Topics

Jackhammer Sound

Jeff Lehman, N8ACL

HI all,

I just did an install of another bridge and I am getting this weird sound. Background....

I am building a DMR<--> ASL bridge on a VM. I have one system on one VM and the Bridge on another. I am using USRP to connect from the main ASL system to the VM/Bridge. I have done this before with a YSF reflector, using USRP to connect to AB on a second VM with the YSF reflector running on it with MB.

I have AB and MB on the bridge VM and have USRP connected properly. When I key up I can see the traffic flow in the right directions.

Problem is, I get this jackhammer, almost grinding sound when I key up from Either end. If i key from ASL, I have the grinding on DMR. Same thing if I key from the radio going to ASL.

This has happened before in the past and I was able to reload the system from a snapshot and the problem went away. My gut says it's something maybe with md380-emu?

Thoughts?

Jeff, N8ACL

--
Jeff Lehman, N8ACL
E-mail: @n8acl
Hamshack Hotline: 4218

Webmaster
Hamilton County ARPSC
http://www.hamcoarpsc.org
E-mail: @hamcoarpsc
Phone: 513-452-6480

Technical Director
World Wide Amateur Radio Guild
https://hamradiohub.com/
E-Mail: n8acl@...

Steve N4IRS

That would be my guess. Turn off the emulator and retest.

On 8/2/19 3:59 PM, Jeff Lehman, N8ACL via Groups.Io wrote:
HI all,

I just did an install of another bridge and I am getting this weird sound. Background....

I am building a DMR<--> ASL bridge on a VM. I have one system on one VM and the Bridge on another. I am using USRP to connect from the main ASL system to the VM/Bridge. I have done this before with a YSF reflector, using USRP to connect to AB on a second VM with the YSF reflector running on it with MB.

I have AB and MB on the bridge VM and have USRP connected properly. When I key up I can see the traffic flow in the right directions.

Problem is, I get this jackhammer, almost grinding sound when I key up from Either end. If i key from ASL, I have the grinding on DMR. Same thing if I key from the radio going to ASL.

This has happened before in the past and I was able to reload the system from a snapshot and the problem went away. My gut says it's something maybe with md380-emu?

Thoughts?

Jeff, N8ACL

Jeff Lehman, N8ACL

I stopped it and still got the jackhammer.....

I checked status of the Emulator....

systemctl status md380-emu
* md380-emu.service - MD-380 Emulator Service
   Loaded: loaded (/lib/systemd/system/md380-emu.service; enabled; vendor preset: enabled)
   Active: activating (auto-restart) (Result: exit-code) since Fri 2019-08-02 20:09:04 UTC; 209ms ago
  Process: 673 ExecStart=/opt/md380-emu/md380-emu -S 2470 (code=exited, status=203/EXEC)
 Main PID: 673 (code=exited, status=203/EXEC)
md380-emu.service: Failed with result 'exit-code'.

On 8/2/19 4:01 PM, Steve N4IRS wrote:

HI all,

Thoughts?

Jeff, N8ACL

--
Jeff Lehman, N8ACL

Webmaster
Hamilton County ARPSC

Technical Director

Steve N4IRS

Did you disable use emulator in AB.ini?

On 8/2/19 4:09 PM, Jeff Lehman, N8ACL via Groups.Io wrote:

Loaded: loaded (/lib/systemd/system/md380-emu.service; enabled; vendor preset: enabled)
   Active: activating (auto-restart) (Result: exit-code) since Fri 2019-08-02 20:09:04 UTC; 209ms ago
  Process: 673 ExecStart=/opt/md380-emu/md380-emu -S 2470 (code=exited, status=203/EXEC)

HI all,

Thoughts?

Jeff, N8ACL

Jeff Lehman, N8ACL

ooops.....Lemme try again....

That did it....I stopped the md380-emu and disabled it in the bridge. it is working now.

Thanks Steve....

Jeff, N8ACL

On 8/2/19 4:26 PM, Steve N4IRS wrote:

HI all,

Thoughts?

Jeff, N8ACL

--
Jeff Lehman, N8ACL

Webmaster
Hamilton County ARPSC

Technical Director

Steve N4IRS

Your best bet is to try to troubleshoot md380-emu since it will sound better then the built in OP25. (for DMR, YSFn, NXDN and definitive D-Star)

On 8/2/19 4:39 PM, Jeff Lehman, N8ACL via Groups.Io wrote:

That did it....I stopped the md380-emu and disabled it in the bridge. it is working now.

Thanks Steve....

Jeff, N8ACL

HI all,

Thoughts?

Jeff, N8ACL

Jeff Lehman, N8ACL

Any thoughts on where I should start? I agree that it would sound much better, but I have no idea where to start with that one...

On 8/2/19 4:42 PM, Steve N4IRS wrote:
Your best bet is to try to troubleshoot md380-emu since it will sound better then the built in OP25. (for DMR, YSFn, NXDN and definitive D-Star)

Thanks Steve....

