DVMega AMBE3000

Matthew 2E0SIP

Hi All,

Does anyone know if the DVMEGA AMBE3000 boards will work with Analog_Bridge?

If it's untested, what does the AMBE3000 board need to expose to Analog_Bridge in order to work? The raw serial interface from the AMBE chip?

Thanks

Matthew
2E0SIP

Steve N4IRS

Matthew,
I do not know of anyone that has tried it. Yes, you should be OK if you can talk to the the AMBE chip. AMBEtest4.py should work.

Steve

On 08/20/2017 03:34 PM, Matthew 2E0SIP wrote:

Hi All,

Does anyone know if the DVMEGA AMBE3000 boards will work with Analog_Bridge?

If it's untested, what does the AMBE3000 board need to expose to Analog_Bridge in order to work? The raw serial interface from the AMBE chip?

Thanks

Matthew
2E0SIP

G7RPG - Peter Kendall

Matt & Steve, I've tried it and it doesn't work.

On 20/08/2017 20:39, Steve N4IRS wrote:
Matthew,
I do not know of anyone that has tried it. Yes, you should be OK if you can talk to the the AMBE chip. AMBEtest4.py should work.

Steve

On 08/20/2017 03:34 PM, Matthew 2E0SIP wrote:

Hi All,

Does anyone know if the DVMEGA AMBE3000 boards will work with Analog_Bridge?

If it's untested, what does the AMBE3000 board need to expose to Analog_Bridge in order to work? The raw serial interface from the AMBE chip?

Thanks

Matthew
2E0SIP

Steve N4IRS

I would love to trouble shoot it. Any possibility I could log into the machine with the hardware installed?

Steve

On 08/20/2017 04:53 PM, G7RPG - Peter Kendall wrote:

Matt & Steve, I've tried it and it doesn't work.

On 20/08/2017 20:39, Steve N4IRS wrote:
Matthew,
I do not know of anyone that has tried it. Yes, you should be OK if you can talk to the the AMBE chip. AMBEtest4.py should work.

Steve

On 08/20/2017 03:34 PM, Matthew 2E0SIP wrote:

Hi All,

Does anyone know if the DVMEGA AMBE3000 boards will work with Analog_Bridge?

If it's untested, what does the AMBE3000 board need to expose to Analog_Bridge in order to work? The raw serial interface from the AMBE chip?

Thanks

Matthew
2E0SIP

Matthew 2E0SIP

Thanks for confirmation Peter.

You never know, Guss might be interested in putting in an analog_bridge mode if only minimal software changes are required.

Cheers both

G7RPG - Peter Kendall

Steve,

Yes no problem, I can plug it into the same box as the the current 3000USB >asl.

I'll set it up and send you the details for you to have play tomorrow.

Peter

On 20/08/2017 21:54, Steve N4IRS wrote:
[...]

Guss got back to me and confirmed-
The ambe board is designed to communicate accordingly to the DVSI spec.
So hopefully it can be made to work.

Out of curiosity Peter, were you interfacing with the AMBE directly via serial, or via the carrier board?

Cheers
Matthew

Steve N4IRS

I did try yesterday to communicate with Peter's install at both 115200 and 230400. I was unable to communicate. I "assume" since it was on USB1 it was the carrier board.
We need to do more looking at DummyRepeater since it supports both the ThumDV and Guus board.

Steve

On 8/22/2017 10:03 AM, Matthew 2E0SIP wrote:
Hi All,
Guss got back to me and confirmed-
The ambe board is designed to communicate accordingly to the DVSI spec.
So hopefully it can be made to work.

Out of curiosity Peter, were you interfacing with the AMBE directly via serial, or via the carrier board?

Cheers
Matthew

G7RPG - Peter Kendall

It was sitting on an Arduino MEGA, I also have the carrier board.

On 22/08/2017 15:03, Matthew 2E0SIP wrote:
Hi All,
Guss got back to me and confirmed-
The ambe board is designed to communicate accordingly to the DVSI spec.
So hopefully it can be made to work.

