Monit stopped working, checking DVstick 30 is being used

David J Taylor

[Repost - no replies received before, help would be appreciated]

I recently installed DVSwitch on a spare Raspberry Pi 3B and it seems to
be working perfectly, however:

- I installed on an existing working RPi rather then from the image. I
don't appear to have a dvswitch account. Does that matter?

- I added a DVstick 30 (with the device powered down...), configured
again, and the functions appear to be working correctly. I've not been
able to do A/B testing but I feel the quality is better on DMR. Is
there any way from the dashboard (or otherwise) I can check that the
DVstick 30 is working and in use?

- The Monit function appears to have stopped working, after the DVstick
30 install. I get no response from the :2812 port, and if I try:

sudo monit status

I get I set of error messages including:

/etc/monit/conf-enabled/ysfparrot:5: Program does not exist:
'/usr/bin/systemctl'
/etc/monit/conf-enabled/ysfparrot:6: Program does not exist:
'/usr/bin/systemctl'
[]
/etc/monit/conf-enabled/system:6: Program does not exist: '/usr/bin/echo'
[]
/etc/monit/conf-enabled/analog_bridge:7: Program does not exist:
'/usr/bin/systemctl'
Cannot create socket to [localhost]:2812 -- Connection refused

I've not used Monit before so I'm unsure where to start trouble-shooting!

Thanks,
David
Web: https://www.satsignal.eu
Email: david-taylor@blueyonder.co.uk
Twitter: @gm8arv

Quickest way to see if its working is to look at the Dvstick.  Constant light will appear on Tx.

Or start AB in a window and watch the log. There will be a line saying using hardware.

On 07/03/2021 08:33, Ernie Gm7kbk wrote:
Quickest way to see if its working is to look at the Dvstick.  Constant light will appear on Tx.
Or start AB in a window and watch the log. There will be a line saying using hardware.
Many thanks, Ernie.

I'm a little out of my depth here! Lack of knowledge on this arrangement.

I don't see any LEDs glowing on the DVstick30 at all, but it's not often in transmit mode. Is the DVstick used in DMR etc. or just in D-STAR?

I don't know how to start the AB from the command-line, so that I can watch the log. If I use the dashboard and hover over the AB info I see:

[DV3000]
address: /dev/ttyAMA0
rxPort: 2460
serial: true

However I already have a GPS device which is on AMA0. Shouldn't that be USB0, and if so, how do I correct? I /thought/ I'd selected USB in the configuration screen.

There are other questions but let's get this resolved first!

Thanks,
David
Web: https://www.satsignal.eu
Email: david-taylor@blueyonder.co.uk
Twitter: @gm8arv

Steve N4IRS

David,
Did you use the dvs menu to setup the DVstick30?

Steve N4IRS

On 07/03/2021 12:40, Steve N4IRS wrote:
David,
Did you use the dvs menu to setup the DVstick30?
Steve N4IRS
Yes, I did Steve, but I just ran through it again and - behold - DV3000 now showing as /dev/tyyUSB0 and the "topmost" LED on the DV3000 is flashing. Great! Monit is working as well. Thanks for your suggestion.

Next issue: getting D-STAR working.

On the DVSwitch dashboard, DMR is showing as master, but D-Star Net is showing "Not Linked". I've left the module as "B" although there's no RF involved. Can I then simply select the D-Star as REF001C (I am registered for D-Star), or is there something else I need to do? I can see activity on the channel but DVSitch appears to be seeing nothing.

Thanks!

73,
David GM8ARV
Web: https://www.satsignal.eu
Email: david-taylor@blueyonder.co.uk
Twitter: @gm8arv

Steve N4IRS

You should select D-Star as the mode and then REF001C as your reflector.

On 07/03/2021 14:57, Steve N4IRS wrote:
You should select D-Star as the mode and then REF001C as your reflector.
Yes, that's what I expected, Steve, but when I press Connect with REF001C selected, it speaks "Not linked", even though the status line says: "Connected to REF001C". This with the DVSwitch PC client.

