Topics

dvswitch.ini multiple instances

I need some help I've been experiences audio disappearing whenever I try setting up multiple instances of MMDVM. It works fine when using one instance but when I add a second or more that's when the issue appears. I've been duplicating the MMDVM_Bridge folder and calling it MMDVM_Bridge_TGXXXX. In the duplicated folder I make the program and ini also represent the name changed.

However the DVSwitch.ini remains the same.

after seeing this in the comments

; MMDVM_Bridge export / import configuration file.
;   This file should be placed along side of MMDVM_Bridge or it can be
;   supplied as a path on the MMDVM_BRIDGE environment variable.

I'm thinking i need to make my DVSwitch.ini unique on the other instaces as well but i don't know how to do it for the environment variable?

would it be added in the mmdvm_bridge_TGXXXX service file somewhere?

any suggestions?

Bueller? ;)

On Thu, Feb 7, 2019, 2:26 PM Russell, KV4S via Groups.Io <russelljthomas=gmail.com@groups.io wrote:
[...]

Steve KC1AWV

 - I'm thinking i need to make my DVSwitch.ini unique on the other instaces as well but i don't know how to do it for the environment variable?

Correct. You will also have to make a copy of the existing mmdvm_bridge.service file in /lib/systemd/system with a new name (like mmdvm_bridge-tgxxxxx) and change the line

WorkingDirectory=/opt/MMDVM_Bridge

to reflect the folder name for the unique instance of MMDVM_Bridge for it to read the correct DVSwitch.ini file. Then, start the new service using the new name you gave the copied service file.

--
Steve Miller
KC1AWV

Steve,

thanks for the response, yes i'm making new service files and naming them accordingly and changing the contents to reflect the new paths.

my question is around the dvswitch.ini file if i make a dvswitch_TGXXXX.ini
how do i tell mmdvm_bridge to use it.

if i simply rename it the log shows unable to fine dvswitch.ini

On Fri, Feb 8, 2019 at 5:17 PM Steve KC1AWV <smiller@...> wrote:
[...]

my problem lies around 2 mmdvm's i'm getting audio drop outs when they are both running. I suspect it's because the dvswitch.ini is named the same for both.

i moved one mmdmv to another separate server and it works flawlessly. but on the same server they start conflicting with each other is what i'm thinking.

On Fri, Feb 8, 2019 at 6:44 PM Russell, KV4S via Groups.Io <russelljthomas=gmail.com@groups.io> wrote:
[...]

If you copy all the MMDVM_Bridge files from one folder to another, you do not need to rename any of the files. Just rename the folders. In the service files, changing the WorkingDirectory line to the folder you renamed, it will make the system run the DVSwitch.ini file in that folder.

On Fri, Feb 8, 2019, 7:44 PM Russell, KV4S <russelljthomas@... wrote:
[...]

Edited

I'll give you an example,

I have two DMR connections, one for BM and one for XLX.

I have two folders, /opt/MMDVM_Bridge-BM and /opt/MMDVM_Bridge-XLX

In the service files, mmdvm_bridge-bm.service has a WorkingDirectory=/opt/MMDVM_Bridge-BM and the system runs the DVSwitch.ini file in that folder for my BM setup
And, mmdvm_bridge-xlx.service has a WorkingDirectory=/opt/MMDVM_Bridge-XLX and the system runs the DVSwitch.ini file in that folder for my XLX setup.

I didn't have to rename files, just the folders.

On Fri, Feb 8, 2019, 10:09 PM Steve KC1AWV <smiller@... wrote:
[...]

I understand what you are saying. the directories make the difference not the file names. I've tried it with just distinct folder names then renaming the files in the folders, I've tried it both ways.

What OS are you using?

What I'm experiencing goes against how I think it's supposed to work and even what you are saying.

