Dockerize DV-Switch-Server + ASL

GB7NR Support

Hi DV-Switch fans and devs!

I have a possible request. A Dockerfile for DV-Switch server. All elements plus Allstar in one dockerfile. If ya feeling adventurous maybe a docker-compose.yml to go with it! The challenge is ASL! If you can crack this one then it has potential to run multiple instances on one host machine. A good feature! Who’s up for the challenge? Docker image must be able to run on AMD64 (a cloud server) or ARM, or maybe both :)! Let’s make it multi-arch! Now that’s a challenge :)

Shane
M0VUB

Steve N4IRS

I agree, somebody should do that.

On 5/8/22 15:03, GB7NR Support wrote:
Hi DV-Switch fans and devs!

I have a possible request. A Dockerfile for DV-Switch server. All elements plus Allstar in one dockerfile. If ya feeling adventurous maybe a docker-compose.yml to go with it! The challenge is ASL! If you can crack this one then it has potential to run multiple instances on one host machine. A good feature! Who’s up for the challenge? Docker image must be able to run on AMD64 (a cloud server) or ARM, or maybe both :)! Let’s make it multi-arch! Now that’s a challenge :)

Shane
M0VUB

Patrick Perdue

Good luck with the ASL/DAHDI part. I gave up after a while.

On 5/8/2022 3:03 PM, GB7NR Support wrote:
Hi DV-Switch fans and devs!

I have a possible request. A Dockerfile for DV-Switch server. All elements plus Allstar in one dockerfile. If ya feeling adventurous maybe a docker-compose.yml to go with it! The challenge is ASL! If you can crack this one then it has potential to run multiple instances on one host machine. A good feature! Who’s up for the challenge? Docker image must be able to run on AMD64 (a cloud server) or ARM, or maybe both :)! Let’s make it multi-arch! Now that’s a challenge :)

Shane
M0VUB

Jeff Lehman, N8ACL

As did I. I could never get it compile properly.

On May 8, 2022, at 15:06, Patrick Perdue <borrisinabox@...> wrote:

Good luck with the ASL/DAHDI part. I gave up after a while.

On 5/8/2022 3:03 PM, GB7NR Support wrote:
Hi DV-Switch fans and devs!

I have a possible request. A Dockerfile for DV-Switch server. All elements plus Allstar in one dockerfile. If ya feeling adventurous maybe a docker-compose.yml to go with it! The challenge is ASL! If you can crack this one then it has potential to run multiple instances on one host machine. A good feature! Who’s up for the challenge? Docker image must be able to run on AMD64 (a cloud server) or ARM, or maybe both :)! Let’s make it multi-arch! Now that’s a challenge :)

Shane
M0VUB

Steve N4IRS

Could not get asterisk to compile? Could not get DAHDI to compile? Both?

On 5/8/22 15:34, Jeff Lehman, N8ACL via groups.io wrote:
As did I. I could never get it compile properly.
On May 8, 2022, at 15:06, Patrick Perdue <borrisinabox@...> wrote:

Good luck with the ASL/DAHDI part. I gave up after a while.

On 5/8/2022 3:03 PM, GB7NR Support wrote:
Hi DV-Switch fans and devs!

I have a possible request. A Dockerfile for DV-Switch server. All elements plus Allstar in one dockerfile. If ya feeling adventurous maybe a docker-compose.yml to go with it! The challenge is ASL! If you can crack this one then it has potential to run multiple instances on one host machine. A good feature! Who’s up for the challenge? Docker image must be able to run on AMD64 (a cloud server) or ARM, or maybe both :)! Let’s make it multi-arch! Now that’s a challenge :)

Shane
M0VUB

Jeff Lehman, N8ACL

Both. Dahdi gave me the most problems and it’s been a while since I looked at it and I think it was I could get all the dependencies run down.

On May 8, 2022, at 15:36, Steve N4IRS <szingman@...> wrote:

[...]

