DR2 X connection options

Jeff Dixon

Gents
I have always said if you want to know ask an expert!
I am the keeper of a DR2 X based Wires x connected repeater, It has great coverage up and down a major road so we would rather not use it but some of our members live in RF holes where nothing gets in or out except internet and mobile phones.

I am looking for a reasonably priced way (not an HRi 200 and a £400 radio) that they can link to the repeater. Can we either build a private wires x /Openspot/Zumspot (internet wires X) reflectoer that is connected directly to the repeater or connect it to echolink in some way that still permits Yaesu Wires X/C4FM and FM operation?

Thank you

Robin Williams

Hi Jeff.
What we have done here, is, we have a raspberry pi running pi-star sitting next to the repeater and connected to the internet . This is on the repeater frequencys. This pistar is connected to a reflector at my place. This reflector is accessed from anywhere. The repeater also has a hri200 connected directly to it and internet, so we have the best of both worlds.
Cheers
Robin

On Tue, 11 May 2021, 03:03 Jeff Dixon, <g6yiq.m5aio@...> wrote:
Gents
I have always said if you want to know ask an expert!
I am the keeper of a DR2 X based Wires x connected repeater, It has great coverage up and down a major road so we would rather not use it but some of our members live in RF holes where nothing gets in or out except internet and mobile phones.

I am looking for a reasonably priced way (not an HRi 200 and a £400 radio) that they can link to the repeater. Can we either build a private wires x /Openspot/Zumspot (internet wires X) reflectoer that is connected directly to the repeater or connect it to echolink in some way that still permits Yaesu Wires X/C4FM and FM operation?

Thank you

Jeff Dixon

Robin,
Sorry another question, how did you seperate the TX and RX frequencies?
Did you program it in repeater mode and then switch it back to simplex or am I making it far too complex. I cannot make it tx on one frequency and rx on the other in simplex.

Regards,
Jeff

Robin Williams

Hi
Just set the hotspot to duplex mode.
Program frquencies and away you go .
Tx frequency is receive fx of repeater and vice versa for Rx frequency
Robin .

On Wed, 12 May 2021, 05:26 Jeff Dixon, <g6yiq.m5aio@...> wrote:
Robin,
Sorry another question, how did you seperate the TX and RX frequencies?
Did you program it in repeater mode and then switch it back to simplex or am I making it far too complex. I cannot make it tx on one frequency and rx on the other in simplex.

Regards,
Jeff

N9UMJ

Hi Robin

The raspberry pi you mentioned being on the repeater frequency? how are you feeding the audio into pistar on the raspberry pi? and what is the HRi200 connected into? The repeater or the pistar?
I have a DR1X that I'd like to put back online again and  considered bridging  ysf to wires X, Is that what you have done here?

Thanks

On Mon, May 10, 2021 at 5:03 PM Robin Williams <phonetechash@...> wrote:
[...]

The hri200 is connected directly to the Dr-2x repeater.
The pi has a mmdvm hat on it and talks to the repeater on rf .
Hope that helps.
Robin.

On Fri, 14 May 2021, 14:39 N9UMJ, <n9umj2@...> wrote:
[...]

Doug

You will have to change in MMDVM Settings Fusion connector Remotegateway=0 to Remotegateway=1   also.

Benjamin ON5BGO

HI Doug

what’s the function of that RemoteGateway option ?

And is a duplex hat mandatory because rx and tx never comes together

73, Ben

Doug

Hi Ben,
We have here in christchurch a DR2X (VHF) on a mountain (No Internet) in north canterbury which is 48km away from my qth.

I have at my QTH a FTM-100 connected to a HRI-200 which RX + TX on the repeater frequency (low power TX-5w).

I also have here at my QTH a high power simplex  hotspot (Tait TM8110 connected to a MMDVM) this is also RX + TX (low power TX-5w) on the Repeater frequency and the MMDVM is conected to the YSF59115 NZ-Canterbury-NZ Reflector.

All of this works Perfectly well but I found I have to have Remotegateway=1 set in the Fusion connector setting in mmdvmhost.for the audio to work in both directions properly.

I prefer using a seperate radio as a hotspot radio because I can set the TX and RX frequency seperately to what I want and the unit can be many Km's away, where as on a hat hotspot in simplex  mode it only has setting for 1 frequency so a Duplex hat as Robin is using will let you set the TX and Rx frequency and it has to be next to the DR2X Repeater and internet needs to be available also.

I hope this has been of some Help to you.

73, Doug

Benjamin ON5BGO

HI Doug
yes thanks for infos.

ok for the duplex hat, yes of course frequencies are different. But it rise me another question : says there is a net call from ysf then your hotspot transmit on the tx qrg to the repeater, the repeater then transmit on his tx qrg which is the rx qrg of your hotspot. Is this condition does not make a loop ?
Or is the RemoteGateway option doing this unloop condition ?
In fact the hotspot rx qrg would be disabled when transmitting : how do you manage that ?
Okay i think i see, that is managed by your TAIT but what is the mmdvm board model connected to the TAIT ?

We are currently installing a DR-1X repeater with it’s hri-200 at a local airport here. And I would setup a Rpi on site for the ysf reflector but still not know how to do it to not create loops. Hope you understand me.

Thanks for info Doug
73, Ben

Doug

Edited

Hi Ben,

(Robin Uses a pistar Hat Hotspot (single antenna) set in duplex mode so he can set TX and RX (Reversed) Frequencies in his situation..)

