLink provided a document with this information:

The login username is root and the PW is root

I also assume this is the hamvoip distribution? If so, you may get better help from the hamvoip folks.

On Tue, Oct 8, 2019 at 4:27 PM Mike/W5JR <w5jr.lists@...> wrote:
I’ve finally gotten around to making an SD card for the BBB ASL image. I’m trying to log into the unit for the first time with this SD card. I’m connected to it via ssh port 22 just fine and it appears to accept the “repeater” user name. Entering the password specified in the readme file of “allstarlink” isn’t working. I’ve tried some capitalization perturbations, but no joy. Is there a different pw? Reimage the SD card? Looking for ideas.

Tnx
Mike/W5JR
Alpharetta GA

--
Steve Miller
KC1AWV

--
Steve Miller
KC1AWV

Steve N4IRS

Mike,
You are correct on what SHOULD be the login and password. I built that image over a year ago so I'm a bit fuzzy. My BBB is packed up for a move so I can't test it here. I know Mike also has a BBB so if he can find it maybe he can test. As soon as I have a desk again (next week) I'll give it a try.

Sorry I can't be of more help right now.

Steve N4IRS

Sent by smoke signal (AT&T)

[...]

Thanks, Steve. I’m likely to reimage the SD card. I had the unit powered up for a few weeks anticipating connecting to it  and change the SSH port. It’s entirely possible “someone” beat me to it, ha. It’s been unplugged for about a month and I just got back to powering it up to work with it.

Good luck with the move.

tnx
Mike / W5JR
Alpharetta GA

On Oct 8, 2019, at 6:33 PM, Steve N4IRS <szingman@...> wrote:

[...]

Oops, error in the URL. Use this one.

tnx
Mike / W5JR
Alpharetta GA

On Oct 8, 2019, at 6:30 PM, Mike/W5JR via Groups.Io <w5jr.lists@...> wrote:

Hi, Steve.

The bbb version I’m inquiring about is *not* the hv bbb. This is the one the other Steve, N4IRS, put on the ASL_Images on the dvswitch site.

dvswitch.org/files/ASL_Images/BeagleBoard/Beagle_Board_Black/

tnx
Mike / W5JR
Alpharetta GA

On Oct 8, 2019, at 5:50 PM, Steve KC1AWV <smiller@...> wrote:

> The accompanying readme file says user:repeater, pw:allstarlink, consistent with other ASL rpi versions.
Then, either the README is incorrect, or the image is incorrect. I'd ask whoever wrote the README in that case.

> I realize that little, if any, development is taking place on the ASL version. And absolutely *zero* development has taken place on the hv version in years.
Which ASL version do you mean? And as far as I can see, then last update to HamVOIP was on August 22, 2019 for the RPi 4.

HamVOIP has a release called Final Version (1.2.2) located here: https://www2.hamvoip.org/BBB/BBB_Allstar_V1.2.2.img.zip

Hope this helps.

On Tue, Oct 8, 2019 at 5:37 PM Mike/W5JR <w5jr.lists@...> wrote:
Nope, the ASL_1.01-20180228-armhf-bbb-strech-image.img. The accompanying readme file says user:repeater, pw:allstarlink, consistent with other ASL rpi versions.

I do have a couple of the early hamvoip bbb units operating (pre rpi) and wish to migrate them over to ASL. Yes, they are “root”.

I realize that little, if any, development is taking place on the ASL version. And absolutely *zero* development has taken place on the hv version in years.

tnx
Mike / W5JR
Alpharetta GA

On Oct 8, 2019, at 5:09 PM, Steve KC1AWV <smiller@...> wrote:

A quick Google search for Beaglebone Black AllStarLink provided a document with this information:

The login username is root and the PW is root

I also assume this is the hamvoip distribution? If so, you may get better help from the hamvoip folks.

