Pi-star for a RX only?

chris

Hello everyone,
I would like to set one of my hotspots to RX only. I have a slight null on my repeater system to the southeast about 15 miles out how ever the TX of the repeater is very good and using a mobile there is no issues. I would like to use a hot spot as a RX only solution for HT's.
We have a hot spot on top a building currently in the area with the null, the tested has shown it works very well as a satellite receiver. The problem is the hotspot still transmits and we would avoid this all together. Yes, we can change the offset on the TX side to +20000 and we would not hear the TX but this isn't correct because it's still TX-ing just on a diffrent freq.
Is there anyway to rewrite the code for RX only?

Steve N4IRS

Chris,

Interesting idea. That question is better asked here: <https://forum.pistar.uk/>

Steve N4IRS

On 1/29/22 13:03, chris wrote:
Hello everyone,
I would like to set one of my hotspots to RX only. I have a slight null on my repeater system to the southeast about 15 miles out how ever the TX of the repeater is very good and using a mobile there is no issues. I would like to use a hot spot as a RX only solution for HT's.
We have a hot spot on top a building currently in the area with the null, the tested has shown it works very well as a satellite receiver. The problem is the hotspot still transmits and we would avoid this all together. Yes, we can change the offset on the TX side to +20000 and we would not hear the TX but this isn't correct because it's still TX-ing just on a diffrent freq.
Is there anyway to rewrite the code for RX only?

Steve KC1AWV

I know that this is a bit off-topic for the board, so Steve please forgive me, but this has me thinking.

As a thought experiment:

I wouldn't use Pi-Star. I would create my own install of MMDVM and MMDVM_HS. Configure MMDVM to work as normally, but use something like iptables to block incoming UDP packets from the network. This may result in what you want - a 'hotspot' that hears, but can't talk.

I say not to use Pi-Star only because there's a lot of overhead for functions that are being purposely broken for this application. Pi-Star also has auto-update features that can cause your desired config to change without notice.

-Steve KC1AWV

Mike KB8JNM

You might try a usrp connection to a node config'd with the same. Probably have to see pistar folks for that usrp on their side.

That is how we get DVS to ASL.

Anyway, that's my only idea.

On 1/29/2022 1:36 PM, Steve KC1AWV wrote:
I know that this is a bit off-topic for the board, so Steve please forgive me, but this has me thinking.

As a thought experiment:

I wouldn't use Pi-Star. I would create my own install of MMDVM and MMDVM_HS. Configure MMDVM to work as normally, but use something like iptables to block incoming UDP packets from the network. This may result in what you want - a 'hotspot' that hears, but can't talk.

I say not to use Pi-Star only because there's a lot of overhead for functions that are being purposely broken for this application. Pi-Star also has auto-update features that can cause your desired config to change without notice.

-Steve KC1AWV

Corey Dean N3FE

I am not really sure this is the right place for this question you ask, but why not get a repeater builder/Zimmerman board, wire it to a radio, and just use rx?

On Jan 29, 2022, at 1:13 PM, chris <kk4mei@...> wrote:

Hello everyone,
I would like to set one of my hotspots to RX only. I have a slight null on my repeater system to the southeast about 15 miles out how ever the TX of the repeater is very good and using a mobile there is no issues. I would like to use a hot spot as a RX only solution for HT's.
We have a hot spot on top a building currently in the area with the null, the tested has shown it works very well as a satellite receiver. The problem is the hotspot still transmits and we would avoid this all together. Yes, we can change the offset on the TX side to +20000 and we would not hear the TX but this isn't correct because it's still TX-ing just on a diffrent freq.
Is there anyway to rewrite the code for RX only?

Maybe you could set RFLevel=0
You can edit it from expert mmdvmhost.
Should put the power output to zero.
Standard setting is 100