DVSwitch Client does not receive

Gareth GM0WUR

Hi All,
I’m really hoping someone in this group can help me because I’m tearing my hair out.

I’ve followed every version of the instructions I can find, every tutorial on YouTube yet I can’t make this system work.

ok so firstly I have DVSwitch server running on my Raspberry pi. It works - it’s connected to brandmister  no problems, I can connect the pyUC client via my Mac or PC and that works and I’ve even had one short QSO to the USA.

then we come to the client program on android. I’ve loaded the latest version on to my brand new t320 network radio from Moonraker. I’ve set it up as per the instructions.

and this is where it all goes a bit screwball.

the switch server sees the client, I can change talk groups, if I press PTT the servers diagnostic webpage shows PTT and if you enable the RX monitor function on the servers webpage I can hear my voice.

but…. Receive doesn’t work on the client. The Server is getting traffic, as I’ve said above but nothing is going to the DVSwitch client, it doesn’t show anything on screen, no indication of traffic, no receive audio nothing.

I am at a total loss . Can someone help me please.

many thanks Gareth GM0WUR

Steve N4IRS

Gareth,
Do you have pyUC connected to the server while you are trying to use the Android client? Since you have setup pyUC are you sure you are using the same UDP ports for TX and RX as you are in pyUC?
Check the Analog_Bridge log in /var/log/dvswitch. Any errors?

Steve N4IRS

On 6/30/2021 2:02 PM, steelegwds@... wrote:

[...]

Hi Steve,

no using pyUC or DVSwitch client not trying both at same time as figured that would just confuse the server.

the port settings in pyUC.ini for TX and RX match exactly what’s in the android client (for sanity check I’ve even tested putting them the reverse way round)

Ports reversed - nothing works. No surprise it shouldn’t lol.

ports correct - client can talk / send to the server but never receives.

cheers

gareth

Steve N4IRS

Use the same port number in TX and RX Change port numbers in Analog_Bridge.ini and match in Android Client.

On 6/30/2021 3:12 PM, steelegwds@... wrote:
Hi Steve,

no using pyUC or DVSwitch client not trying both at same time as figured that would just confuse the server.

the port settings in pyUC.ini for TX and RX match exactly what’s in the android client (for sanity check I’ve even tested putting them the reverse way round)

Ports reversed - nothing works. No surprise it shouldn’t lol.

ports correct - client can talk / send to the server but never receives.

cheers

gareth

Gareth GM0WUR

Ok I’ve done that.
but something weird is going on.

with the RX and TX ports set to the same number, if I use the pyUC that works still.

However on the t320 using the android program it now comes up that it’s not registered and on the Home Screen pressing register has no effect.

Which means it can’t transmit or receive..

Steve N4IRS

s the T320 on the same network as the DVSwitch Server?

On 6/30/2021 4:08 PM, steelegwds@... wrote:

Ok I’ve done that.
but something weird is going on.

with the RX and TX ports set to the same number, if I use the pyUC that works still.

However on the t320 using the android program it now comes up that it’s not registered and on the Home Screen pressing register has no effect.

Which means it can’t transmit or receive..

Gareth GM0WUR

Yes same network. The pi is on a lan port of the router the computer running pyUC and the t320 are using the same Wi-Fi which is direct to the router.

Steve N4IRS

Show me your Analog_Bridge .ini and a screen shot of the account settings in Android.

On 6/30/2021 4:27 PM, steelegwds@... wrote:
Yes same network. The pi is on a lan port of the router the computer running pyUC and the t320 are using the same Wi-Fi which is direct to the router.

Steve N4IRS

I am going to be away from the computer for the next few hours. I'll look at your post when I return. Maybe someone else can look it over and comment.

On 6/30/2021 4:27 PM, steelegwds@... wrote:
Yes same network. The pi is on a lan port of the router the computer running pyUC and the t320 are using the same Wi-Fi which is direct to the router.

