New Install of DVSwich

N9UMJ

I'm running an older version of DV Switch on a vps, I would like to install it on a different VPS, I'm running Ubuntu on the old VPS and DV Switch and Running Debian Stretch on the New VPS.
If I made a fresh install on the Debian Stretch VPS what would be the best install process for this? I see there are new features and repo's available.

The current original version I'm using supports a multi repeater linked network...I looked at DV server and it appeared to be just for use with an individual  mobile user.
Please recommend the best method of making the change.

Thank You
Rick n9umj

Steve N4IRS

The base install is pre-configured for a Mobile user. That does not stop you from re-configuring as you see fit. All the components are installed.
I hope that answers your question.

Steve N4IRS

On 2/4/2021 10:32 AM, N9UMJ wrote:
I'm running an older version of DV Switch on a vps, I would like to install it on a different VPS, I'm running Ubuntu on the old VPS and DV Switch and Running Debian Stretch on the New VPS.
If I made a fresh install on the Debian Stretch VPS what would be the best install process for this? I see there are new features and repo's available.

The current original version I'm using supports a multi repeater linked network...I looked at DV server and it appeared to be just for use with an individual  mobile user.
Please recommend the best method of making the change.

Thank You
Rick n9umj

N9UMJ

Hi Steve

What is the recommended download and install method? I thought I saw where there was a DV Switch installer available?

I have some idle time and would like to condense everything to on vps.

Thanks

Rick n9umj

On Thu, Feb 4, 2021 at 10:36 AM Steve N4IRS <szingman@...> wrote:
[...]

Make sure you install is up to date
     apt update
    apt upgrade
    if updates were installed, reboot

Add the dvswitch repository
    wget http://dvswitch.org/buster
    chmod +x buster
    ./buster

Make sure you have added the repository
    apt update
    look for "deb http://dvswitch.org/DVSwitch_Repository hamradio" in the output

Verify programs are now installable

apt install dvswitch-server --dry-run
    any errors reported?

Install DVSwitch Server
    apt install dvswitch-server
    errors? stop and ask
    run the dvs menu to configure DVSwitch Server

Configure DVSwitch Server to taste.

Steve

On 2/4/2021 10:42 AM, N9UMJ wrote:
[...]

Thanks Steve

I just ran the upgrade to the debian server this morning and preparing the vps for DV Switch, I see there is a dashboard available, Irs that something that can be added as well to the install and available as a remote view?

Rick n9umj

On Thu, Feb 4, 2021 at 10:45 AM Steve N4IRS <szingman@...> wrote:
[...]

It is installed when you install dvswitch-server.

On 2/4/2021 10:49 AM, N9UMJ wrote:
[...]

Fantastic...You've done a great job with DV Switch, It's been a reliable product, Other than montly updates to the old server , I havent had much time to follow the progress of the product.
thank You for your help.

Rick n9umj

On Thu, Feb 4, 2021 at 10:50 AM Steve N4IRS <szingman@...> wrote:
[...]

Glad to hear it. We continue to try to improve both the programs and the install / maintenance aspects. We plan to release the HTML client soon which you may or may not need. Part of that is the Analog Reflector that can help users bridging multiple networks retain metadata across a bridge.

Steve

On 2/4/2021 10:56 AM, N9UMJ wrote:
[...]

HTML sounds interesting and may be something we can use? We have discussed adding an analog bridge, We currently operate 9 linked analog repeaters  with coverage of 2/3 of the estate of Indiana. On demand options to digital have been an interest of many in our group.
I'll watch for the release.

73
Rick n9umj

On Thu, Feb 4, 2021 at 11:00 AM Steve N4IRS <szingman@...> wrote:
[...]

Very nice...Smooth build ! I have my XLX reflector on this VPS as well but my transcoder is at another IP address..How would this map through to the transcoder to DVswitch?
Didnt  find the dashboard?  May have overlooked it?

after the build I'll direct my BM TG to the XLX , The ambe is all that see's the trancoder..
Just not sure how DVSwitch should map for transcoder ...If it does at all?? .127.0001 will map to the XLX to DVSwitch.
I've not done this yet. The XLX has only been used for Dstar up to now.

[...]

The dashboard is installed in /var/www/html The web server is lighttpd. Is the process running?
You can address the location of AMBE Server in Analog_Bridge.ini

Steve

On 2/4/2021 11:56 AM, N9UMJ wrote:
[...]

apt list --installed | grep dvswitch
will show you some if the installed packages.

[...]

Thanks Steve , I'll look there and see if it's running
OHH?? Analog_Bridge for ambe? interesting?

Rick

On Thu, Feb 4, 2021 at 12:25 PM Steve N4IRS <szingman@...> wrote:
[...]

Analog_Bridge is the only DVSwitch component that uses a Vocoder.

Steve

On 2/4/2021 12:51 PM, N9UMJ wrote:
[...]

I have a DV3003 and want only to use it Ambe to DMR or Ambe to YSF, Does it still build in Analog Bridge?
Analog to digital will come later , I see where ASL is used but would prefer not to use it if possible.

Is there a working Ambe to digital config file I could look at to see what and how it should look? Just trying to wrap my head around it...I'm better with hardware than software but with a a visual and a poke with a sharp stick, I can typically work my way through it

Thanks you for your patience and help.

Rick n9umj

On Thu, Feb 4, 2021 at 12:54 PM Steve N4IRS <szingman@...> wrote:
[...]

Rick,
I'm not sure I understand what you are trying to do? Maybe what is the end result?

On 2/4/2021 1:26 PM, N9UMJ wrote:

[...]

I'm wanting to DMR , C4FM and NXDN to transcode to Ambe at the XLX server if thats possibl;e, The XLX and DVSwitch will be at the same VPS , but the vocoder will be at my physical location with the vocoder,
If possible I want to map the two, If thats possible with DVSwitch.

I'm relatively new with Ambe and know more than I ever imagined I would want to know about. We have several Dstar users in the area that would like to blow the dust off of their radios, We built an MMDVM linked repeater system that covers the same area as our Analog network..That's how we have been using DVSwitch for the last 4 years, We want to now use the vocoders to convert the NXDN, DMR and C4FM to the Ambe XLX . and wanting to use DVSwitch, if possible to do all of the heavy lifting between servers.

DVSwitch has already been configured and working flawlessly for 4 years..Now were wanting to transcode Dstar into the mix...Sorry for any confusion...I am interested in analog..But not untill I get past the ambe vocoding curve.

Thanks

Rick n9umj

On 2/4/2021 1:26 PM, N9UMJ wrote:

[...]

So, you have DMR, C4FM and NXDN all bridged and you want to add D-Star to the bridge?

On 2/4/2021 1:26 PM, N9UMJ wrote:

[...]

Yes ..To DvSwitch

On 2/4/2021 1:26 PM, N9UMJ wrote:

[...]

DVSwitch is the umbrella all our software is under. I assume you are using MMDVM_Bridge to combine the 3 existing modes. Once I understand what you are doing, I can try to help you add D-Star