Topics

Configuring DVSwitch Mobile to access own AllStarLink node

@k6lcm

I have my own AllStarLink node and I would like to use DVSwitch Mobile on Android to access it.  It seems like this is a very powerful Android app but I can't seem to find documentation to do this. Is there a step-by-step document somewhere?  I just need to know what to change on the node and how to configure the mobile app to match.

Steve N4IRS

On 11/19/2020 1:12 PM, lcm@... wrote:
I have my own AllStarLink node and I would like to use DVSwitch Mobile on Android to access it.  It seems like this is a very powerful Android app but I can't seem to find documentation to do this. Is there a step-by-step document somewhere?  I just need to know what to change on the node and how to configure the mobile app to match.

@k6lcm

Thanks, I followed those instructions and now I am able to at least get the app to recognize the node. However, when I click connect in the app, I hear "node 199..." from the phone speaker and then it gets cut off and there is a tone.  It never actually completes the connection.  FYI, the node is a stock HamVOIP that I just re-flashed so everything is default except for the stanza I added to iax.conf per the wiki.

Steve N4IRS

Sorry,
I though you said AllStarLink. This is from HAMVOIP. <https://hamvoip.org/howto/iaxrpt-config.pdf>

On 11/19/20 4:23 PM, lcm@... wrote:
Thanks, I followed those instructions and now I am able to at least get the app to recognize the node. However, when I click connect in the app, I hear "node 199..." from the phone speaker and then it gets cut off and there is a tone.  It never actually completes the connection.  FYI, the node is a stock HamVOIP that I just re-flashed so everything is default except for the stanza I added to iax.conf per the wiki.

@k6lcm

This looks to be how they are configured and I am still getting the "node 199..." and disconnect.  Has anyone verified that these instructions work with the latest HamVOIP img? I am on the same LAN so I don't think ports would be an issue.

Steve N4IRS

What is in the asterisk log when you connect?

On 11/19/20 7:10 PM, lcm@... wrote:
This looks to be how they are configured and I am still getting the "node 199..." and disconnect.  Has anyone verified that these instructions work with the latest HamVOIP img? I am on the same LAN so I don't think ports would be an issue.

@k6lcm

Edited

I think I figured it out. Two things:

1. DV Switch mobile app seems to only connect when using the [myphone-iaxrpt] stanza as the username. It will not connect to [iaxrpt]. It throws an invalid password or stanza. I verified the password so it is some other option.

2. I changed Line 60 of extensions.conf from 1998 to my node number. After doing that, I was able to connect without the "node 199..." disconnect error state.

Steve N4IRS

Without seeing the logs, iax.conf and extensions.conf there is not much I can do to help. I don't know what line 60 says.

On 11/19/20 7:24 PM, lcm@... wrote:

[Edited Message Follows]

I think I figured it out. Two things:

1. DV Switch mobile app seems to only connect when using the [myphone-iaxrpt] stanza as the username. It will not connect to [iaxrpt]. It throws an invalid password or stanza. I verified the password so it is some other option.

2. I changed Line 60 of extensions.conf from 1998 to my node number. After doing that, I was able to connect without the "node 199..." disconnect error state.

@k6lcm

Edited

This is the section where the 1998 needed to be changed to my node number:

[phone-iaxrpt]    ;;; Stanza is the context from iax.conf
exten => 42437,1,Answer
exten => 42437,n,Playback,rpt/node
exten => 42437,n,Playback,digits/1
exten => 42437,n,Playback,digits/9
exten => 42437,n,Playback,digits/9
exten => 42437,n,Playback,digits/8
exten => 42437,n,Set(CALLERID(num)=0)
exten => 42437,n,Rpt,1998|P|${CALLERID(name)} ;;; The "CallerID" from IAXRpt

I can show you the logs. Where will I find the log files in the dir structure?

I did some more troubleshooting and it seems to be related to the type setting.  When I change type=user to "friend" in the iax.conf [iaxrpt] stanza it will allow the app to connect using the iaxrpt user without throwing an error suggesting that there may be some issue with using the app to connect as a "user." Not sure the implications of that.

Example:

[iaxrpt]
user=iaxrpt
type=user friend
context=radio-iaxrpt
auth=md5
secret=  ; PASSWORD
host=dynamic
disallow=all
allow=ulaw
allow=gsm
transfer=no

Steve N4IRS

Both the ASL and HAMVOIP examples do not use the IAXRPT stanza, The ASL uses iaxclient and the HAMVOIP example uses joe-bobs-account That is the sample you should use. Yes, in both cases for DVSM, the type is friend. IAXRPT is used for the Windows client.
ASL uses the iax-client stanza in extensions.conf and HAMVOIP uses android-iaxrpt

Since you are using HAMVOIP, I would suggest you use the sample laid out in the document.

Steve N4IRS

On 11/19/20 9:38 PM, lcm@... wrote:

[Edited Message Follows]

[...]

Cool. Thanks for your help!

MarkVK3EME

On Fri, Nov 20, 2020 at 01:38 PM, @k6lcm wrote:

xten => 42437,n,Rpt,1998|P|${CALLERID(name)} ;;; The "CallerID" from IAXRpt

you may want to try changing the 1998 to your node number as well

Aerodan

I may be off totally on this, but Steve doesn't the new drop of DVSwitch configure regular Allstar nicely, rather than using Hamvoip? I've been meaning to switch over from HV but... if it ain't broke :) AD

Steve N4IRS

There are 2 different things in play here. You have to consider the capabilities of DVSwitch Mobile (the Android client) and DVSwitch Server.
DVSwitch Mobile can be a IAX client. As a IAX client it can directly communicate with a AllStar node. That node can be AllStarLink or HAMVOIP.
DVSwitch Mobile can also communicate as a USRP client. This is primarily intended to communicate with DVSwitch Server which supports the 5 digital modes.

DVSwitch Server is available as a Raspbian image or can be installed on a existing Debian based system. DVSwitch Server can be installed on a existing AllStarLink node since that node is Debian based.
HAMVOIP is based on Arch, so the DVSwitch Server install packages can not easily be installed on HAMVOIP. ( we are working on a solution to this)

I hope I did not muddy the waters further.
73, Steve N4IRS

On 11/20/2020 12:48 PM, Aerodan wrote:
I may be off totally on this, but Steve doesn't the new drop of DVSwitch configure regular Allstar nicely, rather than using Hamvoip? I've been meaning to switch over from HV but... if it ain't broke :) AD

@k6lcm

Yep, that was the fix!

Aerodan

Does DVSwitch Server have an option to install AllStarlLink from the new menu system, with the DVSwitch Mobile option working?

Steve N4IRS

No,
It would be the other way around. Start with the AllStar image, then add DVSwitch Server.