Brandmeister

David Andrzejewski KD8TWG

I'm interested in connecting a conf bridge between my repeater and brandmeister.  How is this typically handled?

Steve N4IRS

David,
First a few questions. What type of repeater is is? MMDVM? Motorola? All available TGs or a subset?
More information about what you are trying to accomplish will help us answer.

73, Steve N4IRS

On 6/29/2017 9:40 AM, David Andrzejewski KD8TWG via Groups.Io wrote:
I'm interested in connecting a conf bridge between my repeater and brandmeister.  How is this typically handled?
_._,_._,_

It's a Motorola repeater.  I'm currently using DMRLink's confbridge to connect to it and to the K4USD cBridge, both via IPSC. My thought here is that we could potentially carry select additional talk groups and/or reflectors from BrandMeister as well as the standard talk groups we get from K4USD.  Obviously I wouldn't bridge anything between K4USD and BM, only between those two sources and the repeater. :)

Steve N4IRS

Below is a section of my conference bridge configuration for confbridge.py
The DMR-MARC is a connection to a c-Bridge and BM_3108 is a connection to BrandMeister.
Walton, IRSC etc are my repeaters.

Hope this helps.

'STATEWIDE': [
            {'SYSTEM': 'DMR-MARC',  'TS': 2, 'TGID': 3112,    'ACTIVE': True, 'TIMEOUT': 2,  'TO_TYPE': 'NONE', 'ON': [],         'OFF': []},
            {'SYSTEM': 'STN2100',   'TS': 2, 'TGID': 3112,    'ACTIVE': True, 'TIMEOUT': 2,  'TO_TYPE': 'NONE', 'ON': [],         'OFF': []},
            {'SYSTEM': 'Walton',    'TS': 2, 'TGID': 3112,    'ACTIVE': True, 'TIMEOUT': 2,  'TO_TYPE': 'NONE', 'ON': [],         'OFF': []},
            {'SYSTEM': 'IRSC',      'TS': 2, 'TGID': 3112,    'ACTIVE': True, 'TIMEOUT': 2,  'TO_TYPE': 'NONE', 'ON': [],         'OFF': []},
            {'SYSTEM': 'N4IRR',     'TS': 2, 'TGID': 3112,    'ACTIVE': True, 'TIMEOUT': 2,  'TO_TYPE': 'NONE', 'ON': [],         'OFF': []},
            {'SYSTEM': 'N4IRS',     'TS': 2, 'TGID': 3112,    'ACTIVE': True, 'TIMEOUT': 2,  'TO_TYPE': 'NONE', 'ON': [],         'OFF': []},
       ],

'TAC310': [
            {'SYSTEM': 'DMR-MARC',  'TS': 2, 'TGID': 310,     'ACTIVE': True,  'TIMEOUT': 2, 'TO_TYPE': 'NONE', 'ON': [],         'OFF': []},
            {'SYSTEM': 'STN2100',   'TS': 2, 'TGID': 310,     'ACTIVE': True,  'TIMEOUT': 2, 'TO_TYPE': 'ON',   'ON': [310,],     'OFF': []},
            {'SYSTEM': 'Walton',    'TS': 2, 'TGID': 310,     'ACTIVE': True,  'TIMEOUT': 2, 'TO_TYPE': 'ON',   'ON': [310,],     'OFF': []},
            {'SYSTEM': 'IRSC',      'TS': 2, 'TGID': 310,     'ACTIVE': True,  'TIMEOUT': 2, 'TO_TYPE': 'ON',   'ON': [310,],     'OFF': []},
            {'SYSTEM': 'N4IRR',     'TS': 2, 'TGID': 310,     'ACTIVE': True,  'TIMEOUT': 2, 'TO_TYPE': 'ON',   'ON': [310,],     'OFF': []},
            {'SYSTEM': 'N4IRS',     'TS': 2, 'TGID': 310,     'ACTIVE': True,  'TIMEOUT': 2, 'TO_TYPE': 'ON',   'ON': [310,],     'OFF': []},
        ],