On Tue, Oct 8, 2019 at 4:27 PM Mike/W5JR <w5jr.lists@...> wrote:
I’ve finally gotten around to making an SD card for the BBB ASL image. I’m trying to log into the unit for the first time with this SD card. I’m connected to it via ssh port 22 just fine and it appears to accept the “repeater” user name. Entering the password specified in the readme file of “allstarlink” isn’t working. I’ve tried some capitalization perturbations, but no joy. Is there a different pw? Reimage the SD card? Looking for ideas.

Tnx
Mike/W5JR
Alpharetta GA

--
Steve Miller
KC1AWV

--
Steve Miller
KC1AWV

Steve N4IRS

Yep, that's what I wrote.

On 10/8/19 6:43 PM, Mike/W5JR wrote:
> [...]

Alpharetta GA

On Oct 8, 2019, at 5:09 PM, Steve KC1AWV <smiller@...> wrote:

A quick Google search for Beaglebone Black AllStarLink provided a document with this information:

The login username is root and the PW is root

I also assume this is the hamvoip distribution? If so, you may get better help from the hamvoip folks.

On Tue, Oct 8, 2019 at 4:27 PM Mike/W5JR <w5jr.lists@...> wrote:
I’ve finally gotten around to making an SD card for the BBB ASL image. I’m trying to log into the unit for the first time with this SD card. I’m connected to it via ssh port 22 just fine and it appears to accept the “repeater” user name. Entering the password specified in the readme file of “allstarlink” isn’t working. I’ve tried some capitalization perturbations, but no joy. Is there a different pw? Reimage the SD card? Looking for ideas.

Mike Z, I did reimage, but no change. I also tried a few other perturbations without success.

No urgency/deadline on getting this going. Let me know when you get a chance to look at it once you’re settled in.

tnx
Mike / W5JR
Alpharetta GA

On Oct 8, 2019, at 7:06 PM, Steve N4IRS <szingman@...> wrote:

> [...]

Alpharetta GA

On Oct 8, 2019, at 5:09 PM, Steve KC1AWV <smiller@...> wrote:

A quick Google search for Beaglebone Black AllStarLink provided a document with this information:

The login username is root and the PW is root

I also assume this is the hamvoip distribution? If so, you may get better help from the hamvoip folks.

On Tue, Oct 8, 2019 at 4:27 PM Mike/W5JR <w5jr.lists@...> wrote:
I’ve finally gotten around to making an SD card for the BBB ASL image. I’m trying to log into the unit for the first time with this SD card. I’m connected to it via ssh port 22 just fine and it appears to accept the “repeater” user name. Entering the password specified in the readme file of “allstarlink” isn’t working. I’ve tried some capitalization perturbations, but no joy. Is there a different pw? Reimage the SD card? Looking for ideas.

Too much multitasking....

Steve Z.....

tnx
Mike / W5JR
Alpharetta GA

On Oct 9, 2019, at 11:30 AM, Mike/W5JR via Groups.Io <w5jr.lists@...> wrote:

> [...]

Alpharetta GA

On Oct 8, 2019, at 5:09 PM, Steve KC1AWV <smiller@...> wrote:

A quick Google search for Beaglebone Black AllStarLink provided a document with this information:

The login username is root and the PW is root

I also assume this is the hamvoip distribution? If so, you may get better help from the hamvoip folks.

On Tue, Oct 8, 2019 at 4:27 PM Mike/W5JR <w5jr.lists@...> wrote:
I’ve finally gotten around to making an SD card for the BBB ASL image. I’m trying to log into the unit for the first time with this SD card. I’m connected to it via ssh port 22 just fine and it appears to accept the “repeater” user name. Entering the password specified in the readme file of “allstarlink” isn’t working. I’ve tried some capitalization perturbations, but no joy. Is there a different pw? Reimage the SD card? Looking for ideas.

