Topics

Controlling DVSwitch from AllStar

I've installed an instance of DVSwitch on my AllStar node, and I've been
able to link it to Brandmeister and select talkgroups from the commend
line.  I'm yet to get it working via AllStar commands.  The USRP
interface is working well.  I have it running on a private node, so I
can isolate the digital gateway from the node, when it's not in use by
disconnecting the private node from my main AllStar node.

In addition to getting the AllStar side working (for future control from
remote stations), I'd also like to be able to link to the other modes -
YSF, P25, etc, again ideally using DTMF comands.

Is there any documentation that I can look up?  I am running ASL and
DVSwitch on a Debian 9 PC.

--
73 de Tony VK3JED/VK3IRL
http://vkradio.com

Steve N4IRS

Tony,
I'm working out a issue with changing TGs now. I hope you have been using dvswitch.sh to control the server. If you have not, you need to be.
dvswitch.sh was built for just this thing in mind. I have to do a updated write up but here is most of it in message form. First, let's make sure you have the private node setup to work best with DVSwitch.
These are the recommended settings you should have. You may have other parameters:

[1XXX]
rxchannel = USRP/127.0.0.1:34001:32001  ; Use the USRP channel driver. Must be enabled in modules.conf
                    ; 127.0.0.1 = IP of the target application
                    ; 34001 = UDP port the target application is listening on
                    ; 32001 = UDP port ASL is listening on

duplex = 0          ; 0 = Half duplex with no telemetry tones or hang time. Ah, but Allison STILL talks!

hangtime = 0        ; squelch tail hang time 0
althangtime = 0     ; longer squelch tail hang time 0

holdofftelem = 1    ; Hold off all telemetry when signal is present on receiver or from connected nodes
                    ; except when an ID needs to be done and there is a signal coming from a connected node.

telemdefault = 0    ; 0 = telemetry output off. Don't send Allison to DMR !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Trust me.

telemdynamic = 0    ; 0 = disallow users to change the local telemetry setting with a COP command,

linktolink = no     ; disables forcing physical half-duplex operation of main repeater while
                    ; still keeping half-duplex semantics (optional)

nounkeyct = 1       ; Set to a 1 to eliminate courtesy tones and associated delays.

totime = 180000     ; transmit time-out time (in ms) (optional, default 3 minutes 180000 ms)

idrecording = |ie   ; id recording or morse string see http://ohnosec.org/drupal/node/87
idtalkover = |ie    ; Talkover ID (optional) default is none see http://ohnosec.org/drupal/node/129

Now, lets add some commands to control the modes from ASL. Add this to your [functions stanza]. I chose 0 as a first character since it's not used in the default ASL.

; mode commands sent via DTMF
00 = cmd, /opt/MMDVM_Bridge/dvswitch.sh ; unused
01 = cmd, /opt/MMDVM_Bridge/dvswitch.sh ; unused
02 = cmd, /opt/MMDVM_Bridge/dvswitch.sh ; unused
03 = cmd, /opt/MMDVM_Bridge/dvswitch.sh tune unlink  ; Unlink from last TG / reflector
04 = cmd, /opt/MMDVM_Bridge/dvswitch.sh mode DMR
05 = cmd, /opt/MMDVM_Bridge/dvswitch.sh mode DSTAR
06 = cmd, /opt/MMDVM_Bridge/dvswitch.sh mode YSF
07 = cmd, /opt/MMDVM_Bridge/dvswitch.sh mode P25
08 = cmd, /opt/MMDVM_Bridge/dvswitch.sh mode NXDN

To dial a TG number or reflector number, we need to pass a arbitrary number of string to dvswitch.sh

; This nice simple one line function (and dialplan) was written by Mike KB8JNM. It will allow you to pass arbitrary string of digits to a external script for processing.
; We are going to use this to pass a TG or reflector number (DMR, NXDN, P25 YSF) to Analog_Bridge so that you can change the TG you are connected to from the DTMF pad on your analog
; radio. Example: If you dial *093100 (read this as *09 3100) you can tell dvswitch.sh to tune to TG 3100 on the current digital mode.