Out of curiosity Peter, were you interfacing with the AMBE directly via serial, or via the carrier board?

Cheers
Matthew

Mike Zingman - N4IRR

What is the port name for the serial device?  /dev/ttyUSBx, /dev/ttyAMA0, something else?

Steve N4IRS

Can anyone point me to the information on the differences between on a DVMega vs a carrier board?

"What are HB_bridge, IPSC_bridge and Analog_bridge?"

G7RPG - Peter Kendall

Steve, do you want to try with it on the carrier board ?

On 23/08/2017 13:41, Steve N4IRS wrote:
Can anyone point me to the information on the differences between on a
DVMega vs a carrier board?

Steve

Matthew 2E0SIP

Steve - The DVMega AMBE3000 initially came out as a 'shield' that would sit on an Arduino, with an additional audio board so you could plug in a mic / speaker and hold a QSO over a D-Star(?) network via a PC without any local RF.

The next evolution was the 'carrier board' which  removed the requirement for the Arduino , and meant you could plug it directly into a PC and use the PC sound card rather than the additional audio board + Arduino.

Peter - does it look like the carrier board is doing anything other than converting USB to serial?  If not, then hopefully Analog_Bridge can interface with it directly. If there is an additional microcontroller it might be best going straight into the AMBE3000 with a serial adapter

Cheers all for taking an interest in this, much appreciated.

G7RPG - Peter Kendall

Matthew, this is the carrier board if you've not seen one, its a USB to serial converter.

http://www.combitronics.nl/index.php?route=product/product&path=61&product_id=90

On 23/08/2017 15:02, Matthew 2E0SIP wrote:

Steve - The DVMega AMBE3000 initially came out as a 'shield' that would sit on an Arduino, with an additional audio board so you could plug in a mic / speaker and hold a QSO over a D-Star(?) network via a PC without any local RF.

The next evolution was the 'carrier board' which  removed the requirement for the Arduino , and meant you could plug it directly into a PC and use the PC sound card rather than the additional audio board + Arduino.

Peter - does it look like the carrier board is doing anything other than converting USB to serial?  If not, then hopefully Analog_Bridge can interface with it directly. If there is an additional microcontroller it might be best going straight into the AMBE3000 with a serial adapter

Cheers all for taking an interest in this, much appreciated.

Steve N4IRS

Peter,
I am at my desk today. If you want to put the AMBE3000 on a carrier board, I'll give it another try.

Steve

G7RPG - Peter Kendall

Steve,

Just plugged it in now.

Peter

On 24/08/2017 17:14, Steve N4IRS wrote:
Peter,
I am at my desk today. If you want to put the AMBE3000 on a carrier board, I'll give it another try.

Well,
At least I'm getting data back from the AMBE3000 but it's not right. looking at the log.

Steve

On 8/24/2017 12:20 PM, G7RPG - Peter Kendall wrote:

Steve,

Just plugged it in now.

Peter

On 24/08/2017 17:14, Steve N4IRS wrote:
Peter,
I am at my desk today. If you want to put the AMBE3000 on a carrier board, I'll give it another try.

Steve

G7RPG - Peter Kendall

Hi Steve,

Did it turn out to be a case of "Computers Says No" ?

Peter

On 24/08/2017 18:09, Steve N4IRS wrote:
Well,
At least I'm getting data back from the AMBE3000 but it's not right. looking at the log.

Steve

On 8/24/2017 12:20 PM, G7RPG - Peter Kendall wrote:

Steve,

Just plugged it in now.

Peter

On 24/08/2017 17:14, Steve N4IRS wrote:
Peter,
I am at my desk today. If you want to put the AMBE3000 on a carrier board, I'll give it another try.

Steve

Matthew 2E0SIP

Hi Guys,

If it doesn't work out the box it's probably not worth spending more time on it, I was just curious as the DVMEGA AMBE 3000 is about the same cost as the ThumbDV.

I will grab a ThumbDV instead.

Thanks for investigating.

Steve N4IRS

I just had a idea I want to check before we call it a no go.