ASL>DStar noise problem

G7RPG - Peter Kendall

Hi All,

I've got my Allstar node connected to DStar (DCS005E) using the dvswitch
modified version of dummy repeater.

All seems to be working well apart from a digital burst of noise that is
heard on DStar at the end of a transmission coming from ASL.

I've recorded an example here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=APkGjoLxKPk

I wonder if anyone has any suggestions or has come across this before?

73
Peter
G7RPG

Steve N4IRS

Peter,
I'm pulling this off the top of my head. Do you have the sound device in Dummy Repeater using snd-dummy?

73, Steve

On 3/15/2018 7:59 AM, G7RPG - Peter Kendall wrote:
Hi All,

I've got my Allstar node connected to DStar (DCS005E) using the dvswitch
modified version of dummy repeater.

All seems to be working well apart from a digital burst of noise that is
heard on DStar at the end of a transmission coming from ASL.

I've recorded an example here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=APkGjoLxKPk

I wonder if anyone has any suggestions or has come across this before?

73
Peter
G7RPG

G7RPG - Peter Kendall

Hi Steve,

Yes, followed your instructions from a previous post.

Peter

On 15/03/18 12:47, Steve N4IRS wrote:
Peter,
I'm pulling this off the top of my head. Do you have the sound device in Dummy Repeater using snd-dummy?

73, Steve

On 3/15/2018 7:59 AM, G7RPG - Peter Kendall wrote:
Hi All,

I've got my Allstar node connected to DStar (DCS005E) using the dvswitch
modified version of dummy repeater.

All seems to be working well apart from a digital burst of noise that is
heard on DStar at the end of a transmission coming from ASL.

I've recorded an example here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=APkGjoLxKPk

I wonder if anyone has any suggestions or has come across this before?

73
Peter
G7RPG

Steve N4IRS

OK, I may have to go back and find that message and edit it. DO you have a real sound device available in those pulldowns? If so select it. If not, can you add a simple sound device like a CM1xx and select it?

Steve

On 3/15/2018 8:53 AM, G7RPG - Peter Kendall wrote:

[...]

OK - I'll give that a try and report back.

On 15/03/18 12:56, Steve N4IRS wrote:
[...]

BINGO!

That fixed it, thanks Steve.

Its running under ESX and added an 'HD audio' device.

73
Peter

[...]

Cool,
Sorry for the initial misinformation. I should have gone back and revised that. I know that making DummyRepeater run headless etc is a pain. We will be replacing it with a MUCH simpler solution. Mike and I are discussing it at least once a day.

Steve

On 3/15/2018 9:12 AM, G7RPG - Peter Kendall wrote:

[...]

Steve,

Do you know if it is possible to manipulate the audio levels like you can with analog_bridge, DSTAR>ASL is quite low.

73
Peter

On 15/03/18 13:12, G7RPG - Peter Kendall wrote:

[...]

Steven Blackford

Peter/Steve,

    I ran into this problem a while back.  Peter, you have to modify the DummyRepeaterThread.cpp file.  The division by 3 drops the audio level pretty low.  So, I modified it to multiple by 1.5 instead.  If increase it to 2.0 or higher, you’ll start getting bad clipping, so I just left it @ 1.5.  It was late in the middle of the night when I looked @ this & it’s probably not the right way to correct the problem, but it has been working here. 😉 Here’s the change I made:

[root@k4sqi-allstar DummyRepeater]# diff DummyRepeaterThread.cpp.USRP.orig DummyRepeaterThread.cpp

80c80

<                       m_usrpPacket.audio[i] = (short)((audio[i*6]) * 32768.0F /  3.0F);

---

>                       m_usrpPacket.audio[i] = (short)((audio[i*6]) * 32768.0F *  1.5F);

[root@k4sqi-allstar DummyRepeater]#

73 de K4SQI!

Steve, K4SQI

[...]

Thanks Steve K4SQ,

That fixed it, changed to 1.5 and DStar audio levels now much closer to others on Allstar.

73
Peter
G7RPG