I've mainly been experimenting with a personl bridge on a PI where i have different talk groups linked to different private nodes and one DMR to YSF bridge.
I'm changing the ports in the dvswitch.inis like I should be no port duplication on what's being used.
I'm thinking something is conflicting. For example i downloaded an mmdvm ini from a server i worked on from someone else. I had it in the home directory.
i coped it to where the program is running modified it for what I needed but when the node logged into brandmeister it kept trying to talk on the TG that was listed in the home directories ini not where i was telling it mmdvm's ini? does that make sense? Also, i made my talk group static set it in brandmeister dashboard but it was making a dynamic tg to the other bridge in the cloud that had nothing to do with what was on the pi other that the ini i downloaded was in the /home directory.
when i deleted the home directories ini and restarted mmdvm that problem with the dashboard went away.
I'm making copies of everything, mmdvm, analog, and md380 each instance is in a unique folder, each file has a unique name except the dvswitch.ini.
same goes for all the services. I have the md380 on different ports as well.
I'm not saying it's perfect but I feel like I've done a pretty good job of making sure evething is setup like it should be. this conflict with audio and the bm dashboad is making me thing maybe there is a bug going on somewhere? maybe it's something weird with the PI OS?

On Fri, Feb 8, 2019 at 9:20 PM Steve KC1AWV <smiller@...> wrote:

[Edited Message Follows]

[...]

Peter M0NWI

You’ve done the obvious and changed the Ip port numbers you’re using for the second instance?
[...]

Jonathan Herman

Hey Russel, just finished building it and it looks like all the configurations all took so once i repoint my dns for my work site I'll try it again. Turns out I missed one huge step and that was copying the 1999 stanza from the group, not sure how I skipped over that when I was reading but it was the first thing I noticed when I started working on it again.

[...]

Steve N4IRS

MMDVM_Birdge will find MMDVM.ini in 2 ways.
If you just run ./MMDVM_Bridge it will look for the MMDVM.ini in the /etc directory  if you have MMDVM_Bridge and MMDVM.ini in the same directory, run ./MMDVM_Bridge MMDVM.ini

It comes down to, Linux needs to know where the program is and MMDVM_Bridge needs to know where MMDVM.ini is.

MMDVM_Bridge will look for DVSwitch in the same directory as MB.

This is the best I can do typing on a phone.

Sent via smoke signal (AT&T)

[...]

In the service file (actually systemd unit file, also edit the execute line with the proper path to the executable and ini file.

Sent via smoke signal (AT&T)

[...]

I'm running three servers. Two with Debian 9, one for my ASL hub, one for my XLX reflector. I have one Pi set up as an ASL node for a DStar bridge locally.

i coped it to where the program is running modified it for what I needed but when the node logged into brandmeister it kept trying to talk on the TG that was listed in the home directories ini not where i was telling it mmdvm's ini? does that make sense?

I think I understand what you're saying. Were you running MMDVM_Bridge from the /home directory on console for that instance or were you starting a service? It sounds like you were running it in the foreground on the console, which means that whatever directory you were running MMDVM_Bridge from was the working directory, even if the .ini file was called from a different folder.

Example - say, pwd tells me I'm in /home/MMDVM_Bridge-Test. I run ./MMDVM_Bridge /opt/MMDVM_Bridge-Test2/MMDVM_Bridge.ini so, MMDVM_Bridge runs the .ini file from that different folder, BUT the DVSwitch.ini file is called from the working directory - in this case, /home/MMDVM_Bridge-Test. That's why in the .service file, there's a WorkingDirectory env variable, so it runs the correct instance of MMDVM_Bridge that will call the DVSwitch.ini from the same folder.

Which means, that even if you ran a specific .ini file for MMDVM_Bridge, it was running the DVSwitch.ini in the directory you launched it MMDVM_Bridge from, and the ports were loaded for a different instance that may have already been running, forwarding your data to the wrong instance of MMDVM_Bridge. Try launching MMDVM_Bridge from the directory that has the correct DVSwitch.ini file you need if you're running it in the foreground.

I think that's what's happening there.