DTMF

Jeff Lehman, N8ACL

Hi Steve Et al,

      Will the bridges pass DTMF? Let’s say I setup an ASL<--> DMR Bridge and I want to control the ASL node. Will the bridge pass the DTMF to do that?

       Just thinking my way through a possible project, but I was wondering if this worked. It’s not a deal breaker, just would mean I need to think of something else 😊

  Jeff

Jeff Lehman, KC8QCH

Email: kc8qch@...

Webmaster

Hamilton County ARPSC

http://www.hamcoarpsc.org

Email: hamcoarpsc@...

Allstar Node 47374 Administrator

The Guild/IRN

http://theguildglobal.org

WillieB <will@...>

Doesn’t work for me, but I’ll say that since it’s recommended to turn off all telemetry anyway, it’s not the best solution even if it did work.

I installed allmon2, and I also setup Zoiper with an iax connection. I most always use allmon2 since I can visually see when it connects and when it doesn’t.

-Will

      Will the bridges pass DTMF? Let’s say I setup an ASL<--> DMR Bridge and I want to control the ASL node. Will the bridge pass the DTMF to do that?

       Just thinking my way through a possible project, but I was wondering if this worked. It’s not a deal breaker, just would mean I need to think of something else 😊

  Jeff

Jeff Lehman, KC8QCH

Email: kc8qch@...

Webmaster

Hamilton County ARPSC

http://www.hamcoarpsc.org

Email: hamcoarpsc@...

Allstar Node 47374 Administrator

The Guild/IRN

http://theguildglobal.org

Steve N4IRS

Jeff,
Good question. I see at least one "if" The bridge passes all audio from DMR to ASL. So, if the DMR radio will actually send DTMF in transmit, ASL should hear it. The other thing to consider is that the ASL node running chan_usrp would need a function stanza to execute your commands.

Steve

On 6/8/2018 10:18 AM, Jeff Lehman, KC8QCH wrote:

Hi Steve Et al,

      Will the bridges pass DTMF? Let’s say I setup an ASL<--> DMR Bridge and I want to control the ASL node. Will the bridge pass the DTMF to do that?

       Just thinking my way through a possible project, but I was wondering if this worked. It’s not a deal breaker, just would mean I need to think of something else 😊

  Jeff

Jeff Lehman, KC8QCH

Email: kc8qch@...

Webmaster

Hamilton County ARPSC

http://www.hamcoarpsc.org

Email: hamcoarpsc@...

Allstar Node 47374 Administrator

The Guild/IRN

http://theguildglobal.org

Steve N4IRS

Well, there is one report. Turning off telemetry is recommenced but not mandatory. If the TG the bridge is on does not care or wants to here the messages, go ahead and turn telemetry on. I guess I need to be more clear in the how-to.

Thanks, Steve

On 6/8/2018 10:21 AM, WillieB wrote:

[...]

If you bridge to a DMR ID instead of a TG, then it shouldn’t matter at all whether you leave telemetry on or off. The only issue with it I’ve ran into, is if you are on a node with a lot of connecting/disconnecting then while it’s announcing you can’t transmit. You have to wait until it’s finished. It gets irritating fast lol…

Now what I would be interested in, is if we can get it to pass DTMF and leave telemetry on but only for our node. In other words I don’t want to hear when other nodes have disconnecting/connecting nodes.

      Will the bridges pass DTMF? Let’s say I setup an ASL<--> DMR Bridge and I want to control the ASL node. Will the bridge pass the DTMF to do that?

       Just thinking my way through a possible project, but I was wondering if this worked. It’s not a deal breaker, just would mean I need to think of something else 😊

  Jeff

Jeff Lehman, KC8QCH

Email: kc8qch@...

Webmaster

Hamilton County ARPSC

http://www.hamcoarpsc.org

Email: hamcoarpsc@...

Allstar Node 47374 Administrator

The Guild/IRN

http://theguildglobal.org

Jeff Lehman, N8ACL

DING DING DING….we have a winner. That is exactly where I was thinking my way towards….Setting up a bridge to a specific DMR ID and then using it as a way to control my node from.

