Topics

M17 to ASL


Skyler Fennell
 

Is there a solution to bridge M17 to ASL?


Steve N4IRS
 
Edited

No We will cross that bridge when we come to it.


On 11/15/20 11:01 AM, Skyler Fennell wrote:
Is there a solution to bridge M17 to ASL?


Skyler Fennell
 

Copy,

The mode kinda sucks anyway, I love the codec being open source but it sounds like garbage, my ears have to strain to understand some people depending on if their voice fits the codecs ideals. 

We need a mode that runs 8-10kbps over ham radio, the bands are wide open, there's no traffic and we have plenty of bandwidth on UHF for example. We're not commercial, and not running out of space. 

Sure, we might be running out of repeater coordinations in large cities but just because we have full coordinations, does not mean people are using them...

I would love to see an implementation of G.729 or similar directly over RF. 


On Sun, Nov 15, 2020 at 9:08 AM Steve N4IRS <szingman@...> wrote:
No

On 11/15/20 11:01 AM, Skyler Fennell wrote:
Is there a solution to bridge M17 to ASL?


Steve KC1AWV
 

Skyler,

I'm sorry that your experience with M17 hasn't been as stellar as some may expect. Please, understand that the protocol is still very much in its infancy, and there are many people working on the protocol to improve it.

As of now, there are no plans by the M17 Working Group on implementing any sort of cross-mode / cross-protocol capability, as the protocol is still not finished. There are several projects working on doing so, but again these are all very much in an 'alpha' stage. If you would like to participate or know more about the progress, you may visit the website or join us on our chat channels to further the discussion there.

Thanks!

Steve KC1AWV


Skyler Fennell
 

Thank you Steve, I really appreciate your work! 



On Mon, Nov 16, 2020 at 6:31 AM Steve KC1AWV <smiller+groups@...> wrote:
Skyler,

I'm sorry that your experience with M17 hasn't been as stellar as some may expect. Please, understand that the protocol is still very much in its infancy, and there are many people working on the protocol to improve it.

As of now, there are no plans by the M17 Working Group on implementing any sort of cross-mode / cross-protocol capability, as the protocol is still not finished. There are several projects working on doing so, but again these are all very much in an 'alpha' stage. If you would like to participate or know more about the progress, you may visit the website or join us on our chat channels to further the discussion there.

Thanks!

Steve KC1AWV


Skyler Fennell
 

Sorry Steve (kc1awv) for bad mouthing the mode, sometimes I forget the filter, and think its a really cool project and am willing to help where I can to improve on it.

I’m guilty of it too but a lot of us take all this free open source software for granted.

Skyler 

On Mon, Nov 16, 2020 at 7:09 AM Steve N4IRS <szingman@...> wrote:

[Edited Message Follows]

No We will cross that bridge when we come to it.

On 11/15/20 11:01 AM, Skyler Fennell wrote:
Is there a solution to bridge M17 to ASL?