Topics

Brandmeister to XLX

Patrick Perdue

Hello:

I found an old docc referring to using two instances of MMDVM_Bridge and DMRGateway to bridge DMR to XLX. Is this necessary anymore, or can we now just use two instances of MMDVM_Bridge, since it seems you can now specifically address XLX modules? I want to use XLX and ambed for transcoding DMR to D-STAR (DCS via XLXD) since this is already in place, and bridge between that and Brandmeister.

Steve KC1AWV

DMRGateway is not required. I have made a note in my old doc that reflects this. I will be creating a new doc that should be available after the holidays.

Steve KC1AWV

On Sat, Nov 30, 2019, 2:55 PM Patrick Perdue <patrick@...> wrote:
Hello:

I found an old docc referring to using two instances of MMDVM_Bridge and
DMRGateway to bridge DMR to XLX. Is this necessary anymore, or can we
now just use two instances of MMDVM_Bridge, since it seems you can now
specifically address XLX modules? I want to use XLX and ambed for
transcoding DMR to D-STAR (DCS via XLXD) since this is already in place,
and bridge between that and Brandmeister.

Patrick Perdue

OK.

I just tried setting up an instance of MMDVM_Bridge to point to 127.0.0.1 on port 62030 (MMDVM) using the DMRNetwork. I thought XLXD responded to that, but apparently it doesn't, as the connection timed out.

On 11/30/2019 2:57 PM, Steve KC1AWV wrote:
DMRGateway is not required. I have made a note in my old doc that reflects this. I will be creating a new doc that should be available after the holidays.

Steve KC1AWV

On Sat, Nov 30, 2019, 2:55 PM Patrick Perdue <patrick@...> wrote:
Hello:

I found an old docc referring to using two instances of MMDVM_Bridge and
DMRGateway to bridge DMR to XLX. Is this necessary anymore, or can we
now just use two instances of MMDVM_Bridge, since it seems you can now
specifically address XLX modules? I want to use XLX and ambed for
transcoding DMR to D-STAR (DCS via XLXD) since this is already in place,
and bridge between that and Brandmeister.

latest version of MMDVM_bridge works with no problems. Use the options XLX:4005 this being the module you want to connect to. 4001 for A 4002 for B etc. latest version is here https://github.com/DVSwitch/MMDVM_Bridge

Patrick Perdue

I downloaded the latest MMDVM_Bridge earlier today. My current issue is getting MMDVM-Bridge connected to XLXD on the same machine. I'm sure I've directly connected a hotspot to the reflector before, but that was a while ago.

The relevant part of MMDVM_Bridge.ini looks like this:

[DMR Network]
Enable=1
Address=127.0.0.1
Port=62030
Jitter=360
Local=62031
Password=passw0rd
Options=XLX:4002
Slot1=0
Slot2=1
Debug=0

Small part of the MMDVM_Bridge log:

E: 2019-11-30 21:34:28.884 DMR, Connection to the master has timed out, retrying connection

tcpdump shows active connections on UDP 62030, so XLXD should be accepting the connection from MMDVM_Bridge on that port.

On 11/30/2019 4:20 PM, Ernie Gm7kbk wrote:
latest version of MMDVM_bridge works with no problems. Use the options XLX:4005 this being the module you want to connect to. 4001 for A 4002 for B etc. latest version is here https://github.com/DVSwitch/MMDVM_Bridge

Use the ip address  of the machine not 127.0.0.1

[...]

Steve N4IRS

See Ernie's reply AND since you are running 2 copies of MB, change the local post on one of them

Sent by smoke signal (AT&T)

[...]

That was actually the first configuration I tried. Same result either with the Interface IP address, or local loopback. I’ll mess with it some more later. The MMDVM_Bridge part looks easy enough once I can get it talking to XLXD.

On Nov 30, 2019, at 16:39, Ernie Gm7kbk <erniepratt@...> wrote:

[...]

Oh yes, I forgot to mention that the MMDVM_Bridge is in its own directory with different rx and tx ports in DVSwitch.ini to avoid conflict with the existing bridge.

On Nov 30, 2019, at 16:49, Steve N4IRS <szingman@...> wrote:

[...]

The network address should point at the xlx reflector

Sent by smoke signal (AT&T)

[...]

You are going to do your cross connect in DVSwitch.ini

Sent by smoke signal (AT&T)

[...]

Currently, I have the address in the DMR Network stanza pointed to the XLX reflector <IP_ADDRESS:62030). I assume this is the network address you're referring to?

If so, then the reflector isn't doing much with that, and this is probably not a DVSwitch issue.

On 11/30/2019 5:22 PM, Steve N4IRS wrote:
[...]

No that's the port
My address looks like 192.168.1.66 this is the private network ipv4.

Xlx looks at the port of 62030 and the ipv4 address of the device. Or you can put in the external ipv4 address or web address.

[...]

Right. I wasn't referring directly to the INI file at the time.

My machine is on a VPS, so the IP of ETH0 is a public IP address.

So, it looks like this.

[DMR Network]
Enable=1
Address=<Public_IP_Of_The_Machine>
Port=62030
Jitter=360
Local=62031
Password=passw0rd
Options=XLX:4002
Slot1=0
Slot2=1
Debug=0

I've tried moving the local port as well.

In DVSwitch.ini, I have differentiated the RXPort and TXPort from my existing DMR to Allstar setup.

[DMR]
Address = 127.0.0.1             ; Address to send AMBE TLV frames to (export)
TXPort = 31200                  ; Port to send AMBE TLV frames to (export)
RXPort = 31203                  ; Port to listen on (import)
Slot = 2                        ; Export slot

On 12/1/2019 3:56 AM, Ernie Gm7kbk wrote:
[...]

What xlx are you trying to get into. As I set my odroid n2 to do the very same the other day. Just to check if the ports are open.

[...]

This is XLX679 module A.

FWIW: I copied the exact configuration over to a machine on my LAN, and it works there. Don't know what the difference is.

I have two instances of MMDVM_Bridge running -- one connected to Brandmeister, the other to my XLX reflector. Ports are inverted on the second instance of DVSwitch.ini.

Transmissions from Brandmeister make it to the reflector, but outbound from the module doesn't go back to the Brandmeister talkgroup. Do I need to use DMRGateway for talkgroup rewriting in this case?

On 12/1/2019 4:20 AM, Ernie Gm7kbk wrote:
[...]

No
If you have two instances running you have to change one of the local ports. Change 62032 to 62033. To test I always run In a terminal. Not as a service. Switch debug=1 then start up one get it going . Stop the working one then start the other and get it working. Fire up both once you have inverted the ports in the DVSwitch.ini.

[...]

The local ports are already different -- BM instance local port is 62032, XLX is 62034.

I have them both running in console.

Traffic passes fine from BM to XLX, but as soon as anyone transmits from D-STAR to the reflector, everything breaks, and traffic doesn't pass in either direction.

I don't see any log entries from either MMDVM_Bridge instance after that, until at least one of the bridges is restarted.

On 12/1/2019 5:18 AM, Ernie Gm7kbk wrote:
[...]

Your running on a vps. Where is the ambeserver? Don't think the problem is with MB. Only have the one instance of MB the one connected to xlx. In debug mode you should see traffic . I have seen me spending hours trying to find a fault finding it's just a typo

[...]

Xlx679 has got a red thumb. That's your problem. It's not working. No traffic will pass from the dstar side