Thanks Will and Steve. This all makes sense to me. I will play and see what results I have 😊

Jeff

[...]

If you set the telemdefault = 2 you will not hear the connect and disconnect after a short time until it is triggered by a command.

telemdefault = 1                        ; 0 = telemetry output off
                                        ; 1 = telemetry output on (default = 1)
                                        ; 2 = timed telemetry output on command execution and for a short time thereafter.

On 6/8/2018 10:33 AM, WillieB wrote:

[...]

One of the things that may cause a problem is how DTMF decode works. The question is, will a USRP connected node decode DTMF like a SimpleUSB or DSP channel driver.

On 6/8/2018 10:37 AM, Jeff Lehman, KC8QCH wrote:

[...]

Steve,

   That is pretty much where I was getting stuck too and couldn’t wrap my head around. 😊 Hence my original question. But I can try. If it doesn’t work, eh no biggie. I was thinking it would be  aneat way to do it….but that’s the point of this, experimentation 😊

      Thanks again. Believe it or not, your answers really did help 😊 The worse that happens is it doesn’t work and I am no farther then I am now.

      When I get a few (got a busy weekend with my sons 3 year birthday party) I will load up a bridge and try it.

Thanks all again 😊

[...]

Corey Dean N3FE <n3fe@...>

Isn’t there something already like this?  I used to do this all the time where if telemetry was done locally it would allow all telemetry to talk for about 5 minutes and then would silence until it was used locally again.

Corey

On Jun 8, 2018, at 10:37 AM, Jeff Lehman, KC8QCH <kc8qch@...> wrote:

[...]

This is what I was referring to.  Sorry I should have read everything before responding.   My bad...

Corey n3fe

On Jun 8, 2018, at 10:38 AM, Steve N4IRS <szingman@...> wrote:

[...]

Rob WX1N

Hi Steve and all,

Did any of you go any further with this? I have a DMR<>analog bridge going, but the USRP channel driver does not appear to decode DTMF. I've verified that the DMR radio in question does indeed transmit DTMF via the DMR audio, and that it decodes nicely in other applications, but monitoring the asterisk cli, no digits are detected. Not sure if this is a hard and fast limitation of the USRP driver, or if there is a way to configure it to pass the dtmf through to the ASL software.

Rob, WX1N

Steve N4IRS

Rob,
The USRP_channel driver does not decode DTMF. So the answer is no, you can not decode the DTMF and control the ASL node.

73, Steve N4IRS

On 3/24/19 12:36 PM, Rob WX1N wrote:
Hi Steve and all,

Did any of you go any further with this? I have a DMR<>analog bridge going, but the USRP channel driver does not appear to decode DTMF. I've verified that the DMR radio in question does indeed transmit DTMF via the DMR audio, and that it decodes nicely in other applications, but monitoring the asterisk cli, no digits are detected. Not sure if this is a hard and fast limitation of the USRP driver, or if there is a way to configure it to pass the dtmf through to the ASL software.

Rob, WX1N

Rob WX1N

Thanks Steve. Any plans to add that in the future or a way, or is it too much effort to be worth it?

The USRP_channel driver does not decode DTMF. So the answer is no, you can not decode the DTMF and control the ASL node.

73, Steve N4IRS

On 3/24/19 12:36 PM, Rob WX1N wrote:
Hi Steve and all,

Did any of you go any further with this? I have a DMR<>analog bridge going, but the USRP channel driver does not appear to decode DTMF. I've verified that the DMR radio in question does indeed transmit DTMF via the DMR audio, and that it decodes nicely in other applications, but monitoring the asterisk cli, no digits are detected. Not sure if this is a hard and fast limitation of the USRP driver, or if there is a way to configure it to pass the dtmf through to the ASL software.

Rob, WX1N

Danny Lloyd

I am testing changes to chan_usrp to allow it to decode dtmf.  The results are good.  I will get a pull request out soon.

Danny/KB4MDD

Bravo. Will be welcomed for the
MMDVM FMGateway that Jonathan just released.
It is using USRP interface to ASL

Richard
VE2DJE