Topics

Interface Icom D-Star repeater to DVSwitch?

Jim Kusznir

Hello:

I'm probably off-base here, but hopefully someone can point me in the right direction...

I have an Icom D-Star DV repeater (eg, ID-RP4000V and ID-RP2C).  The gateway software (which apparently requires Centos 5!) seems to not have been updated in a decade or so....But I'm not finding any other instructions on how to enable this perfectly good hardware to participate in a D-Star network.

Can a component of DV Switch provide the IP interface that the controller is looking for to allow this RF system to be fully D-Star enabled (connected)?  If not, is there another project or direction I should look before trying to build a Centos 5 VM and find the ancient versions of software that the Icom CD that shipped with the repeater requires?

I greatly appreciate your help!
Thanks!
--Jim, K7LL

Steve N4IRS

Jim,
Let me start with, I don't have a clue. That being said, if anything MAYBE you can use the installation of ircDDBGateway on DVSwitch Server as a way to access the network. I would suggest researching Icom repeater and ircDDBGateway. Maybe someone has more info.

Steve N4IRS

On 12/31/20 4:20 PM, Jim Kusznir wrote:
[...]

Jeff Lehman, N8ACL

Hi Jim!

So it’s been a while since I dinked with a d-star machine, but I can at least tell you “from what I remember”. It does require Centos, but with the updates to ircddbgateway, you MAY be able to update to a newer version of Centos. However, to be able to handle the registrations and user database, I believe you still need to have the gateway installed on the computer running everything. Now here is where I also get into i don’t know. I don’t remember if ircddbgateway is what handled that or not. I don’t believe so. There may be an updated version of the old registration gateway software that may be able to be used, but that would take some research. But I do know that that piece was needed for the user database and registering the repeater on the network.

Your mileage may vary at this point. Like I said it’s been since d-star first made its appearance that I messed with it. So updates may have been put out,  it I have not followed it in a while.

Jeff

On Dec 31, 2020, at 16:28, Steve N4IRS <szingman@...> wrote:

[...]

David Ranch

Hello Jim,

Icom's G2 gateway software was based on Centos5 but their newer G3 gateway software uses Centos7.  Here is a URL that might help answer some of your questions:

   https://dstar.info/

It's worth mentioning that I understand that Icom has a new G4 software stack in Beta.  I think it's been in Beta for a while now and I have no idea when they might release it.  There is also a question around Centos's charter change around Centos 8 vs. Centos Stream but we'll have to see what comes of that.

--David
KI6ZHD

On 12/31/2020 01:20 PM, Jim Kusznir wrote:
[...]

lloyd Duck

You can setup the ICom D-Star repeater and use Centos 7 and make it a G3 gateway (new stuff) or use Pi-Star image and use a raspberry pi for the gateway.

Lloyd, W5LND

On Dec 31, 2020, at 3:20 PM, Jim Kusznir <jim@...> wrote:

[...]

Ken KE2N

With Pi Star, you can specify repeater type 1 in the gateway configure and it will talk to an ID RP2C repeater controller and any attached ICOM DSTAR repeater(s).   I run that here on 2 meters.

So if DVS has the same gateway software as Pi Star (?) it might work. So the question is: Does the DVS DSTAR Gateway support repeater type 1 (meaning the RP2C interface)?

This is of interest to me since (maybe) I could replace my Pi Star gateway with DVS and its DSTAR Gateway and then have bridging options in the same box.

Ken

Steve N4IRS

Unless Pi-Star ha modified ircDDBGateway, the version of ircDDBGateway should be the same. Of course, you will have to edit the ircDDBGateway config by hand. /etc/ircddbgateway

On 1/1/21 10:23 AM, Ken KE2N via groups.io wrote:
With Pi Star, you can specify repeater type 1 in the gateway configure and it will talk to an ID RP2C repeater controller and any attached ICOM DSTAR repeater(s).   I run that here on 2 meters.

So if DVS has the same gateway software as Pi Star (?) it might work. So the question is: Does the DVS DSTAR Gateway support repeater type 1 (meaning the RP2C interface)?

This is of interest to me since (maybe) I could replace my Pi Star gateway with DVS and its DSTAR Gateway and then have bridging options in the same box.

Ken

Jim Kusznir

Thank you, this is just the type of answer I was hoping for!

I'll give pi-star a try!  With luck, the W7YH icom repeater that has been off the network for about 5 years will be back online soon!

--Jim, K7LL

lloyd Duck

It’s was changed awhile back to work correctly the RP2C when selected as the modem. Even does a virtual Nic to allow the pi-star to talk to the RP2C when both are plugged into the same LAN network “switch or router”. It’s very user friendly to setup now thanks to Andrew. All settings are done from the configuration page.

Lloyd Duck, W5LND

On Jan 1, 2021, at 9:27 AM, Steve N4IRS <szingman@...> wrote:

 Unless Pi-Star ha modified ircDDBGateway, the version of ircDDBGateway should be the same. Of course, you will have to edit the ircDDBGateway config by hand. /etc/ircddbgateway

On 1/1/21 10:23 AM, Ken KE2N via groups.io wrote:
With Pi Star, you can specify repeater type 1 in the gateway configure and it will talk to an ID RP2C repeater controller and any attached ICOM DSTAR repeater(s).   I run that here on 2 meters.

So if DVS has the same gateway software as Pi Star (?) it might work. So the question is: Does the DVS DSTAR Gateway support repeater type 1 (meaning the RP2C interface)?

This is of interest to me since (maybe) I could replace my Pi Star gateway with DVS and its DSTAR Gateway and then have bridging options in the same box.

Ken

Ryan Collier

Do you still need help with this issue? I have 2 ICOM repeater stacks running full stack. I have ICOM software installed and running along with ircddbgateway. I do run starnet at STN093_C (Chat). I can help with the process.