Wolfgang DK5UF

Hi folks,
please find enclosed a link to a  yesterdays Brandmeister news. According to
this news, my Dvswitch has been disabled yesterday. Are there
any thoughts to solve the problem  ?
vy 73 + 55s from Wolfgang, DK5UF
http://bm262.de/dmr-programme-fuer-handy-und-pc-wilde-links/

JJ Cummings

Were you using OpenBridge, had you coordinated a connection to Brandmeister and setup the OpenBridge connection with them, mapping the TGs that you wanted to be carried over the OpenBridge connection?  If this is not what you did, then that's why you were disconnected.

There are numerous conversations about this and information even on the BM site itself stating that you must use OpenBridge...

JJC

On Tue, Feb 9, 2021 at 10:44 AM Wolfgang DK5UF <worit@...> wrote:
Hi folks,

Steve N4IRS

Check your MMDVM_Bridge.ini

[Info]
RXFrequency=222340000
TXFrequency=224940000

Change to:
[Info]
RXFrequency=224940000
TXFrequency=224940000

Or, make sure your frequencies are the same (simplex)

Steve N4IRS

On 2/9/2021 7:50 AM, Wolfgang DK5UF wrote:
Hi folks,

G4WXN@...

Mine appears to be working fine.

--
Derek

G4WXN

G4WXN@...

What's openbridge?

--
Derek

G4WXN

Peter M0NWI

Have a Google, it's the network to network protocol, which you can pass concurrent channels of TGs down then split them out using the confbridge rules at you network end.  It's quite efficient and the right way to link. 

From: main@DVSwitch.groups.io <main@DVSwitch.groups.io> on behalf of G4WXN@... <G4WXN@...>
Sent: 09 February 2021 19:18
To: main@DVSwitch.groups.io <main@DVSwitch.groups.io>
Subject: Re: [DVSwitch] banned DVSwitch

What's openbridge?

--
Derek

G4WXN

Steve N4IRS

There are a LOT of politics in the discussion of OpenBridge vs HB (MMDVM) I can tell you when we worked with Cort on the Python implementation, it was envisioned as a mult-TG bridge solution. BM has always had a problem with HB. I really don't see a issue with a single reflector mode (P25, NXDN, YSF, ASL) using HB to connect to a Master. It is BM's sandbox and that's the way they want it. As of today, DVSwitch does not support OB nor the BM preferred connection from a Mobile device. In the case of Mobile that may be changing as we complete Simple Terminal Feature Update.

For OpenBridge, I suggest people wanting to bridge to BM start reading up on OB. Unlike HB, OB requires you coordinate with the Master to setup your connection. If that Master goes down you can not just move to a different Master. Before I start getting a bunch of flack about why move to OB, I'll say it again, it's BM's sandbox.

Steve N4IRS 

On 2/9/2021 2:29 PM, Peter M0NWI wrote:
Have a Google, it's the network to network protocol, which you can pass concurrent channels of TGs down then split them out using the confbridge rules at you network end.  It's quite efficient and the right way to link. 

From: main@DVSwitch.groups.io <main@DVSwitch.groups.io> on behalf of G4WXN@... <G4WXN@...>

What's openbridge?

--
Derek

G4WXN

G4WXN@...

I only use DVSwitch as a pseudo hotspot, with the DVSM app.

So do I even need openbridge?

--
Derek

G4WXN

Steve N4IRS

No, you do not. For now, just check the MMDVM_Bridge.ini file
This is the default:
[Info]
RXFrequency=222340000
TXFrequency=224940000

Change it to:
[Info]
RXFrequency=224940000
TXFrequency=224940000

In other words, Make it a simplex frequency.

Steve N4IRS

On 2/9/2021 2:50 PM, G4WXN@... wrote:

I only use DVSwitch as a pseudo hotspot, with the DVSM app.

So do I even need openbridge?

--
Derek

G4WXN

Peter M0NWI

Agreed Steve, but I suppose I'm coming from a network to network solution thinking.
MMDVM protocol works well for a more personal to TG solution.

From: main@DVSwitch.groups.io <main@DVSwitch.groups.io> on behalf of Steve N4IRS <szingman@...>
Sent: 09 February 2021 19:43

There are a LOT of politics in the discussion of OpenBridge vs HB (MMDVM) I can tell you when we worked with Cort on the Python implementation, it was envisioned as a mult-TG bridge solution. BM has always had a problem with HB. I really don't see a issue with a single reflector mode (P25, NXDN, YSF, ASL) using HB to connect to a Master. It is BM's sandbox and that's the way they want it. As of today, DVSwitch does not support OB nor the BM preferred connection from a Mobile device. In the case of Mobile that may be changing as we complete Simple Terminal Feature Update.

For OpenBridge, I suggest people wanting to bridge to BM start reading up on OB. Unlike HB, OB requires you coordinate with the Master to setup your connection. If that Master goes down you can not just move to a different Master. Before I start getting a bunch of flack about why move to OB, I'll say it again, it's BM's sandbox.

Steve N4IRS 

On 2/9/2021 2:29 PM, Peter M0NWI wrote:

What's openbridge?

--
Derek

G4WXN

Randy AA6RH

On Tue, Feb 9, 2021 at 11:43 AM, Steve N4IRS wrote:
And to amplify what Steve says here, we've been dealing with this for a lot longer over in HBLink (seeing as that was mostly Cort's work that I'm looking after now).

BM can run their network the way they want, and they've been very vocal about how they want connections into their network to function. The fact that they are blacklisting certain peer types is no surprise to me whatsoever.

The good news is that there's no reason really to panic (other than the fact that it will probably take you more than a day to sort this out). If you're interested in continuing to use BM's network, open a support ticket to set up a bridge and specify that it will be OpenBridge.

I get the feeling that they are funneling everyone that direction for a reason, but I don't know exactly what that reason is. What I will say is that once you do get OpenBridge working with them, your connection will probably perform better overall. I'm sure that there will be someone who will contradict that statement, so I will also say that YMMV and to always be on the lookout for a backup plan to the backup plan.

I'll be over the HBLink forum if you need me.

--R 
--
Randy Hall AA6RH (not K7AGE, quit asking) 😁

Wolfgang DK5UF

Thank you very much Steve for the hint. That was exactly my problem.
After changing the Frequencies to Simplex Frequencies I am reaccepted
by Brandmeister and dvswitch is working as perfect as it was before.
Many thanks for a great job you are doing and  I'm waiting impatiently for
the browser interface.
vy 73s and 55s from Wolfgang, DK%UF

Heiko DL1BZ

The use of OpenBridge only makes sense if using a system that works like a master (like Hblink). This is not a solution for client systems like DVSwitch mobile. Especially since it only works reliably with static IPs, which users normally do not have. If we speak of a server-2-server connection to create a bridge between two networks, I naturally agree with the choice of Openbridge as the preferred solution, which is exactly what has been implemented for this case.

As a developer, I would currently not want to follow the request of the German sysop team of the BM to move the developers to implement their own Open Terminal protocol. Do we really need that? Another protocol? Especially since it is currently only used by the BM as a result of their own prestige project with BOXCHIP.

73 Heiko, DL1BZ