Ok.. After some head banging.. and staying up til stupid o’clock I managed to get ASL to work in docker. Infact with some magic I managed to get the two components working that have been causing us all problems. Using the right kernels and OS is key to this. ASL have already attempted to do this but the Dockerfile just does’t work. Why do we need to compile from source when it’s already compiled ! Isn’t that what repo’s are for? Or maybe I’m missing somthing ? I’m no docker guru but love testing this out! :)

anyway I’m going to do some testing later, I’ve created a container with ASL on it fully compiled. I can ssh into it from root so I can see what’s going on. If you can compile from source on debian Buster on the host, why is a container so different? One has to simplify this. If I can get this to work the the DV-Switch element (MMDVM_Bridge etc etc will be a peice of cake to add in docker. Will keep you posted

Shane
M0VUB

Jeff Lehman, N8ACL

I would love to see your docker file and how you are doing it. I know I struggled with it for a while. I would love to be able to run Allstar in a dockerized environment. Suggestion: get dvswitch/ analog reflector running in its own container so that people can have the option of running those separate. So you can run dvs server, ar and asl in multiple containers

On May 9, 2022, at 10:52, GB7NR Support <support@...> wrote:

[...]

Depending on what you want the containerized AllStar to do, we may be able to do it with a IAX bridge.

Steve N4IRS

On 5/9/22 15:22, Jeff Lehman, N8ACL via groups.io wrote:
[...]

I would love for it to fully run ASL. Here's why it was something I was looking into at one point.

1) it would make for some easy deployement in datacenters that run Docker

2) being able to deploy mulitple installs quickly and easily

2a) Disaster recovery would be so much easier. Since Docker containers are ephemeral by nature, just by backing p the data, you can have an ASL system back up and running in minutes. That is why as much of my personal infrastructure and microservices in my homelab run docker. I can completly wipe a drive and have everything back in 15 minutes versus the hours it would take to install and configure and import all the data. Load the OS, install Docker, copy data, bring the docker containers up and bam... everything is back.

3) ( and this is just purly selfish on my part) I don't run any radio enabled nodes. So I have a box dedicated to ASL that if I could run it on docker, I would be able to use this box for something else. Yes I know i could run it on a pi, but again... I would have a pi dedicated to running ASL that I could use for other projects.

4) and why not :) we have the technology.... ;)

On 5/9/22 15:26, Steve N4IRS wrote:
[...]

Jeff,
You are telling me why you want to put AllStar in a docker. What you have not told me, is what does the AllStar need to be able to do? Call other nodes? be a hub? etc. How do you USE AllStar?

Steve

On 5/9/22 21:00, Jeff Lehman, N8ACL via groups.io wrote:

[...]

It would be nice, but I suspect (and the evidence still appears to show this) that running ASL in a Docker container is a pipe dream.  The closest one can get it seems is installing ASL on the host and running everything else in Docker containers.  Still relatively straightforward to maintain, backup and recover, because ASL keeps its configs in one place, and you can install it from an apt repository.

And having all other components in containers is a no brainer, they lend themselves to it.  I've had no issues running DVSwitch components under Docker.  Docker also tidies up the networking a bit.  Don't have to expose all ports to the host, only those that need to talk to the outside world.

--
73 de Tony VK3JED/VK3IRL
http://vkradio.com

Jeff Lehman, N8ACL

AH ok... sorry. I misunderstood.

It would need to function as a full Allstar system. Make calls, receive calls, accept connections from a multitude of different platforms (HUC/Analog reflector/An IAX or SIp client/a PBX etc).

So how I use Allstar. I run a radioless system that has multiple nodes on it. I can connect to it via a PBX (to allow multiple IP based phones for example) or via Analog Reflector for example. I then use it to call other nodes to listen to nets, etc. I also have a couple of club nodes on it to act as a "hub" system. SO I use it as a radio system without a radio.

Does that make any sense? LOL....

On 5/9/22 21:25, Steve N4IRS wrote:
[...]

That covered it, thanks.

On 5/9/22 21:30, Jeff Lehman, N8ACL via groups.io wrote:

[...]

OK good. Sometimes I ramble and think it makes sense when in reality, it makes ZERO sense.

On 5/9/22 21:31, Steve N4IRS wrote:
[...]

So,
installing AllStar on a AMD64 host can be as simple as apt install allstar. The AllStar that is installed is a binary. For DAHDI that is another matter due to dkms. Does dkms have a problem in a container?

On 5/9/22 21:27, Tony Langdon wrote:
[...]

As long as it would be part of the base os image for the container, or if It could be added, I don't think so, but that is why I was hoping to see Shan'e sdocker file to see how he was doing that.... that was probably pert of my downfall.