09=autopatchup,context=tgtune,dialtime=90000,farenddisconnect=1,noct,quiet=1

Add this to extensions.conf This is a work in progress and I will post a update when I'm ready.

[tgtune]
exten = _X.,1,noop ; Wait,1
exten = _X.,n,System(/opt/MMDVM_Bridge/dvswitch.sh mute TLV)
exten = _X.,n,System(/opt/MMDVM_Bridge/dvswitch.sh tune ${EXTEN})
exten = _X.,n,System(/opt/MMDVM_Bridge/dvswitch.sh mute OFF)
exten = _X.,n,Hangup

On 10/11/20 12:10 am, Steve N4IRS wrote:
Tony,
I'm working out a issue with changing TGs now. I hope you have been
using dvswitch.sh to control the server. If you have not, you need to be.
dvswitch.sh was built for just this thing in mind. I have to do a
updated write up but here is most of it in message form. First, let's
make sure you have the private node setup to work best with DVSwitch.
These are the recommended settings you should have. You may have other
parameters:

Thanks Steve.  I think I'm pretty close, as I took my AllStar settings
from my working multimode gateway, which I know I turned off all the
telemetry stuff on.  Will take a look at the rest and set it up.

And the other question is how can I add other modes (YSF, etc) to this?

--
73 de Tony VK3JED/VK3IRL
http://vkradio.com

Steve N4IRS

It was in the first message, but here it is again:

On 11/9/20 4:15 PM, Tony Langdon wrote:
On 10/11/20 12:10 am, Steve N4IRS wrote:
Tony,
I'm working out a issue with changing TGs now. I hope you have been
using dvswitch.sh to control the server. If you have not, you need to be.
dvswitch.sh was built for just this thing in mind. I have to do a
updated write up but here is most of it in message form. First, let's
make sure you have the private node setup to work best with DVSwitch.
These are the recommended settings you should have. You may have other
parameters:
Thanks Steve.  I think I'm pretty close, as I took my AllStar settings
from my working multimode gateway, which I know I turned off all the
telemetry stuff on.  Will take a look at the rest and set it up.

And the other question is how can I add other modes (YSF, etc) to this?

Neil k8it

Hi, I have two questions. Where can I download switch.sh? Is it included in the package allready released? Question 2. With a RPI3 plus, do I need two PI boards to run Allstar 1.0, DVSWITCH, Python 2.7 at the same time? The purpose of Python is to interface with remote USe GPIO. IT allows me to have a low voltage data bus between a A LLSTAR node and an Amazon Alexa Echo Dot. I use the Dot Routine functions to control the bus, allowing voice commands for Allstar. Now I want to expand it for the digital modes. As I am totatlly blind, the voice control is a huge help. It will also work for mobile users.

[...]

https://www.avg.com

Steve N4IRS

dvswitch,sh is installed with MMDVM_Bridge. it's in /opt/MMDVM_Bridge.
No, you can install DVSwitch Server on ASL 1.01. You do not need a second RPi
Yes, you can have python 3.7 and 3.x on the same machine.
As to controlling DVSwitch with voice, if you can run a bash script and pass a parameter, you should be able to control DVSwitch Server.

On 10/11/20 8:25 am, Steve N4IRS wrote:
It was in the first message, but here it is again:

Ahh OK sorry, must have been half asleep when I read your first reply.
Thanks again.  I'm about to have some fun with my scripting. :)

--
73 de Tony VK3JED/VK3IRL
http://vkradio.com

On 10/11/20 12:10 am, Steve N4IRS wrote:
Tony,
I'm working out a issue with changing TGs now. I hope you have been
using dvswitch.sh to control the server. If you have not, you need to be.
dvswitch.sh was built for just this thing in mind. I have to do a
updated write up but here is most of it in message form. First, let's
make sure you have the private node setup to work best with DVSwitch.
These are the recommended settings you should have. You may have other
parameters:
Thanks Steve, that worked perfectly.  Tested connections to DMR, YSF and
P25, all working well. :)  Only thing I've noticed is that the
disconnect command (dvswitch.sh tune unlink) really doesn't seem to do
much, but all the others are working.  In a sense, it's no biggie,
because I can always take down the private node link when issuing the
unlink command and bring it up when selecting a DV mode.

--
73 de Tony VK3JED/VK3IRL
http://vkradio.com

Steve N4IRS

Tony,
That was my mistake, use disconnect rather then unlink. Let me know.

Steve

On 10/11/20 11:58 am, Steve N4IRS wrote:
Tony,
That was my mistake, use disconnect rather then unlink. Let me know.
Just issued that command manually, seemed to work.  However, looks like
there needs to be some more "idiot proofing" required.  As things stand,
it's too easy to remain linked up to something when switching modes, so
I might implement a "disconnect before mode switch" command using one of
the unused command codes (simply switching modes may still be useful in
some corner cases).

--
73 de Tony VK3JED/VK3IRL
http://vkradio.com

inmarex@...

Tony , I have a short question: How can I install a Allstar on the same RasPi (4) where DVSwitch Server is ? What flavor of AllStar do I need ?

Steve N4IRS

Other way around. Setup ASL 1.01 first, then add DVSwitch Server.

On 11/10/2020 10:16 AM, inmarex@... wrote:
Tony , I have a short question: How can I install a Allstar on the same RasPi (4) where DVSwitch Server is ? What flavor of AllStar do I need ?

Steve is correct.  Install ASL first, then DVSwitch.  It is possible to
backup your existing DVSwitch configuration and copy the .ini files back
in after reinstallation.

When I upgraded my multiprotocol gateway (a separate DVSwitch
installation) to the current version, I installed from scratch, then
used my old configuration on the new server for both AllStar and DVSwitch.

--
73 de Tony VK3JED/VK3IRL
http://vkradio.com

Neil k8it

Just reading all of this great thread before I install it. What DTMF command would I use to switch from BM 3100 to TGIF 50631? This is another DMR network and requires the protocol, network name, password etc. to be changed. VVBut you know this Steve.

On 11/11/20 9:53 am, Neil k8it wrote:

Just reading all of this great thread before I install it.  What DTMF
command would I use to switch from BM 3100 to TGIF 50631?  This is
another DMR network and requires the protocol, network name, password
etc. to be changed. VVBut you know this Steve.
Good question.  I'm only running BM, but there will be a sequence of
commands, because you will most likely want to unlink ("disconnect")
from the old TG, before linking to the new one.

[...]

Switching DMR networks, is just a tune command.
/opt/MMDVM_Bridge/dvswitch.sh "tune passw0rd@tgif.network:62031"
assign a DTMF sequence to that just like disconnect...

On 11/10/20 5:58 PM, Tony Langdon wrote:
[...]

Here is a update to the tgtune context in extensions.conf. I wanted to make sure Allison did not leak out into digital and it seems to work. I still suggest you test it on your system before connecting to a busy TG / reflector and get yelled at.

[tgtune]
exten = _X.,1,noop ; Wait,1
exten = _X.,n,System(/opt/MMDVM_Bridge/dvswitch.sh mute TLV)
exten = _X.,n,Playback(connecting)
exten = _X.,n,SayDigits(${EXTEN})
exten = _X.,n,System(/opt/MMDVM_Bridge/dvswitch.sh tune ${EXTEN})
exten = _X.,n,System(/opt/MMDVM_Bridge/dvswitch.sh mute OFF)
exten = _X.,n,Hangup

Allison will announce the TG you are connecting to. I'll say it again, test before you put into production.