I've not touched the DSTAR section of pyUC.ini, and it looks correct.

73,
David GM8ARV
Web: https://www.satsignal.eu
Email: david-taylor@blueyonder.co.uk
Twitter: @gm8arv

Steve N4IRS

David,
Doing some testing now.

Steve

On 3/7/21 10:54 AM, David J Taylor via groups.io wrote:
On 07/03/2021 14:57, Steve N4IRS wrote:
You should select D-Star as the mode and then REF001C as your reflector.
Yes, that's what I expected, Steve, but when I press Connect with REF001C selected, it speaks "Not linked", even though the status line says: "Connected to REF001C".  This with the DVSwitch PC client.

I've not touched the DSTAR section of pyUC.ini, and it looks correct.

73,
David GM8ARV

David J Taylor

On 07/03/2021 15:58, Steve N4IRS wrote:
David,
Doing some testing now.
Steve
One question - how many hotspots/DVswitch can one D-STAR user have on a single public IP address?

With DMR I can have multiple hotspots, but each have their own ID (e.g. 2354000-01, 2354000-02 and so on). Perhaps this is not possible with D-STAR, and because I already have one hotspot connected, the second one won't connect properly?

Of course, this could be completely wrong! Might also apply to P25, NXDN?

Thanks,
David GM8ARV
Web: https://www.satsignal.eu
Email: david-taylor@blueyonder.co.uk
Twitter: @gm8arv

W Paul Mills AC0HY

Looks like you are mixing things from different linux distributions or versions.

It is not finding "/usr/bin/systemctl" which is probably actually at "/bin/systemctl"
It is not finding "/usr/bin/echo" which is probably at "/bin/echo"

Those are the obvious things I see as a long time linux user.

--
/**************************************************
* Amateur Radio Station AC0HY *

David J Taylor

On 08/03/2021 05:56, W Paul Mills AC0HY wrote:
Looks like you are mixing things from different linux distributions or
versions.
It is not finding "/usr/bin/systemctl" which is probably actually at
"/bin/systemctl"
It is not finding "/usr/bin/echo" which is probably at "/bin/echo"
Those are the obvious things I see as a long time linux user.
Thanks, Paul.

While Linux can be a a pain for incompatibility, I have simply installed the current version of DVswitch (based on Buster, I understand) on the current version of the Raspberry Pi OS (also based on Buster, Linux RasPi-18 4.19.66-v7+ #1253 SMP Thu Aug 15 11:49:46 BST 2019 armv7l). But I could easily be wrong.

Fortunately, it's working now, so I don't /need/ to change anything, but would you recommend a re-install, or any other changes?

Cheers,
David
Web: https://www.satsignal.eu
Email: david-taylor@blueyonder.co.uk
Twitter: @gm8arv

W Paul Mills AC0HY

Installs that were upgraded from earlier distributions sometime put symbolic links from old to new locations so that things don't break on upgrade. But short answer is NO! If it is not broken, don't fix it. Current location of files is best going forward anyhow.

Paul

On 3/8/21 1:41 AM, David J Taylor via groups.io wrote:
[...]

Jason - WY7JT

D-Star is different as each reflector is it's own server. I'm new to playing with D-Star with DVswitch Server, but I've heard that some of the servers are having issues with too many hotspots parked 24/7 which sucks up a lot of bandwidth and resources. So they're blocking people that try to connect with more than one hotspot since the second one will keep trying to connect. So best to only have one connection and then unlink if you're not actively listening.

Side note, I added the NW Digital vocoder dongle, and what an audio improvement. And D-Star sounds pretty good. I had to redo my D-Star registration as some of the reflectors wouldn't link. I had done D-Star registration before for Peanut, but somehow it was dropped, so perhaps I hadn't completed it properly. Funny that I could still use Peanut and get into some of the D-Star reflectors like REF030C. So if you're having issues connecting you might check your D-Star registration.

Jason - WY7JT