I was able to dig out my BBB and I burned the image. As you report, you can not ssh in as repeater with a password of allstarlink. I have no idea how I missed this.
It turns out the issue is not the password, the problem is ssh. I can't test it right now but I believe you could login via the console (HDMI and USB keyboard) or via a serial connection.

I do have a way to allow ssh login. Can you mount the SD card on a Linux machine as root?
If so, navigate to the etc directory on the card.
Add the following to sshd_config:
AllowUsers repeater
Save the file, unmount the SD card, insert the card in the BBB.
Login as repeater with a password of allstarlink
You will be required to change the password.

If you can't do this I will when I get time modify the image and reupload it to dvswitch.org

Sorry for the confusion,
Steve N4IRS

On 10/9/19 12:40 PM, Mike/W5JR wrote:
> [...]

Alpharetta GA

On Oct 8, 2019, at 5:09 PM, Steve KC1AWV <smiller@...> wrote:

A quick Google search for Beaglebone Black AllStarLink provided a document with this information:

The login username is root and the PW is root

I also assume this is the hamvoip distribution? If so, you may get better help from the hamvoip folks.

On Tue, Oct 8, 2019 at 4:27 PM Mike/W5JR <w5jr.lists@...> wrote:
I’ve finally gotten around to making an SD card for the BBB ASL image. I’m trying to log into the unit for the first time with this SD card. I’m connected to it via ssh port 22 just fine and it appears to accept the “repeater” user name. Entering the password specified in the readme file of “allstarlink” isn’t working. I’ve tried some capitalization perturbations, but no joy. Is there a different pw? Reimage the SD card? Looking for ideas.

I have modified (and not yet verified) the .img file on dvswitch.org The file is <http://dvswitch.org/files/ASL_Images/BeagleBoard/Beagle_Bone_Black/Stretch/ASL_1.01-20191009-armhf-bbb-stretch-image.img>

Steve N4IRS

Mike/W5JR

Great!!!

I’ll try it. Thanks for the quick turnaround. I have an old laptop that I’ve been thinking would make a perfect Linux computer for things just as you were describing.

tnx
Mike / W5JR
Alpharetta GA

On Oct 9, 2019, at 8:41 PM, Steve N4IRS <szingman@...> wrote:

Mike,
I have modified (and not yet verified) the .img file on dvswitch.org The file is <http://dvswitch.org/files/ASL_Images/BeagleBoard/Beagle_Bone_Black/Stretch/ASL_1.01-20191009-armhf-bbb-stretch-image.img>

I tested the updated image and you can login as repeater via ssh.
To be clear, I no longer "support ASL" I have turned that over to the ASL board and dev team. I doubt they will create a new BBB image (not even sure they knew it existed) Since I did build the images I do feel responsible for them at least working.

Mike N4IRR and I had a conversation this afternoon and we remember the BBB may exibit a problem inherent in all the ASL images. We have been made aware of a possible fix and the BBB may be a good place to test it. Stay tuned.

I would ask that we move this to the DVSwitch | allstarlink subgroup.

Steve N4IRS

On 10/9/19 9:15 PM, Mike/W5JR wrote:
Great!!!

I’ll try it. Thanks for the quick turnaround. I have an old laptop that I’ve been thinking would make a perfect Linux computer for things just as you were describing.

tnx
Mike / W5JR
Alpharetta GA

On Oct 9, 2019, at 8:41 PM, Steve N4IRS <szingman@...> wrote:

Mike,
I have modified (and not yet verified) the .img file on dvswitch.org The file is <http://dvswitch.org/files/ASL_Images/BeagleBoard/Beagle_Bone_Black/Stretch/ASL_1.01-20191009-armhf-bbb-stretch-image.img>

Steve N4IRS

Mike/W5JR

Thanks. And I’m signed up there, so will look for your next email.

I’ve got a few of these BBB’s laying around from the “before RPi” days. Too small/light for a doorstop.

tnx
Mike / W5JR
Alpharetta GA