Jeff, N8ACL

HI all,

Thoughts?

Jeff, N8ACL

--
Jeff Lehman, N8ACL

Webmaster
Hamilton County ARPSC

Technical Director

Steve N4IRS

Run both in the foreground. what gets output to the console?

On 8/2/19 4:43 PM, Jeff Lehman, N8ACL via Groups.Io wrote:
Any thoughts on where I should start? I agree that it would sound much better, but I have no idea where to start with that one...

On 8/2/19 4:42 PM, Steve N4IRS wrote:

Thanks Steve....

Jeff, N8ACL

HI all,

Thoughts?

Jeff, N8ACL

Waldek SP2ONG

Hi,

I have a similar problem on one of my VM 64 Bits Debian 9.  I thought that I have internally problem with configuration but I can not find where is a problem. Sometimes help reboot but not always. It looks like time to time when starting md380-emu, I suppose that md380-emu is don't working correct but how to debug md380-emu? 

Chris K7AZ

Hi Steve,
Also battling the jackhammer thing.
Can you send clip of A_B.ini showing where to disable the MD380?

Thanks,
Chris K7AZ 

Sent from my Verizon, Samsung Galaxy smartphone

-------- Original message --------
Date: 8/2/19 13:44 (GMT-08:00)
To: main@DVSwitch.groups.io
Subject: Re: [DVSwitch] Jackhammer Sound

Run both in the foreground. what gets output to the console?

On 8/2/19 4:43 PM, Jeff Lehman, N8ACL via Groups.Io wrote:
> Any thoughts on where I should start? I agree that it would sound much
> better, but I have no idea where to start with that one...
>
> On 8/2/19 4:42 PM, Steve N4IRS wrote:
>> Your best bet is to try to troubleshoot md380-emu since it will sound
>> better then the built in OP25. (for DMR, YSFn, NXDN and definitive
>> D-Star)
>>
>> On 8/2/19 4:39 PM, Jeff Lehman, N8ACL via Groups.Io wrote:
>>> ooops.....Lemme try again....
>>>
>>> That did it....I stopped the md380-emu and disabled it in the
>>> bridge. it is working now.
>>>
>>> Thanks Steve....
>>>
>>> Jeff, N8ACL
>>>
>>> On 8/2/19 4:26 PM, Steve N4IRS wrote:
>>>> Did you disable use emulator in AB.ini?
>>>>
>>>> On 8/2/19 4:09 PM, Jeff Lehman, N8ACL via Groups.Io wrote:
>>>>> I stopped it and still got the jackhammer.....
>>>>>
>>>>> I checked status of the Emulator....
>>>>>
>>>>> systemctl status md380-emu
>>>>> * md380-emu.service - MD-380 Emulator Service
>>>>>    Loaded: loaded (/lib/systemd/system/md380-emu.service; enabled;
>>>>> vendor preset: enabled)
>>>>>    Active: activating (auto-restart) (Result: exit-code) since Fri
>>>>> 2019-08-02 20:09:04 UTC; 209ms ago
>>>>>   Process: 673 ExecStart=/opt/md380-emu/md380-emu -S 2470
>>>>> (code=exited, status=203/EXEC)
>>>>>  Main PID: 673 (code=exited, status=203/EXEC)
>>>>> md380-emu.service: Failed with result 'exit-code'.
>>>>>
>>>>> On 8/2/19 4:01 PM, Steve N4IRS wrote:
>>>>>> That would be my guess. Turn off the emulator and retest.
>>>>>>
>>>>>> On 8/2/19 3:59 PM, Jeff Lehman, N8ACL via Groups.Io wrote:
>>>>>>> HI all,
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>> I just did an install of another bridge and I am getting this
>>>>>>> weird sound. Background....
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>> I am building a DMR<--> ASL bridge on a VM. I have one system on
>>>>>>> one VM and the Bridge on another. I am using USRP to connect
>>>>>>> from the main ASL system to the VM/Bridge. I have done this
>>>>>>> before with a YSF reflector, using USRP to connect to AB on a
>>>>>>> second VM with the YSF reflector running on it with MB.
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>> I have AB and MB on the bridge VM and have USRP connected
>>>>>>> properly. When I key up I can see the traffic flow in the right
>>>>>>> directions.
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>> Problem is, I get this jackhammer, almost grinding sound when I
>>>>>>> key up from Either end. If i key from ASL, I have the grinding
>>>>>>> on DMR. Same thing if I key from the radio going to ASL.
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>> This has happened before in the past and I was able to reload
>>>>>>> the system from a snapshot and the problem went away. My gut
>>>>>>> says it's something maybe with md380-emu?
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>> Thoughts?
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>> Jeff, N8ACL
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>
>>>>>>
>>>>>>
>>>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>
>>
>>
>>

