Connect Fusion repeater to DMR

Chris WB4ULK

This is just a general question about YSF.
We have a Fusion machine here in town linked to my local DMR TG using an Open Spot.

If we wanted to move it off the Open Spot to a server based solution what in the wide world of sports do we connect the Fusion repeater too?

What does the Fusion machine point to?
How does it get there? (Interface)

I understand the concept of a bridge server taking DMR to C4FM and back.
I am just missing the fundemental block of making the Fusion machine talk to some THING.

Do we need one of the “Yaesu” boxes to get the machine into a network, or is there another more elegant way of getting it there?

Chris
WB4ULK

Paul Nannery KC2VRJ

I could be wrong but I think your best solution  is useing a mmdvm and the home brew fusion protacall

On Thu, Jun 7, 2018, 8:03 PM Chris via Groups.Io <chood73=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
This is just a general question about YSF.
We have a Fusion machine here in town linked to my local DMR TG using an Open Spot.

If we wanted to move it off the Open Spot to a server based solution what in the wide world of sports do we connect the Fusion repeater too?

What does the Fusion machine point to?
How does it get there? (Interface)

I understand the concept of a bridge server taking DMR to C4FM and back.
I am just missing the fundemental block of making the Fusion machine talk to some THING.

Do we need one of the “Yaesu” boxes to get the machine into a network, or is there another more elegant way of getting it there?

Chris
WB4ULK

Chris WB4ULK

How does the Fusion repeater communicate with the “home brew Fusion protocol”?

Paul Nannery KC2VRJ

The fusion repeater itself can not. You would need to use a mmdvm modem hooked to the 15 pin connector and some pc most use a raspberry pi.

On Thu, Jun 7, 2018, 8:11 PM Chris via Groups.Io <chood73=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
How does the Fusion repeater communicate with the “home brew Fusion protocol”?

Chris WB4ULK

I finally figured it out. The DR1X is just ridiculously dumb and can't connect to anything. You have to use their Yaesu box to even connect to the WiresX rooms and then it's only over RF.

I see what you were saying, you basically install an MMDVM modem on the repeater and let it do the C4FM work. Essentially using the DR1X as a pair of radios. At that point why even use a DR1X? It's a garbage "repeater" anyway.

I am going to talk to the club and see if they just want to put a real repeater up there in place of that thing, since we will need to use a MMDVM modem anyway. At least then, it will have a real front-end on it.

That or they can just let it sit there and talk to itself. lol

Chris
WB4ULK

Paul Nannery KC2VRJ

The nice thing with the dr 1x is it is easy to keep analog with the digital modes. But yes it is a dumb repeater