Topics

DStar on Cloud Server

Tom Corcoran

All,

I have used W8RIK's excellent install document to set up an image on a cloud server. Works great on DMR, YSF, NXDN and P25. When I connect an ThumbDV/ambeserver on a RPi at my home, everything seems to work ok on all modes. Audio sounds good on all modes, including DStar. However, over time (20 minutes), the audio becomes choppy. The ambeserver rpi has the latency code installed. Anyone have success with this approach? Advice??

--
Tom VE3NY
--

Patrick Perdue

How is the latency between your AMBEserver and the cloud VPS?

I ran a setup like that for a while, where pings were only about 2/4 MS between my home internet connection and the VPS, and all was fine. However, on another connection where latency was around 20 MS, things started to become choppy after a while. In my case, I was transcoding ASL/DMR, so not quite the same thing. I got better results running Analog_Bridge on the machine hosting the AMBE than connecting AMBE to a remote Analog_Bridge, even though I was just turning the packets around to the VPS again anyway.

On 3/4/2020 11:24 AM, Tom Corcoran wrote:
All,

I have used W8RIK's excellent install document to set up an image on a cloud server. Works great on DMR, YSF, NXDN and P25. When I connect an ThumbDV/ambeserver on a RPi at my home, everything seems to work ok on all modes. Audio sounds good on all modes, including DStar. However, over time (20 minutes), the audio becomes choppy. The ambeserver rpi has the latency code installed. Anyone have success with this approach? Advice??

--
Tom VE3NY
--
Tom VE3NY

Tom Corcoran

Hello Patrick,

I think it's the latency between the cloud server and the ambeserver/rpi that is causing the problem. It is interesting that when everything is fired up audio sounds fine. It's only after 10 - 20 minutes that the audio on all modes (including dstar) degrades. Cloud server and RPI/AMBEServer are both here in Miami.
--
Tom VE3NY