Topics

P25Gateway Inactivity Timeout Behavior

Greg WB6ZSU

Over the past few days I’ve noticed a change in the way the Inactivity timeout works. I have my system configured with a Startup TG of 10400 and an Inactivity Timer of 10 minutes. The way I’m accustomed to this working is that if I changed talk groups to something other than 10400 (Startup) and there was inactivity on this new TG for more than 10 minutes, the system would revert back to 10400. This is not the way it is behaving today. I’m not exactly sure what TG is now used as the “Revert” TG.

I’ve looked at the P25Gateway log file and verified that even when operating on 10400, if there is more than 10 minutes of inactivity, I will be unlinked from 10400.

Is this a known current behavior, and if so, what does happen after the inactivity timer expires?

Thanks and 73,
Greg
WB6ZSU

Steve N4IRS

Greg,
Please run the following as root:
uname -a
dpkg --print-architecture
/opt/P25Gateway/P25Gateway -v

Steve N4IRS

On 10/23/20 3:17 AM, Greg WB6ZSU wrote:
[...]

I ran a test here.

root@DVSwitch-Server:~# uname -a
Linux DVSwitch-Server 4.19.0-6-amd64 #1 SMP Debian 4.19.67-2+deb10u2 (2019-11-11) x86_64 GNU/Linux
root@DVSwitch-Server:~# dpkg --print-architecture
amd64
root@DVSwitch-Server:~# /opt/P25Gateway/P25Gateway -v
P25Gateway version 20200824

M: 2020-10-23 10:36:53.763 Starting P25Gateway-20200824
M: 2020-10-23 10:36:53.763 Linked at startup to reflector 10200
M: 2020-10-23 10:36:55.986 Unlinked from reflector 10200 by N4IRS
M: 2020-10-23 10:36:55.986 Linked to reflector 10400 by N4IRS
M: 2020-10-23 10:46:57.842 Linked to reflector 10200 due to inactivity

[...]

Here are my results (you can see this is a pretty old install):

root@raspberrypi:/home/pi# uname -a
Linux raspberrypi 4.14.98-v7+ #1200 SMP Tue Feb 12 20:27:48 GMT 2019 armv7l GNU/Linux
root@raspberrypi:/home/pi# dpkg --print-architecture
armhf
root@raspberrypi:/home/pi# /opt/P25Gateway/P25Gateway -v
P25Gateway version 20180409
root@raspberrypi:/home/pi#

Greg
WB6ZSU

On Oct 23, 2020, at 2:47 AM, Steve N4IRS <szingman@...> wrote:

[...]

You might just get away with replacing the binary.

systemctl stop p25gateway
cd /opt/P25Gateway
mv P25Gateway P25Gateway.old
 wget https://github.com/DVSwitch/P25Gateway/raw/master/bin/P25Gateway.armhf
mv P25Gateway.armhf P25Gateway
chmod +x P25Gateway
systemctl start p25gateway

To go "all the way" you will want to replace the binary, the ini and the audio directory from this: <https://github.com/DVSwitch/P25Gateway/archive/master.zip>

Steve N4IRS

On 10/23/2020 10:41 AM, Greg WB6ZSU wrote:
[...]

I will try doing this later.

Can you think of why this would have changed all the sudden?  I have two installations which are now behaving this way.

I only realized this because the past few days I was noticing there hasn’t been much chatter on the TG. Also, when I keyed my radio, I would get the “Pacific” annunciation which was an indication that the talkgroup had changed. That’s when I started doing some digging.

Greg
WB6ZSU

On Oct 23, 2020, at 7:49 AM, Steve N4IRS <szingman@...> wrote:

[...]

I see no reason it would change. It's just that I tested with the current version as shown in the included logs so I know it's working. As far as I know it always worked that way.

On 10/23/2020 10:58 AM, Greg WB6ZSU wrote:
[...]

Very strange.

This is an example of what I observed last night:

M: 2020-10-23 04:29:32.253 Linked to reflector 10400 by WB6ZSU
M: 2020-10-23 04:39:34.361 Unlinking from 10400 due to inactivity
I: 2020-10-23 05:21:18.507 Loaded 18 P25 reflectors
I: 2020-10-23 05:21:18.507 Loaded P25 parrot (TG10)
M: 2020-10-23 06:06:00.120 Linked to reflector 10400 by WB6ZSU
M: 2020-10-23 06:16:00.802 Unlinking from 10400 due to inactivity

On Oct 23, 2020, at 7:59 AM, Steve N4IRS <szingman@...> wrote:

[...]

I tried restarting both Pi’s and this seems to have corrected the issue.

Do you think it is still a good idea to update the files to the latest version, or is there really no big advantage?  One of the installs is on a mountaintop, and I’m a little hesitant to do a remote upgrade. I’m using this strictly for P25, utilizing Quantar Bridge.

Greg
WB6ZSU

[...]

If it works don't fix it.

On 10/23/2020 1:47 PM, Greg WB6ZSU wrote:
[...]

When the new image is released and you have access to the site, then yes I suggest you install the new image. If nothing else it will allow safer updates.

[...]

Thanks Steve. I’ll wait for the new image. As you said, it will be “Just two weeks”. 😀

Greg
WB6ZSU

On Oct 23, 2020, at 10:50 AM, Steve N4IRS <szingman@...> wrote:

[...]

Happy Halloween....