ircddbgateway to XLX reflector

Patrick Perdue

Hi:

I know this isn't a forum for ircddbgateway, but I am trying to get it connected to my XLX reflector on module B.

Currently, I have a setup involving XLX with a pair of AMBE dongles, which I set up before implementing ASL and DVSwitch over two years ago. This means there is a second layer of transcoding between Allstar and D-STAR. I want to attach this to an instance of Analog_Bridge, and thus, Analog_Reflector, to remove this layer of transcoding, and free up one of my AMBE dongles in the process. However, I'm not familiar enough with ircddbgateway to really know what I'm doing, and have read so many forum posts that nothing makes sense anymore.

If you can help, please feel free to write to me off-list, as this isn't exactly a DVSwitch issue.

Thanks and 73

N2DYI

On 12/12/21 2:24 am, Patrick Perdue wrote:
Hi:

I know this isn't a forum for ircddbgateway, but I am trying to get it
connected to my XLX reflector on module B.

Currently, I have a setup involving XLX with a pair of AMBE dongles,
which I set up before implementing ASL and DVSwitch over two years
ago. This means there is a second layer of transcoding between Allstar
and D-STAR. I want to attach this to an instance of Analog_Bridge, and
thus, Analog_Reflector, to remove this layer of transcoding, and free
up one of my AMBE dongles in the process. However, I'm not familiar
enough with ircddbgateway to really know what I'm doing, and have read
so many forum posts that nothing makes sense anymore.
Unfortunately, the problem here is xlxd itself.  The PCM stream isn't
made available to the outside world.  The ideal solution is to add USRP
support to xlxd, which would allow it to be linked directly to
Analog_Reflector, AllStar, etc.  Of course, you'd still need both AMBE
dongles.  I suspect adding USRP would be a complicated undertaking,
because of how the transcoding is used dynamically between modules as
needed.

While there's a lot to like about xlxd, it can also be a pain to
integrate into more complex networks.

A workaround is to use different modules for D-STAR and DMR/Fusion.
Each with its own instance of Analog_Bridge and MMDVM_Bridge, with
ircDDBGateway linking to the D-STAR module.  Note that you need to use a
different IP for ircDDBGateway and xlxd, because both listen on the same
ports.  I use a variation of this idea for my main multimode reflector.
XLX432 D is the D-STAR reflector.  Fusion (Same codec as DMR) has its
own reflector.

--
73 de Tony VK3JED/VK3IRL
http://vkradio.com

Patrick Perdue

That is exactly what I plan to do -- move D-STAR users to module B, and keep all the other digital stuff on module A, then take the XLX transcoder offline. Ideally, this wouldn't be necessary, but as you said, there is no PCM stream from XLXD.

I've got plenty of IP's and network interfaces to play with, no big deal there.

On 12/12/2021 3:47 PM, Tony Langdon wrote:
[...]

Yep sounds like a plan.  The main thing is to ensure ircDDBGateway and
xlxd are on different IPs.

One little query though is whether it might not be better to move the
non D-STAR users, since this could possibly be done a bit more
transparently, rather than relying on users to reprogram their radios or
remember to change their destination?

On 13/12/21 2:36 pm, Patrick Perdue wrote:
[...]

I thought about that, but there is so much stuff linked to module A, and comparatively few D-STAR users that it is probably easier to just move D-STAR to module B and have those few people reprogram their radios.

D-STAR is one of the least popular modes on my system, the least being WIRES x. I have an analog WIRES x bridge connected using a Yaesu HRI-200 interfaced to a private ASL node. Most are using Allstar.