BrandMeister to XLX

Steve KC1AWV

Again, my testing suggestions are in the document, just before the section for enabling and starting the services.

Since you're not providing much information as to what the expected result of your test is, or what your test criteria are, I cannot tell you which steps are needed to test your work.

The only testing you have suggested is for two dissimilar protocols to talk to each other, which I have given you advice on. You need to set up transcoding for a DMR radio to talk to a DStar radio. That is out of scope of my document, and I cannot provide testing steps for that specific situation.

On Tue, Mar 19, 2019 at 3:01 PM andrew delgado via Groups.Io <andrew_12ph=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
On Wed, Mar 20, 2019 at 02:55 AM, Steve KC1AWV wrote:

You're on the right track, but only halfway there.
Thanks Steve!
one more question here. to the document that you've wrote. how can i fully test my work if that is working?

--
Steve Miller
KC1AWV

Scott Weis (KB2EAR)

I have a question…. Why would you use DVSwich at all for this when you can just do it natively?

https://wiki.brandmeister.network/index.php/XLX

[...]

Not to disparage BM helpdesk, but requesting an interlink takes a long time, at least in my experience. I have an interlink request outstanding since the beginning of February, hence the reason I wrote up that document. It's easier, and faster. Also, some (if not a lot) of users wanting to do this may not have direct access to the XLX server they want to link. It could also be used for testing before requesting an interlink. Just a few thoughts, I'm sure there may be more reasons.

On Tue, Mar 19, 2019 at 5:20 PM Scott Weis (KB2EAR) via Groups.Io <kb2ear=kb2ear.net@groups.io> wrote:

[...]

Ben Fogt

I agree, dealing with BM support is tough. It took about 2-3 months to get my intertie done. But the infrastructure is simple and im not really sure the need for additional software. More software = more management. My setup is simply:

BM <-> XLX <-> YSF2DMR <-> YSFReflector

This allows for pi-star users to use "DMR gateway" to connect directly (if BM keeps dropping the peer link like it does) and give easy access through BM and System Fusion.

I am just really curious what the added software adapters get ya that the simple connection method doesnt. Not arguing, just learning.

On Tue, Mar 19, 2019 at 4:33 PM Steve KC1AWV <smiller@...> wrote:
[...]

N5AMD

Jean-Marc F1SCA

Hi Nicolas,

IPSC2 can natively connect an XLX module, ask your IPSC2 sysop to do it

73 QRO Jean-Marc F1SCA

André Franco

Hi Steve. Great tutorial. However, im getting some problems regarding audio. The audio from XLX to BM works fine, however, when someone talks from the BM side it's just like it was a key up.. it doesn't hang during the whole session. I can see who is talking because the callsign does appear on dashboard. As i said, it's like a key up even if the session is > 20s and someone is talking, it only shows 0.1s. Any help would be appreciated.Thanks

Kevin Halton

Andre

Keep me in the loop on this. I was experiencing the same exact issue. Worked fine for well over a year then one morning just a quick keyup of a second or two. Audio passes from analog to dstar but nothing from dstar across.

On Apr 2, 2019, at 9:39 AM, André Franco <andre.francoo@...> wrote:

Hi Steve. Great tutorial. However, im getting some problems regarding audio. The audio from XLX to BM works fine, however, when someone talks from the BM side it's just like it was a key up.. it doesn't hang during the whole session. I can see who is talking because the callsign does appear on dashboard. As i said, it's like a key up even if the session is > 20s and someone is talking, it only shows 0.1s. Any help would be appreciated.Thanks

Steve KC1AWV

What does XLX show for the BM user talking? Are users connected to XLX able to talk to other XLX users fine?

On Tue, Apr 2, 2019 at 11:08 AM Kevin Halton <KA1MXL@...> wrote:
[...]

N0KEG

I tried setting up one of these last night but ran into that same problem.  It seems like XLX doesn't like the data being delivered by the DMRGateway_BM service.  When looking at the logs on XLX, the stream comes in and it goes into TX for just a second then XLX drops the call.  The BM user's call sign shows up on the XLX dashboard, so I guess some of the data is what XLX is expecting.  Has anyone been able to get this setup working?

