Topics

DStar on DV Switch Mobile

zl3tom@...

Hi

I was wondering does anyone know how I can get DStar on my DV Switch Mobile app

I have DVswitch mobile app setup for DMR currently in the could

Many thanks

Thomas

ZL3TOM

Derek William Haden <facebook@...>

As I understand it (Could be wrong) you have to enable DStar in DVswitch, and you will need a DV dongle, because the emulator is fine for DMR, but not for DStar.

On 23/8/20 3:06 am, Derek William Haden wrote:
As I understand it (Could be wrong) you have to enable DStar in
DVswitch, and you will need a DV dongle, because the emulator is fine
for DMR, but not for DStar.
Yes, D-STAR requires a hardware vocoder, because there are no decent
software vocoders for that audio format.  I tried D-STAR in DroidStar
once, where there was no hardware option, and the audio was very poor,
practically unreadable.  You _can_ enable the software vocoder in
Analog_Bridge, but not recommended.  As one set of instructions put it -
"You won't like the result".

Normally, D-STAR would be setup with an AMBE3000 device, either on the
DVSwitch host or via an AMBEServer.  On my multimode gateway, I had an
original DV Dongle lying around doing nothing, so I used ircDDBGateway
and DummyRepeater to do the transcoding, since DummyRepeater supports
the DV Dongle hardware.

--
73 de Tony VK3JED/VK3IRL
http://vkradio.com

Derek William Haden <facebook@...>

I would recommend using the Ambe server with the DV dongle.

I could not get the DVSwitch to connect to the dongle via USB.

Tom Corcoran

Has anyone been able to get a remote AMBEserver working with DVSwitch running on a cloud server? I have an AMBEserver sitting on a RPi at my home and DVSwitch running on a cloud server. Made appropriate (?) changes to AB.ini but can’t seem to make the combination work. Advice?

--
Tx Tom VE3NY

Patrick Perdue

Not in the context of DVSM, but I ran a remote AMBEserver for Analog_Bridge for a while, ran into some problems and eventually scrapped it for md380emu, since I didn't care about DStar. My DStar bridge is strictly done with XLX and a pair of AMBE dongles, and I don't need outbound connectivity to DStar reflectors in my setup.

At the time, my AMBEserver running on a Pi was a good solid 2 to 3 ms ping from the VPS running DVSwitch. The datacenter was practically in my backyard. While it did work reliably sometimes, it would randomly drop, or have huge gaps between audio packets, so I eventually just gave it up as a bad job. Running Analog_Bridge and AMBEserver locally, or using the dongle directly connected to Analog_Bridge through /dev/ttyUSB0 worked fine, but I always had various problems using AMBEserver remotely with Analog_Bridge, at least when connecting back to Allstar. The network path was about as good as I could hope for, considering it was a remote connection to AMBEserver.

On 8/24/2020 8:33 AM, Tom Corcoran wrote:
Has anyone been able to get a remote AMBEserver working with DVSwitch running on a cloud server? I have an AMBEserver sitting on a RPi at my home and DVSwitch running on a cloud server. Made appropriate (?) changes to AB.ini but can’t seem to make the combination work. Advice?

--
Tx Tom VE3NY

Jeff Lehman, N8ACL

YEah I have heard a lot of people say the same thing with amber server.

I would look at setting up ambeserver and analog_bridge locally on a pi and then point the ip address and ports from your VPS to the local analog_bridge setup. That would be more reliable. I think (and I have not done this personally so someone please correct me) that you can setup something like DDNS or duckDNS locally if you have a dynamic IP on your home setup and use the url to point the IP address to your local setup.

Jeff

Jeff Lehman, N8ACL
E-mail: N8ACL@...
Hamshack Hotline: 4218
Website: https://n8acl.ddns.net

On Aug 24, 2020, at 8:44 AM, Patrick Perdue <patrick@...> wrote:

[...]

Got that working. Hoped to get working with DVSwitch cloud server. Think I will move on to other projects.

tnx for input to all.

--
Tom VE3NY

Alec-N1AJW

Yes that's how I did it.  I put the xlx server in the cloud and run the ambe server locally.  Seems to work correctly most of the tme.  I dont get much traffic

Alec
N1AJW