In our working situation running perfectly since September 2020

If the Tait hotspot is TX up to the repeater the FTM-100 is RX from the Repeater.

If the FTM-100 is TX up to the Repeater the Tait hotspot is RX from the Repeater.

There is NO loop as TX + RX are Different..

Working example:

Repeater      TX = 146.750 Mhz    RX = 146.150 Mhz

FTM-100      TX = 146.150 Mhz    RX = 146.750 Mhz

Tait Hotspot  TX = 146.150 Mhz    RX = 146.750 Mhz

Therefore if a Mobile station TX to the Repeater The FTM-100 and the Tait hotspot both RX and pass to (WiresX room for FTM-100) + (NZ-Canterbury-NZ Reflector for Tait Hotspot)

If someone connected to th NZ-Canterbury-NZ Reflector TX the Tait Hotspot will TX to the Repeater The FTM-100 will RX from the Repeater and pass to WiresX and the Mobile Station will RX from the Repeater.

If someone Connected to FTM-100 WiresX room TX the FTM-100 Will TX to the Repeater the Tait hotspot will RX from Repeater and Pass to NZ-Canterbury-NZ Reflector and the Mobile station will RX from the Repeater.

My Tait Hotspot is using a F5UII MMDVM (kitset) on an Arduino Due board connected to a Raspberry Pi 3B
Running on the Raspberry Pi 3B is MMDVMHost + YSFGateway and also the NZ-Canterbury-NZ Reflector. (not Pi-Star).

I hope this brings the workings clearer to you Ben.

73 Doug

Benjamin ON5BGO

Yes okay !! Fine fine business you’ve done !
Great ! I understood. The no-loop condition is assured by the simplex hotspot as it can’t receive when transmitting.

 it’s like the repeater have 2 Network inputs and of course one for mobile stations.

ok many thanks again.

So if i put a simplex hat hotspot setup in dual frequencies mode locally at the repeater qth that will be your TAIT equivalent as we have internet access on site.

And why not running a pi-star distribution ? Because it’s an Arduino board connected to your TAIT ?

Ben

Doug

Hi Ben, Yes your Hat Hotspot will be the equivalent of my Tait setup.

I used to use a pi-star image but I prefer my own setup so when I set settings etc they stays as I set them allways,

73 Doug

Chris K7AZ

Hi Doug,
Our Club inherited a Tait repeater and wondering if there is a way forward to convert to DMR  or ASL?

Thanks,
Chris K7AZ

Hi Ben, Yes your Hat Hotspot will be the equivalent of my Tait setup.

I used to use a pi-star image but I prefer my own setup so when I set settings etc they stays as I set them allways,

73 Doug

Steve N4IRS

What model?

On 5/17/2021 9:12 AM, Chris K7AZ via groups.io wrote:
Hi Doug,
Our Club inherited a Tait repeater and wondering if there is a way forward to convert to DMR  or ASL?

Thanks,
Chris K7AZ

Hi Ben, Yes your Hat Hotspot will be the equivalent of my Tait setup.

I used to use a pi-star image but I prefer my own setup so when I set settings etc they stays as I set them allways,

73 Doug

Chris K7AZ

Checking on model number.
These are 3-4 RU and tip scale near #100.   100W UHF.

Hi Ben, Yes your Hat Hotspot will be the equivalent of my Tait setup.

I used to use a pi-star image but I prefer my own setup so when I set settings etc they stays as I set them allways,

73 Doug

Chris K7AZ

Might be TB8100.  Still awaiting confirmation.

Hi Ben, Yes your Hat Hotspot will be the equivalent of my Tait setup.

I used to use a pi-star image but I prefer my own setup so when I set settings etc they stays as I set them allways,

73 Doug

Steve N4IRS

Oh heck it's a piece of junk, I'll give you $50 and you pay shipping.
Seriously, it's a REALLY nice piece of equipment. Yes it can do DMR. Should be able to do anything you want. I'll up my offer to $52.50

Steve ;)

On 5/17/2021 10:29 AM, Chris K7AZ via groups.io wrote:
Might be TB8100.  Still awaiting confirmation.

Hi Ben, Yes your Hat Hotspot will be the equivalent of my Tait setup.

I used to use a pi-star image but I prefer my own setup so when I set settings etc they stays as I set them allways,

73 Doug

Chris K7AZ

Hmmm, I'll think about those offers  ;)

Meanwhile, is there a suggested way forward to implement DMR on a Tait?
Hate to reinvent the wheel.

I've tackled several MTR2000 conversions with both KC slide in card and external MMDVM modems, and once running they are truely amazing systems.

Thanks!

Chris K7AZ

Hi Ben, Yes your Hat Hotspot will be the equivalent of my Tait setup.

I used to use a pi-star image but I prefer my own setup so when I set settings etc they stays as I set them allways,

73 Doug

Heiko DL1BZ

In addition, the DR2X don't work with MMDVM modems, only the DR1X works without modification and MMDVM modems. The background is, as far as I understand, you cannot switch the DR2X to 9k6 mode (DISC in/out) anymore at the remote connector, with the DR1X this was possible. But I think, in principle, it could be possible. Inside the DR2 there are two main units from the FTM400 as I know, which have the option to work in 9k6 mode. Maybe you can use a FTM400 display unit for setup of the two internal TRX for 9k6 mode operation. WIth the original repeater control that don't work with the DR2X (DR1X yes). I assume YAESU that they deliberately removed this option (DISC in/out) from the DR2X.

73 Heiko, DL1BZ