'TCOAST': [
            {'SYSTEM': 'BM_3108',   'TS': 2, 'TGID': 31123,   'ACTIVE': True, 'TIMEOUT': 2,  'TO_TYPE': 'NONE', 'ON': [],         'OFF': []},
            {'SYSTEM': 'STN2100',   'TS': 2, 'TGID': 31123,   'ACTIVE': True, 'TIMEOUT': 2,  'TO_TYPE': 'NONE', 'ON': [],         'OFF': []},
            {'SYSTEM': 'Walton',    'TS': 2, 'TGID': 31123,   'ACTIVE': True, 'TIMEOUT': 2,  'TO_TYPE': 'NONE', 'ON': [],         'OFF': []},
            {'SYSTEM': 'IRSC',      'TS': 2, 'TGID': 31123,   'ACTIVE': True, 'TIMEOUT': 2,  'TO_TYPE': 'NONE', 'ON': [],         'OFF': []},
            {'SYSTEM': 'N4IRR',     'TS': 2, 'TGID': 31123,   'ACTIVE': True, 'TIMEOUT': 2,  'TO_TYPE': 'NONE', 'ON': [],         'OFF': []},
            {'SYSTEM': 'N4IRS',     'TS': 2, 'TGID': 31123,   'ACTIVE': True, 'TIMEOUT': 2,  'TO_TYPE': 'NONE', 'ON': [],         'OFF': []},
        ],

On 6/29/2017 10:46 AM, David Andrzejewski KD8TWG via Groups.Io wrote:
It's a Motorola repeater.  I'm currently using DMRLink's confbridge to connect to it and to the K4USD cBridge, both via IPSC. My thought here is that we could potentially carry select additional talk groups and/or reflectors from BrandMeister as well as the standard talk groups we get from K4USD.  Obviously I wouldn't bridge anything between K4USD and BM, only between those two sources and the repeater. :)
_._,_._,_

I appreciate that.  Actually I'm more interested in seeing your BM_3108 defintion in dmrlink.cfg!

Thanks!

Steve N4IRS

[BM_3108]
ENABLED: True
RADIO_ID: 3112138
IP:
PORT: 53108
ALIVE_TIMER: 5
MAX_MISSED: 20
PEER_OPER: True
IPSC_MODE: DIGITAL
TS1_LINK: True
TS2_LINK: True
CSBK_CALL: False
RCM: True
CON_APP: True
XNL_CALL: False
XNL_MASTER: False
DATA_CALL: True
VOICE_CALL: True
MASTER_PEER: False
GROUP_HANGTIME: 5
AUTH_ENABLED: False
AUTH_KEY:
MASTER_IP: 3108.repeater.net
MASTER_PORT: 55001

On 6/29/2017 12:39 PM, David Andrzejewski KD8TWG via Groups.Io wrote:
I appreciate that.  Actually I'm more interested in seeing your BM_3108 defintion in dmrlink.cfg!

Thanks!

Cort N0MJS <n0mjs@...>

Those tell me Steve is running DMRmonitor also — you should set both to False unless you’re using DMRmonitor also, or know exactly what they do and know you need them.

On Jun 29, 2017, at 11:40 AM, Steve N4IRS <szingman@...> wrote:

Cort Buffington
785-865-7206

Steve N4IRS

They are both set true in the sample config. I set them to false in the IPSC_Bridge branch.
I do remember this in the comments:
# CON_APP:          Third Party Console App - exactly what DMRlink is, should
#                   be set to True, and must be if you intend to process RCM

On 6/29/2017 1:05 PM, Cort N0MJS wrote:
Those tell me Steve is running DMRmonitor also — you should set both to False unless you’re using DMRmonitor also, or know exactly what they do and know you need them.

Cort Buffington
785-865-7206

Cort N0MJS <n0mjs@...>

Well crap… Guess I should have fixed that! I’ll get it in the next general update.

Here’s the real deal with CON_APP.

The connection to DMRmonitor and RCM is that “repeater call monitor” (RCM) messages sent by repeaters to 3rd party console apps are different than the ones sent to non-3rd party console apps (or at least they were back when I first wrote this). If you leave “CON-APP” enabled, you’re telling all of the peers in the IPSC system that you’re not a repeater, but some other piece of software…. disabling it was an attempt to look like a repeater and the default I *personally* ended up using.