Waldek SP2ONG

Hi,

Sometimes it helped me solve this problem with changing the port of md380 from 2470 to for example 2450

The port number is defined in 

/lib/systemd/system/md380-emu.services

change

ExecStart=/opt/md380-emu/md380-emu -S 2470

to

ExecStart=/opt/md380-emu/md380-emu -S 2450

restart md3800emu

systemctl restart md380-emu

and change in Analog_Bridge.ini

from

emulatorAddress = 127.0.0.1:2470

to

emulatorAddress = 127.0.0.1:2450

restart analog bridge

systemctl restart analog_bridge

On Sat, Aug 31, 2019 at 08:24 PM, Chris K7AZ wrote:
jackhammer

Chris K7AZ

I double checked the md-380.emu and then rebooted.   After that, it worked again without jack hammer.  
Cue Twilight Zone music  :)

Date: 8/31/19 23:22 (GMT-08:00)

Hi,

Sometimes it helped me solve this problem with changing the port of md380 from 2470 to for example 2450

The port number is defined in 

/lib/systemd/system/md380-emu.services

change

ExecStart=/opt/md380-emu/md380-emu -S 2470

to

ExecStart=/opt/md380-emu/md380-emu -S 2450

restart md3800emu

systemctl restart md380-emu

and change in Analog_Bridge.ini

from

emulatorAddress = 127.0.0.1:2470

to

emulatorAddress = 127.0.0.1:2450

restart analog bridge

systemctl restart analog_bridge

On Sat, Aug 31, 2019 at 08:24 PM, Chris K7AZ wrote:
jackhammer

Tom Corcoran

Chris,

does this mean that you disabled the md380-emu emulator or did issue disappear with emulator turned on?

--
Tom VE3NY

Chris K7AZ

Problem cleared after several reboots and verification the emulator was enabled.    Was about to reload from last good snapshot but it just started working for no good reasons.   Doing a COP 4 command was used to verify tone on TG.  

Date: 9/9/19 12:35 (GMT-08:00)

Chris,

does this mean that you disabled the md380-emu emulator or did issue disappear with emulator turned on?

--
Tom VE3NY

Steve N4IRS

I have to start this message by stating that I have never heard the "jack hammer" on my DVSM node. Mike says he got it once but he is not sure what caused it. We do have some ideas and we are discussing possible remedies. We think md380-emu gets confused and until the emulator is restarted the noise will continue.

With this in mind, rather then rebooting the entire node, which tells us nothing, just restart the emulator. The nature of the UDP connection from AB allows this. I can suggest two methods to restart the emulator:
1: systemctl restart md380-emu from the command line.
2: add a macro to AB.ini in the [MACRO] stanza
5678 = systemctl restart md380.emu

With the second option, when you hear the "jack hammer" send *5678 from DVSM.

Please let us know the result. When reporting please let us know the mode (DMR, YSF, NXDN...) and where the  "jack hammer" is heard.

Steve N4IRS

On 9/9/19 4:08 PM, Chris K7AZ via Groups.Io wrote:
Problem cleared after several reboots and verification the emulator was enabled.    Was about to reload from last good snapshot but it just started working for no good reasons.   Doing a COP 4 command was used to verify tone on TG.  

Date: 9/9/19 12:35 (GMT-08:00)

Chris,

--
Tom VE3NY

Waldek SP2ONG

Edited

Steve ,

I agree that it's currently difficult to find the reason for this problem, but it seems that this is a md380-emu problem.
Once when I was looking for where the problem was
and I had a "jackhammer" audio, I only changed the IP address for md380-emu to the address on the local network of the computer where md380-emu also worked and
everything worked correctly in DMR.
When I switched back to 127.0.0.1, there was a problem with the audio.

Restarting md380-emu doesn't always help. This is a difficult problem to locate but it would be nice if we could locate it.

The md380-emu restart macro is a good idea

73 Waldek

I got the jack hammer effect after my computer froze. Would not go away.
sudo apt-get --purge  remove md380-emu then install new copy fixed my problem.

Steve N4IRS

Ernie,
Once the computer froze, did you restart the computer and test before purging and reinstalling md380-emu?

Steve

On 9/10/19 3:12 AM, Ernie Gm7kbk wrote:

The effect started on reboot of computer. Did a fresh install of the emulator still had the same problem. Found the purge command on google. Worked ever since.

From: main@DVSwitch.groups.io <main@DVSwitch.groups.io> on behalf of Steve N4IRS <szingman@...>
Sent: Tuesday, September 10, 2019 10:35:34 AM
To: main@DVSwitch.groups.io <main@DVSwitch.groups.io>

Ernie,
Once the computer froze, did you restart the computer and test before purging and reinstalling md380-emu?

Steve

On 9/10/19 3:12 AM, Ernie Gm7kbk wrote: