Topics

DMR to AllStar Bridge - Private Call to DMR ID without a TG?

WillieB <will@...>

Hello group,

I have searched and haven’t found anything so hopefully you guys can point me in the right direction. First of all many many thanks to Steve and anyone else involved for these programs and applications!

I am using dvswitch with analog_bridge, mmdvm_bridge, and md380-emu to create a DMR to AllStar bridge. I have it working (Many thanks to KV4S (Russell)) fine bridging to a DMR talkgroup. My question is, can I bridge an AllStar node directly to a DMR user ID without a talkgroup? I guess this would be a private call? What I’m trying to accomplish here is to allow me to use my ZUMspot to connect to AllStar nodes through the bridge, but without tying up an entire talkgroup. Thanks in advance.

73

Will, KE4IAJ

TARG AEC

Steve N4IRS

Will,
A couple of comments here. Tying up a TG is a relative thing.  Almost like if a tree falls in a forest and there is no one there to hear it, does it make a sound. My point is that you can use DMRID as a TG. I do it all the time for testing. Another way to solve the issue is to setup hblink as a server or master. Point your MMDVM_bridge at it and point you HS at it. You now have a private connection between MMDVM_Bridge and your ZUMspot.

We are working on the documentation now and a example of that type of config is planned. HBlink is pretty easy to setup.

Steve

On 5/25/2018 8:47 AM, WillieB wrote:

[...]

Thanks Steve,

I’ve always argued the point to my teachers is that it depends on what definition of “sound” that you use lol. I have requested an additional DMR ID waiting for approval. Once it is approved I’ll test using it. My guess is that I just put the DMR ID in the txTg field in place of the TG in the Analog_Bridge.ini file.

If that doesn’t work I’ll wait on the example documentation for the HBlink.

[...]

You should be able to put your current DMRID in, you wont need a second ID.

On 5/25/2018 9:25 AM, WillieB wrote:

[...]

George Zafiropoulos

Hi Will
I’m interested in doing an all star to DMR bridge and it looks like you’ve already accomplished that.  can you tell me if there are any documents that would help me figure out how to do that ?
Thanks very much for your time I really do appreciate it.
George.

On May 25, 2018, at 5:47 AM, WillieB <will@...> wrote:

[...]

Hi George,

No problem. This is the guide I followed. 73

https://kv4s.com/2018/05/23/hosting-an-allstar-node-and-an-allstardmr-bridge-in-the-cloud/

73

Will, KE4IAJ

TARG AEC

[...]

It’s working fine with a TG, but doesn’t seem to be working by me changing the txTg field to my 3113756 DMR ID and rebooting the bridge. I’m sure I’m just doing something wrong. As a test on my HT I did a manual private call to 3113756 and I don’t hear anything on the AllStar node. And when I key the AllStar node nothing happens on my HT. When I look in Brandmeister self-care, it’s showing an Auto Static group of 3113756 which I believe is correct. I’ve attached logs to the email which may help. I’m open for suggestions.

73

Will, KE4IAJ

TARG AEC

[...]

Hmmm,
A private call? Interesting idea. Then maybe put the TG back to 9? I'll have to think/play with this idea...

On 5/25/2018 11:42 AM, WillieB wrote:

[...]

It doesn’t matter to me if it’s a group or private call. I’ll play around with different settings and see what works.

[...]

Well I tested a private call, my DMR ID to a friend’s DMR ID, both of us with an HT behind a hotspot and it worked perfect. I could call him and he could call me. Then I tested some more with my bridge using 3113756 for both the gatewayDmrId and for txTg. It didn’t work in either direction. I could PTT on my HT and not hear anything on AllStar, and I could transmit on AllStar and not hear anything on my HT.

In the meantime I received my other new DMR ID so I tested with it as well. See settings below for Analog_Bridge.ini, but unfortunately nothing is working, same results. 3110229 is my new ID and 311356 is my older one. I’m I setting this up correctly? If I set the contact to TG9 like Steve suggested then how do I specify to call my other DMR ID? I’m quite confused still on how to set this up as a bridge from my ASL node to my HT. Are there any kind of pseudo talkgroups or something similar? Any other ideas?

gatewayDmrId = 3110229                  ; ID to use when transmitting from Analog_Bridge

repeaterID = 311022901                  ; ID of source repeater

txTg = 3113756                          ; TG to use for all frames received from Analog_Bridge -> xx_Bridge

[...]

gatewayDmrId is the ID that ALL analog stations will present to BrandMeister it should be a user ID (7 digits)
repeaterID is the repeater that BM thinks the analog traffic is coming from.
txTg is the Talk Group that a analog user will transmit on.

