Topics

Cloud hosting

W8DSB

What is a good cloud hosting company? Who are you using and why?

Craig Davidson

I am using virmach.com for $12.50 a year. That's a buck a month.

On several different machines we are running openvpn servers, simple
web pages, several IRLP reflectors, Another reflector for IRLP and
Echolink using software called The Linkbox, and also several Echolink
proxy servers. They have been up continuously for a year and a half
with no problems or outages.

On 6/25/20, W8DSB <@W8DSB> wrote:
What is a good cloud hosting company? Who are you using and why?

Pierre Martel

Do you know if they accept to BGP announce a /24 of 44 net ip address?

On 6/25/20, W8DSB <w8dsb@...> wrote:
> What is a good cloud hosting company? Who are you using and why?

Steve N4IRS

I will say it took a little work to get the the $12.50 a year price. Just follow the $2.50 a month "track" and they will adjust. I paid $10 for the first 12 months. I installed Debian 9 64 bit and when I did a reinstall I was able to install Debian 10. For $10 I can play with it for a year.

Steve

On 6/25/20, W8DSB <w8dsb@...> wrote:
> What is a good cloud hosting company? Who are you using and why?

Tom Corcoran

Not sure of the services nomenclature. Did you select KVM & SSD Windows VPS?

--
Tom VE3NY

Steve N4IRS

Edited

Affordable Linux VPS / Value+ / chose Micro+ / chose continue on Micro+ to SSD256 popup / chose Billing Cycle 12.50 Annually / chose Chicago location and  Debian 9 64 bit  / add to cart /  checked Limited Support Agreement / agreed to Limited Support Package - Information

I later reinstalled the machine and was able to select Debian 10

On 6/26/2020 7:57 AM, Tom Corcoran wrote:
Not sure of the services nomenclature. Did you select KVM & SSD Windows VPS?

--
Tom VE3NY

Tom Corcoran

tnx
--
Tom VE3NY

W8DSB

Thanks everyone, I am using AWS now (free for the first year) but they charge $131 / year for a static low traffic yearly price.

Jeff Lehman, N8ACL

Be carful with that. I managed to exceed my bandwidth for a couple of months and they started charging me for my over band width usage. It wasn’t much but what I thought would be free wasn’t. I want to say it was at most like .50 cents or a dollar but still. I ended up deleting the vps so I didn’t keep getting charged.

On Jun 26, 2020, at 18:20, W8DSB <w8dsb@...> wrote:

Thanks everyone, I am using AWS now (free for the first year) but they charge $131 / year for a static low traffic yearly price.

Tom Corcoran

Hello Steve,

I have successfully set up an image on Virmach on the budget plan you are using. However, when I go through the setup procedure using the W8RIK document, I get the following message near the very end of the install process when I execute the ./DVSwitch-System-Builder.sh command.

g++ -g -O3 -Wall -std=c++0x -pthread -c -o APRSWriter.o APRSWriter.cpp
In file included from APRSWriter.cpp:19:0:
APRSWriter.h:36:17: fatal error: gps.h: No such file or directory
 #include <gps.h>
                 ^
compilation terminated.

Any advice? I seem to be able to use the DMR function but none of the others. When I check the /opt/YSFGateway directory, I see a YSFGateway.ini file but no YSFGateway file. Same for P25 and NXDN.

--
Tom VE3NY

Steve N4IRS

Tom,
I have not tested this yet. I believe from your description that when the system build script tries to compile ysfgateway, it dies. Are you sure that DMR is fully working?
I will look at this some time over the next few days. That being said, the system builder script is going to radically change and will not have to compile any of the gateways in the near future.

Steve

On 6/27/20 10:53 AM, Tom Corcoran wrote:
[...]

Tnx Steve. DMR does function properly. Issue of missing files relates to YSF, NXDN and YSF. Not using DStar (audio quality poor without ThimbDV).

FWIW, following same process, I was able to setup a multi mode cloud server on Vultr.
--
Tom VE3NY

Steve N4IRS

Makes sense. What OS are you running?
uname -a

On 6/27/20 11:25 AM, Tom Corcoran wrote:
Tnx Steve. DMR does function properly. Issue of missing files relates to YSF, NXDN and YSF. Not using DStar (audio quality poor without ThimbDV).

FWIW, following same process, I was able to setup a multi mode cloud server on Vultr.
--
Tom VE3NY

Tom Corcoran

Debian 9 64 bit
--
Tom VE3NY

Matthew 2E0SIP

Do you know if they accept to BGP announce a /24 of 44 net ip address?

https://www.vultr.com/ are one of the few budget providers that will allow you to announce IPs via BGP

Corey Dean N3FE

Yes they do as I am using it for my 44 subnet.

Corey n3fe

On Jun 27, 2020, at 3:28 PM, Matthew 2E0SIP <groups.io@...> wrote:

Do you know if they accept to BGP announce a /24 of 44 net ip address?

https://www.vultr.com/ are one of the few budget providers that will allow you to announce IPs via BGP

Pierre Martel

Great to read this..

Le sam. 27 juin 2020 à 15:52, Corey Dean N3FE <n3fe@...> a écrit :
Yes they do as I am using it for my 44 subnet.

Corey n3fe

On Jun 27, 2020, at 3:28 PM, Matthew 2E0SIP <groups.io@...> wrote:

Do you know if they accept to BGP announce a /24 of 44 net ip address?

https://www.vultr.com/ are one of the few budget providers that will allow you to announce IPs via BGP

Steve N4IRS

I'm looking at this <https://bgpview.io/prefix/192.3.118.0/24>
any indication of would they announce 44?

On 6/27/20 3:52 PM, Corey Dean N3FE wrote:
Yes they do as I am using it for my 44 subnet.

Corey n3fe

On Jun 27, 2020, at 3:28 PM, Matthew 2E0SIP <groups.io@...> wrote:

Do you know if they accept to BGP announce a /24 of 44 net ip address?

https://www.vultr.com/ are one of the few budget providers that will allow you to announce IPs via BGP

Steve N4IRS

So far seems to work. I installed DVSwitch-Server on it. As Tom says, I wont run D-Star since it's a VM but for $10.00 a year it works (for now) As Corey will attest, we have been burned by cheap hosting before. Only time will tell is this holds up. I'll give it a little more time and spin up something a little busier.

root@DVSwitch-Server:/opt/MMDVM_Bridge# free -h
 total        used        free      shared  buff/cache   available
Mem:          231Mi       143Mi       7.0Mi       1.0Mi        80Mi        79Mi
Swap:         255Mi       4.0Mi       251Mi

root@DVSwitch-Server:/opt/MMDVM_Bridge# df -h
Filesystem      Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on
udev            102M     0  102M   0% /dev
tmpfs            24M  1.4M   22M   6% /run
/dev/vda1       9.6G  2.8G  6.4G  31% /
tmpfs           116M     0  116M   0% /dev/shm
tmpfs           5.0M     0  5.0M   0% /run/lock
tmpfs           116M     0  116M   0% /sys/fs/cgroup
tmpfs            24M     0   24M   0% /run/user/0

Mike KB8JNM

Who moderates Allstar@groupsio ?