Brandmeister already knows DMRlink it’s a Motorola repeater because it doesn’t talk XCMP, and thus thinks DMRlink is SmartPTT anyway… and I don’t think a c-Bridge cares… so it may not matter much in reality.

On Jun 29, 2017, at 12:14 PM, Steve N4IRS <szingman@...> wrote:

They are both set true in the sample config. I set them to false in the IPSC_Bridge branch.

Cort Buffington
785-865-7206

Cort Buffington
785-865-7206

Peter M0NWI

Cory,

Can i ask, could DMRlink generate RCM type traffic?  I have a downstream user who hosts their own DMRlink, but as i use rcm_db_log, i don't get any logging from it.

Peter

Sent from Outlook
From: DVSwitch@groups.io <DVSwitch@groups.io> on behalf of Cort N0MJS <n0mjs@...>
Sent: 29 June 2017 18:25:36
To: DVSwitch@groups.io
Subject: Re: [DVSwitch] Brandmeister

Well crap… Guess I should have fixed that! I’ll get it in the next general update.

The connection to DMRmonitor and RCM is that “repeater call monitor” (RCM) messages sent by repeaters to 3rd party console apps are different than the ones sent to non-3rd party console apps (or at least they were back when I first wrote this). If you leave “CON-APP” enabled, you’re telling all of the peers in the IPSC system that you’re not a repeater, but some other piece of software…. disabling it was an attempt to look like a repeater and the default I *personally* ended up using.

Brandmeister already knows DMRlink it’s a Motorola repeater because it doesn’t talk XCMP, and thus thinks DMRlink is SmartPTT anyway… and I don’t think a c-Bridge cares… so it may not matter much in reality.

Cort Buffington
785-865-7206

Cort Buffington
785-865-7206

Cort N0MJS <n0mjs@...>

It could as soon as someone writes code for it :)

I’ve been thinking about this. There’s still a lot about RCM I don’t know very well, but as I get a little better handle on it in reality, could look into having it generate RCM.

On Jun 29, 2017, at 3:47 PM, Peter M0NWI <peter-martin@...> wrote:

Cory,

Can i ask, could DMRlink generate RCM type traffic?  I have a downstream user who hosts their own DMRlink, but as i use rcm_db_log, i don't get any logging from it.

Peter

Sent from Outlook
From: DVSwitch@groups.io <DVSwitch@groups.io> on behalf of Cort N0MJS <n0mjs@...>

Cort Buffington
785-865-7206

Cort Buffington
785-865-7206

Cort Buffington
785-865-7206

Peter M0NWI

You've seen my code (lash up!!) and i think you barfed :)

Sent from Outlook
Sent: 29 June 2017 21:49:20

It could as soon as someone writes code for it :)

I’ve been thinking about this. There’s still a lot about RCM I don’t know very well, but as I get a little better handle on it in reality, could look into having it generate RCM.

On Jun 29, 2017, at 3:47 PM, Peter M0NWI <peter-martin@...> wrote:

Cory,

Peter

Sent from Outlook

Cort Buffington
785-865-7206

Cort Buffington
785-865-7206

Cort Buffington
785-865-7206

Apparently, because BrandMeister sees dmrlink as SmartPTT, that means that they have to statically configure a talk group for each time slot, and that's all you get.  It would be nifty if we could make BrandMeister see dmrlink as a regular repeater, so we could get all the features that they offer (dashboard, reflectors, etc)...

Steve N4IRS

Since DMRlink does not speak XCMP, BM wants to treat us a SmartPTT.
See <https://groups.io/g/DVSwitch/wiki/DMRlink-and-BrandMeister>

73, Steve N4IRS

On 07/01/2017 10:28 AM, David Andrzejewski KD8TWG via Groups.Io wrote:
Apparently, because BrandMeister sees dmrlink as SmartPTT, that means that they have to statically configure a talk group for each time slot, and that's all you get.  It would be nifty if we could make BrandMeister see dmrlink as a regular repeater, so we could get all the features that they offer (dashboard, reflectors, etc)...

Ah, got it. It would be nice if we could take full advantage, but no biggie. Now I need to figure out which two tall groups I want to carry from BM. Suggestions?