Blocked DVS???

nh6bf

"Your callsign has been logged on either REF001 or REF030 using the DVSwitch software.

This software is experimental and has caused problems on the busy reflectors. As a result, the administrators of the reflector have blocked you on the reflector you were using it on.

Please do not use this software on Reflectors 001 and 030. Let me know when you stop using it and I will request you to be unblocked.

Terry N8LN"

I'm curious, what are the issues DVS causes with these reflectors?  I
run REF023, which is also a DPLus reflector, and a popular VK hub.  I
don't want to block DVS (quite the opposite), but would like to know
what the issues are and if necessary, whether there's a way to mitigate
them.  Only D-STAR I use with DVS is a bridge between D-STAR on XLX432 D
with other modes.  It's never given me any issues (once I worked out how
to get the ThumbDV to work with AB). :)

--
73 de Tony VK3JED/VK3IRL
http://vkradio.com

IK7VXC Mike

Edited

Actually there are no issues. If you use DVS with a hardware vocoder (AMBE) or an external Ambe Server or the like, the audio quality is very good. The only problem is if you use a sofware vocoder. In such case the audio from the mic is overly saturated and distorted (unless you set the mic audio gain to 0.05). This gives an excuse to some narrow-minded "talibans" to demonize DVS or other applications. But only because they believe the only way to go is to use a "proper" radio. That's all. There is another thread where I talk about this.

--
73 de Mike IK7VXC

nh6bf

I use a ThumbDV (has an AMBE chip).

IK7VXC Mike

And so do I. But you've been blocked not because you were causing "problems", but because you were using DVS. Like I said, these people don't like apps and abuse of their power ...

nh6bf

On Tue, Jun 21, 2022 at 08:29 PM, Tony Langdon wrote:
(once I worked out how
to get the ThumbDV to work with AB). :)
Ok, how???

Jason - WY7JT

We should add the ability to change the DVS identifier on D-Star. Those reflectors allow AMBE identified users. Kind of funny, they'll allow you to use the ThumbDV (or other vocoder) with a computer or BlueDV on Android (usually overdriven a bit), but frown on DVSwitch Server where you're just doing the same thing. I monitor those on occasion with DVS, but I've never heard anyone use DVS without a vocoder. I would have to think it has to do with bridging. Perhaps just change the identifier to AMBE if an AMBE dongle is present in your DVS install?

Jason - WY7JT

On Wed, Jun 22, 2022 at 8:16 AM nh6bf via groups.io <lr60=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
On Tue, Jun 21, 2022 at 08:29 PM, Tony Langdon wrote:
(once I worked out how
to get the ThumbDV to work with AB). :)
Ok, how???

On 22/6/22 4:33 pm, IK7VXC Mike wrote:

[Edited Message Follows]

Actually there are no issues. If you use DVS with a hardware vocoder
(AMBE) or an external Ambe Server or the like, the audio quality is
very good. The only problem is if you use a sofware vocoder. In such
case the audio from the mic is overly saturated and distorted (unless
you set the mic audio gain to 0.05). This gives an excuse to some
narrow-minded "talibans" to demonize DVS or other applications. But
only because they believe the only way to go is to use a "proper"
radio. That's all. There is another thread where I talk about this.
Yeah that's a different issue.  I use DVSwitch on D-STAR as the
transcoding part part of a multimode reflector.  No complaints about
audio quality on D-STAR.  I use a ThumbDV with AB to do the actual
transcoding.

As for users on my reflector, if they can be understood, I have no
issues, but I can't guarantee someone won't make comments if someone
does happen to have poor audio.  I haven't tried the software vocoder
lately, so I don't know what it sounds like.

--
73 de Tony VK3JED/VK3IRL
http://vkradio.com

On 23/6/22 12:16 am, nh6bf via groups.io wrote:
On Tue, Jun 21, 2022 at 08:29 PM, Tony Langdon wrote:
(once I worked out how
to get the ThumbDV to work with AB). :)
Ok, how???

I set it up with a direct serial connection and set the baud rate to 460800.

[DV3000]
address = 127.0.0.1                 ; IP address of AMBEServer
rxPort = 2460                       ; Port of AMBEServer
address = /dev/ThumbDV              ; Device of DV3000U on this machine
baud = 460800                       ; Baud rate of the dongle (230400 or 460800)
serial = true                       ; Use serial=true for direct connect or serial=false for AMBEServer

I've used udev rules to create the symlink /dev/ThumbDV that points to the actual serial device, because I have multiple USB serial devices.  If you only have one USB serial device, you can use /dev/ttyUSB0

--
73 de Tony VK3JED/VK3IRL
http://vkradio.com

nh6bf