Steve

On 5/25/2018 3:16 PM, WillieB wrote:

[...]

Right, I understand those definitions. I set it up like this:

gatewayDmrId = 3110229 <= DMR ID for KE4IAJ (ID that shows on all DMR radios when the direct is AllStar => DMR.)

repeaterID = 311022901 <= DMR ID above + 01

txTg = 3113756 <= DMR ID for KE4IAJ

In a reply from in this same thread you stated “My point is that you can use DMRID as a TG. I do it all the time for testing.”. Wouldn’t this mean that I can use a DMR ID for the txTg? If not then how can I use a DMR ID as a TG?

[...]

gatewayDmrId = 3110229
repeaterID= 3113756
txTg = 3113756

On 5/25/2018 3:30 PM, WillieB wrote:

[...]

Jeff Carrier

DMR Repeater ID's are typically 6 digits long and they identify the repeater and can therefore be used as a talkgroup

A DMR user ID is 7 digits and must be unique as it "generally" translates to an IP address in the DMR system.

If you have not already requested a DMR repeater ID I'm thinking you'd need to do that.

my 2 cents

On Fri, May 25, 2018 at 1:30 PM, WillieB <will@...> wrote:

[...]

Steve => I tried that and I also tried the gatewayDmrId as the repeaterID just for grins. Neither worked. I don’t seem to be getting anywhere, but I greatly appreciate the time you guys have been taking to reply. Maybe I need to read some more about TGs. See further explanation below if there’s any confusion on what exactly I’m trying to accomplish.

Jeff => Hmm, I’m not sure why I would need a repeater ID just for a DVswitch bridge? If I use a TG in txTg then it works fine. It just won’t allow me to specify a DMR ID in the txTg field.

I’ll explain a bit further. The whole reason I’m trying to do this is to allow my HT to make a private or group call to the DMR ID used on the DVswitch bridge and be connected to my AllStar node. Then I can connect my bridged AllStar node to any other AllStar or Echolink node while using my ZUMspot as a DMR hotspot. So this allows me to have DMR, Echolink, and AllStar functionality using 1 hotspot. This works great when I use a TG, the only problem is I’m transmitting on the TG and the communication is only between my HT and the connected AllStar node.

Let me give an example. On Tuesday nights at 8:00pm there’s an AllStar Technical net (DMR is discussed frequently) I want to connect to on AllStar node 45221. So what I would do is use my AllStar bridge node 46690 and connect it to 45221. So at that point when the net is taking place on 45221 I will be able to hear it and transmit to it on my HT via DMR ID 3113756. This works great when I bridge my AllStar node 46690 to our local talkgroup, but the only problem is I don’t want it to occupy the talk group. This is why I’m trying to setup a bridge to my DMR ID 3113756 that’s on my HT instead of using a TG. Maybe that clears things up if there is any confusion on what I’m trying to accomplish.

If it’s not possible with DVswitch then maybe there are some kind of unused or private TGs I can use if I can’t get DMR IDs to work? Or maybe create my own TG? Guess I need to read more on how TGs work.

[...]

If you're not connecting to brandmeister then it really doesn't matter I guess.  I assumed you were intending to connect there.  I didn't mean to throw a wrench in the conversation.

On Fri, May 25, 2018 at 2:48 PM, WillieB <will@...> wrote:

[...]

Well I’m using a ZUMspot connecting through Brandmeister I think, so yes…

[...]

What hardware are you running the bridge on?

On 05/25/2018 04:56 PM, WillieB wrote:

[...]

Dell PowerEdge C1100
Virtual Machine on ESXi 5.1
Fresh install of Debian 9.4 (no GUI)
4 cores
4GB RAM
500GB HDD

On Fri, May 25, 2018 at 7:09 PM, Steve N4IRS <szingman@...> wrote:
[...]

I tested the config below, but only from ASL to DMR. I do not have 3112138 programmed in my radio. I used the BM last heard and hoseline to verify audio.
Can you show me your config in the same format?

MMDVM_Bridge.ini
[General]
Callsign=N4IRS
Id=311213890