BM<->DMRGateway_BM<->MMDVM_Bridge_BM<->MMDVM_Bridge_XLX<->DMRGateway_XLX<->XLXD

Steve KC1AWV

My most recent notes on BM to XLX:
  1. Take out DMRGateway, it's not needed.
  2. Two MMDVM_Bridges will be needed, just be sure not to use the same ports on each instance.
  3. Make sure the XLX server only sees DMR IDs that are 7 digits.
I haven't had a chance to try this setup again after Steve N4IRS recompiled MB. I've been using HBlink3 instead, testing that since BM admins have made mention previously that OpenBridge is preferred when using HBlink3.

I think BM is still supporting direct links from BM to XLX, though the admins are very busy and may not get to the helpdesk ticket right away.

Steve KC1AWV

On Wed, Jun 5, 2019 at 8:27 AM <raymond.strickoff@...> wrote:
I tried setting up one of these last night but ran into that same problem.  It seems like XLX doesn't like the data being delivered by the DMRGateway_BM service.  When looking at the logs on XLX, the stream comes in and it goes into TX for just a second then XLX drops the call.  The BM user's call sign shows up on the XLX dashboard, so I guess some of the data is what XLX is expecting.  Has anyone been able to get this setup working?

BM<->DMRGateway_BM<->MMDVM_Bridge_BM<->MMDVM_Bridge_XLX<->DMRGateway_XLX<->XLXD

--
Steve Miller
KC1AWV

N0KEG

Ok, no DMRGateway on either side?  Just a pair of bridges?

And yeah, I have a BM initiated link right now but like you said those guys are super busy. I need to change which TG I have linked and we have another system that wants to do a part time link one night a week so I want the keys to the kingdom so to speak.

Also, we had a major Internet outage here recently so I brought in a backup circuit.  If I'm initiating the connections outbound it makes the failover much easier to deal with.

Thanks for the tips!
Ray

Steve KC1AWV

Ugh, I got my AB and MB notes mixed up... I should probably label these things.

You don't need DMRGateway on the BM side, you will need it on the XLX side if you're rewriting TGs. You might want to try rewriting to TG 2, TG 6, or TG 9... I haven't figured out which one works juuuust yet and I left my HT at home so I can't test today.

On Wed, Jun 5, 2019 at 9:17 AM <raymond.strickoff@...> wrote:
Ok, no DMRGateway on either side?  Just a pair of bridges?

And yeah, I have a BM initiated link right now but like you said those guys are super busy. I need to change which TG I have linked and we have another system that wants to do a part time link one night a week so I want the keys to the kingdom so to speak.

Also, we had a major Internet outage here recently so I brought in a backup circuit.  If I'm initiating the connections outbound it makes the failover much easier to deal with.

Thanks for the tips!
Ray

--
Steve Miller
KC1AWV

N0KEG

I follow ya, makes sense.  I tried it the opposite way last night and tried connecting the XLX side without DMRG.  I was able to get it to link to the right module after making a call to 4001 (mod a) but still has the same problem.  I'll flip it around and put DMRG back on the XLX side and pull it from the BM side.

73,
Ray

N0KEG

Alright, this things driving me to drink....more.....

I've got 2 MB instances running and a DG going to XLX...

BM<->MB_BM<->MB_XLX<->DG_XLX<->XLX

I see traffic come in the 1st MB, and it goes to the 2nd MB.  If I do a tcpdump on loopback I see the traffic destined for the DG service port.  After that, the traffic disappears.

When I fire up DG, it does log into XLX and joins the module I want (4001/A).  I haven't played with the rewrite rules yet, but I figured I should at least see the traffic headed to the XLX box on the wire even if the TG is wrong?

David BV3UN

Hi N0KEG

may i know any update .i just see all of posts of this topic  and the doc write by Steve KC1AWV but still confused .
if i just whant to bradge DMR TG to XLX dmr module .as i understood as below item 1 right ?

1.BM<->DMRGateway_BM<->MMDVM_Bridge_BM<->MMDVM_Bridge_XLX<->DMRGateway_XLX<->XLXD
 or item 2 ?
2.BM<->DMRGateway_BM<->MMDVM_Bridge_BM<->MMDVM_Bridge_XLX<->XLXD
and 3 i need to follow doc to do rewite TG ??

thanks