Gareth GM0WUR

Hi Steve,

Sorry for the delay - got called away on an urgent matter.
Anyway just back in the shack now so here goes.

Gareth GM0WUR

I'm just adding my current testing results.

Ok in an effort to rule out even the absurd. I've gone and paid for a VPS server for a month just to install DVSwitch - I figured lets try a full Deban server outside my LAN really can't do more than that.

So Installed DV Switch and configured it. No problems there it all fired up first time.

Change the config on my Laptop for the pyUC client set the TX and RX ports correctly (TX 50111, RX 50112) this matches the cloud servers settings in Analog_Bridge.ini - as I said before I noticed that using the same port number for both on the mobile client it never registers but different ports it does register (why I have no idea).

Anyway fire up pyUC and bingo! it works first time no faults. I can watch the DVSwitch Dashboard, connect to Parrot system etc etc all works - Two way audio as expected.

So then we move on to the DVSwitch client, just to rule out every possible glitch I can think of IT wise, I connected my t320 to my next-door neighbours WiFi (yes I had permission) configured the App with the appropriate ports and the IP address of the cloud server. It registered! if I enter talk group numbers and press send, Looking at DVSwitch Dashboard sure enough the talk group changes.

Try to transmit, again DVSwitch Dashboard indicates its receiving me and doing it's thing. But when say Parrot system trys to replay my test transmission, it shows in DVSwitch Dashboard but the Mobile Client App stays totally quiet no sign of live, no messages on screen nothing.... Dead as a Dodo.

So wanting to rule out an issue with the t320, I've now gotten hold of both an older Android Phone and a Nvida Shield Android Tablet - Installed DVSwitch client on them both, settings etc - same test... same results, can TX fine, can control the DVSwitch ok. But receive anything from the DVSwitch = NOPE.

The last test I did showed how totally Bonkers this is - Connected Laptop to DVSwitch in the Cloud via the pyUC via one internet connection, then connected the Mobile Client via another internet connection.... Used the Mobile client to transmit to the Parrot system - again Dashboard showed the TX working. Then when parrot replayed my transmission - The mobile client just sat there an did nothing, but the pyUC Client played out my voice and showed me the appropriate data in it's log window.

Talk about weird ass problem lol, anyone have a suggestion here? Steve I know your busy but is anyone else out there that has any ideas?

Praying for a Miracle.
Gareth GM0WUR

Steve N4IRS

Set the 2 ports to the same value and send me the IP address direct szingman@...

On 6/30/21 9:56 PM, steelegwds@... wrote:
[...]

Here is a follow up to this.
I was able to connect to his VPS with DVSwitch Mobile. Gareth found a issue with his wifi / LAN configuration. I'll let him explain.
Gareth, to answer your other question, you can share your DVSwitch Server with your father. You will want to add Analog_Reflector.

Steve N4IRS

[...]

Hi Everyone,

First of all Sorry Steve that this has taken me a while to post. Family medical emergency kept me busy since we were in contact.

Anyway for the benefit of everyone. Thanks to Steve, I can report my DVSwitch Client app is working fully.

After much pondering and trying of things it was discovered that the issues were at the end of the day not related to the DVSwitch Server and ports firewalls etc. That was proven because Steve connected to the server first time and it worked. So that left me with the t320 and the client to look at.

What eventually was discovered was that after putting a SIM card into the t320 and switching off wifi it all started working, Reconnect to the WiFi directly built in to the ISP router - Again it was now working A OK.

It would appear that the issue was that my main WiFi sits behind a couple of Managed network switches and somehow UDP packets were getting blocked on their way back in.

Honestly I'm at a loss to explain it. However a full shutdown and reboot of my network from scratch to make sure all the ARP tables etc etc were flushed and no I'm happy to report the Client on the t320 is working using 4G, WiFi (my main and ISP direct) also it works tethered to my Mobile Phone.

So there you have it...... Thanks again to Steve!

Best Regards,

Gareth GM0WUR