Multiple instances of Bridge

W8DSB

All, thank you in advance for reading this.

What I have is this:

FM Repeater<> ASL Node (with DVSwitch) <> XLX (DMR it has AMBE chips for DSTAR) <> BM this works OK until we try to export our DSTAR to another clubs XLX
The interlink connection does not support bring the audio back into the first XLX from the second or third or fourth to the AMBE
So what I think I want to do is this

                    XLX
                      ^
XLX  <>    FM Repeater    <>     XLX

All the XLX's need a separate connection via its own copy of the DVSwitch

I understand I need to make three copies of the MD380 and MMDVM folders and start them as separate services however what about the Analog_Bridge?  Do I need three copies of that also? I think I do to port the audio out to different versions of MD380 but does that mean I need three USRP radios in ALLSTAR?

How far back do I need three copies of everything?
Three USRP's?
Three Analog_Bridges? If so what do I need to change in each one? Just this emulatorAddress = 127.0.0.1:2470 or also all the audio ports also?

All you need is Xlx to Mb to Mb to Xlx

[...]

Steve N4IRS

I'm not sure I understand what you are trying to accomplish.
1: You want to supply the same XLX connection (reflector) to other AllStar nodes?
2: You want to provide a different XLX connection to another node. You=XLX001 Them=XLX002?
3: You want to provide reflector "agile" services to another AllStar node?

Steve N4IRS

On 6/8/2020 12:32 PM, W8DSB wrote:
[...]

Mike Zingman - N4IRR

I will start by saying I know nothing about the limitation you are running into with XLX (or even if it can be configured to do what you want).  With that being said, let's assume you DO want multiple XLX servers being fed from a single ASL source.  If you want to be a pioneer (arrows and all) do this:

- Three instances of MB,  each pointing at the XLX instance to service.
- One instance of AB and MD380 point back at the ASL USRP ports ([USRP] TXPort and RXPort)
- In that AB.ini, set the [AMBE_AUDIO] TXPort to feed all three MB instances thus:
TXPort = MB1,MB2,MB3 ; Where MB1,2,3 are the port numbers for each MB [DMR] RXPort in their DVSwitch.ini files
- In each MB instance, set the [DMR] TXPort to point back at the AB [AMBE_AUDIO] RXPort

Here is the discussion:  AB and MB now support multiple transmit ports when exporting information from one component to another.   So, in this case all DMR TLV frames that are emitted by AB will go to all three instances on MB (each on its own listening port).  The return path does not need this since there are three instances of MB, so each one is feeding the same listener for AB.

This is how this is intended to work, but I have to admit that if you do it then you will be a pioneer as I have not tried the specific configuration I outlined above.  Good luck Mr Phelps.

Mike N4IRR

Steve N4IRS

This message will self-destruct in five seconds. Good luck Mr Phelps.

On 6/8/2020 2:25 PM, Mike Zingman - N4IRR wrote:
[...]

Surprisingly enough I understood his description. I will give it a try in the morning I work afternoons :)

Mike Zingman - N4IRR

Also note that this will not cross connect the XLX servers with each other. That is possible by using the same technique on the dvswitch.ini [DMR] TXPorts. However I would take it one step at a time.

W8DSB

Just to follow up, it does not work, I might have done something wrong but I don't see where if I did. Here is the setup:

[AMBE_AUDIO]
server = 127.0.0.1                                                ; IP address of xx_Bridge.py
fromDMRPort = 31100,31101,31102,31103         ; AMBE frames from xx_Bridge (should match "toGatewayPort" in xx_Bridge.cfg)
toDMRPort = 31110,31111,31112,31113               ; AMBE frames from xx_Bridge (should match "fromGatewayPort" in xx_Bridge.cfg)

Source1 (Allstar):
USRP Radio

Source2 (Brandmister Repeater TG):
[DMR]
Address = 127.0.0.1             ; Address to send AMBE TLV frames to (export)
TXPort = 31100                  ; Port to send AMBE TLV frames to (export)
RXPort = 31110                  ; Port to listen on (import)

XLXa:
[DMR]
Address = 127.0.0.1             ; Address to send AMBE TLV frames to (export)
TXPort = 31101                  ; Port to send AMBE TLV frames to (export)
RXPort = 31111                  ; Port to listen on (import)

XLXb:
[DMR]
Address = 127.0.0.1             ; Address to send AMBE TLV frames to (export)
TXPort = 31102                  ; Port to send AMBE TLV frames to (export)
RXPort = 31112                  ; Port to listen on (import)

XLXc:
[DMR]
Address = 127.0.0.1             ; Address to send AMBE TLV frames to (export)
TXPort = 31103                  ; Port to send AMBE TLV frames to (export)
RXPort = 31113                  ; Port to listen on (import)

The result was the source audio only worked once in a while, not reliable, and the three XLX's did not share the audio from the source.

Steve N4IRS

Only TX ports (or to) are multi-port.
If you are going to add descriptive text, comment it out. Example
; Source1 (Allstar):
If you are going to post from multiple files mark them as such:
; DVSwitch
; Analog_Bridge
I'm not commenting on the logic, only what jumps out.

Steve N4IRS

On 6/9/2020 9:27 AM, W8DSB wrote:
[...]

Thanks Steve for your input. This is what I have now, I made it more simple until I get it working:

analog_bridge.ini
[AMBE_AUDIO]
server = 127.0.0.1                      ; IP address of xx_Bridge.py
fromDMRPort = 31100                     ; AMBE frames from xx_Bridge (should match "toGatewayPort" in xx_Bridge.cfg)
toDMRPort = 31103,31104,31105,31106     ; AMBE frames from xx_Bridge (should match "fromGatewayPort" in xx_Bridge.cfg)

DVSwitch.ini #(from XLX1)
[DMR]
Address = 127.0.0.1             ; Address to send AMBE TLV frames to (export)
TXPort = 31100                  ; Port to send AMBE TLV frames to (export)
RXPort = 31103                  ; Port to listen on (import)

DVSwitch.ini #(from XLX2)
[DMR]
Address = 127.0.0.1             ; Address to send AMBE TLV frames to (export)
TXPort = 31100                  ; Port to send AMBE TLV frames to (export)
RXPort = 31105                  ; Port to listen on (import)

Audio coming in from ASL goes out XLX1 & XLX2
Audio coming in XLX2 only goes out ASL

Anyway to bridge the return audio?

Is this better to use HBlink? I just learned about it this morning. Will it work with DDVSwitch or do I run it on a different device?

Steve N4IRS

Inline

On 6/9/2020 11:17 AM, W8DSB wrote:
[...]

Does XLX 1 not go to ASL?

Anyway to bridge the return audio?
Not shure what you mean.

Is this better to use HBlink? I just learned about it this morning. Will it work with DDVSwitch or do I run it on a different device?
I don't think you need HBlink. Do you mean run with DVSwitch Mobile? If DVSM, I can make a case either way. I would do it after you get the bridges running.

Mike Zingman - N4IRR

Do not use fromDMRPort and toDMRPort.  I asked you to use TXPort and RXPort in AB.  You should have gotten a nasty message in your AB log file, did you see it?
Also, just to make sure, what version of AB are you using?

W8DSB

Hi Mike, I can’t get to the version number from work as I can’t login to Amazon without a private key. However looking at my dropbox at the .ini I have no TXport or RXport listed in the file. Can you please post a example and I will add it in.

W8DSB

Version 1.4.2

W8DSB

All, i was able to install HBlink and use that to route the audio between repeaters,  BrandMeister  and the XLX modules. Thanks for all replies and help.