Pi W2

Chris Viningre

I'm experimenting with a Pi W2 running it on hamvoip and bridging it to DSTAR with DVSwitch. The bridging is working well but the ASL has packet loss. I'm thinking of overclocking if it's possible. Open for anyone else's thoughts.

--

Mike KB8JNM

Just guessing about the issue but I doubt overclocking will help. But it might overcome the actual problem?

Pi zero w2 has nearly as much cpu power as a Pi3, but lacks the memory.

My suggestion would be to eliminate as many background processes as you can.

On 1/24/2022 2:35 PM, Chris Viningre wrote:
I'm experimenting with a Pi W2 running it on hamvoip and bridging it to DSTAR with DVSwitch. The bridging is working well but the ASL has packet loss. I'm thinking of overclocking if it's possible. Open for anyone else's thoughts.

--

Chris Viningre

That's a good point. All I have in the background is AR and I only need it to change reflectors. I'll try it. Thanks

On Mon, Jan 24, 2022 at 12:40 PM Mike KB8JNM <groupio@...> wrote:

Just guessing about the issue but I doubt overclocking will help. But it might overcome the actual problem?

Pi zero w2 has nearly as much cpu power as a Pi3, but lacks the memory.

My suggestion would be to eliminate as many background processes as you can.

On 1/24/2022 2:35 PM, Chris Viningre wrote:
I'm experimenting with a Pi W2 running it on hamvoip and bridging it to DSTAR with DVSwitch. The bridging is working well but the ASL has packet loss. I'm thinking of overclocking if it's possible. Open for anyone else's thoughts.

--

Chris Viningre

Can't turn AR off. I need it for the links.

On Mon, Jan 24, 2022 at 12:46 PM Chris Viningre via groups.io <chris=ws5b.com@groups.io> wrote:
That's a good point. All I have in the background is AR and I only need it to change reflectors. I'll try it. Thanks

On Mon, Jan 24, 2022 at 12:40 PM Mike KB8JNM <groupio@...> wrote:

Just guessing about the issue but I doubt overclocking will help. But it might overcome the actual problem?

Pi zero w2 has nearly as much cpu power as a Pi3, but lacks the memory.

My suggestion would be to eliminate as many background processes as you can.

On 1/24/2022 2:35 PM, Chris Viningre wrote:
I'm experimenting with a Pi W2 running it on hamvoip and bridging it to DSTAR with DVSwitch. The bridging is working well but the ASL has packet loss. I'm thinking of overclocking if it's possible. Open for anyone else's thoughts.

Mike KB8JNM

LOL... choices choices

I think if you can free up even 50k, you sill see results. Perhaps not enough ?

I don't know what the headroom of AR is.

Perhaps there is someone out there that has done this on a 02w ?

I'm only interested in running asl on it portable. I think that is tight enough.

On 1/24/2022 3:02 PM, Chris Viningre wrote:
Can't turn AR off. I need it for the links.

On Mon, Jan 24, 2022 at 12:46 PM Chris Viningre via groups.io <chris=ws5b.com@groups.io> wrote:
That's a good point. All I have in the background is AR and I only need it to change reflectors. I'll try it. Thanks

On Mon, Jan 24, 2022 at 12:40 PM Mike KB8JNM <groupio@...> wrote:

Just guessing about the issue but I doubt overclocking will help. But it might overcome the actual problem?

Pi zero w2 has nearly as much cpu power as a Pi3, but lacks the memory.

My suggestion would be to eliminate as many background processes as you can.

On 1/24/2022 2:35 PM, Chris Viningre wrote:
I'm experimenting with a Pi W2 running it on hamvoip and bridging it to DSTAR with DVSwitch. The bridging is working well but the ASL has packet loss. I'm thinking of overclocking if it's possible. Open for anyone else's thoughts.

I would stop AR and see if the issue persists.

On 1/24/2022 3:24 PM, Mike KB8JNM wrote:

[...]

David J Taylor

On 24/01/2022 19:35, Chris Viningre wrote:
I'm experimenting with a Pi W2 running it on hamvoip and bridging it to DSTAR
with DVSwitch. The bridging is working well but the ASL has packet loss. I'm
thinking of overclocking if it's possible. Open for anyone else's thoughts.

--
Chris Viningre
Chris,

On a RasPi 3B+ running DVSwitch and not much else the memory use is 800 MB.
The W2 has only 512 MB.

I also note that replacing a W with a W2 results in much more heat (expected)
and poorer GPS/NTP performance. The latter to be investigated, but I wonder
whether some harmonic is near the GPS frequency. The speed increase is nice,
but.... This running MMDVM.

73,
David GM8ARV
Web: https://www.satsignal.eu
Email: david-taylor@...
Twitter: @gm8arv

Stefsan

Hi,
should work by using a origiginal Raspery pi lite OS bullseye ( Lite means no GUI) and installing DVS by script as described in last apendix on manual.
My installation uses about 320 MB Mem incl AR and all Webservices. I use a Raspberry pi 3b so it should work on a pi2w also. I think its depending of the OS, the DVS mem usage is very low.

BR. Stefan DL1ESZ

Stefsan

ok here the print screnn

Chris Viningre

I turned the turbo on and it help. I'll see how it goes for the long run.

On Tue, Jan 25, 2022, 6:50 AM Stefsan <dl1esz@...> wrote:
ok here the print screnn