Topics

"Pre-empt" all talkgroups?

David Andrzejewski KD8TWG

Is there a way - in bridge or confbridge - to configure a talk group in a way that when a user keys up on it, that talk group has the time slot for a certain amount of time, and for that amount of time, no other talk group can be used on that slot, regardless of what other talk groups a user PTTs on?  If not, is there a good reason to not have this?  Otherwise, if I can find the time, I may be willing to fork the code and implement that feature myself.

- Dave/KD8TWG

Cort N0MJS <n0mjs@...>

What you're suggesting would require sending a message back to the originating repeater to bonk the subscriber. Absolutely I believe Motorola has a way to do that, I just have no clue what it is, or if it's part of XCMP (likely). In this case, the programming isn't the hard part, it's figuring out what has to be sent.

0x49 DE N0MJS

Sent from my iPhone

On Jul 5, 2017, at 9:20 AM, David Andrzejewski KD8TWG via Groups.Io <david@...> wrote:

Is there a way - in bridge or confbridge - to configure a talk group in a way that when a user keys up on it, that talk group has the time slot for a certain amount of time, and for that amount of time, no other talk group can be used on that slot, regardless of what other talk groups a user PTTs on?  If not, is there a good reason to not have this?  Otherwise, if I can find the time, I may be willing to fork the code and implement that feature myself.

- Dave/KD8TWG

David Andrzejewski KD8TWG

Well, I guess let me be more specific. Wondering if we can do that so it just locks out all the other talk groups from being brought in via DMRLink. The user would still be able to key up but it wouldn't get them anywhere. Sure, not the most user-friendly. But I'm thinking like if our local club wants to use a particular local talk group for a net, and doesn't want to be interrupted.

- Dave

July 5, 2017 11:41 AM, "Cort N0MJS" <n0mjs@...> wrote:

[...]

Peter M0NWI

Would you not just set the hangtime for a super long time?

73,
Peter

Sent from Outlook
[...]

... I think that is the answer I am looking for!

--

David Andrzejewski
E-mail/iMessage/Jabber: david@...

On Jul 5, 2017, at 13:08, Peter M0NWI <peter-martin@...> wrote:

[...]

Actually. Looks like hang time is per network and not per talk group?

--

On Jul 5, 2017, at 13:28, David Andrzejewski KD8TWG via Groups.Io <david@...> wrote:

[...]

You can do what you’re wanting already with “trigger” TGIDs and timers - Why I jumped to thinking you wanted to NACK the repeaters… unless I’m not following?

Trigger TGIDs on and off are both listed, and can contain any TGID you want – the one you “talk on” is irrelevant.

Here’s an example of similar. In this case, K0USY and K0PRO are disconnected from BYRG (sourced by Brandmeister) for a minute if there’s traffic on any other valid TGID on the system. This is, essentially backwards of what you want, but I think it’ll illustrate the concept closely enough. In your case, for all of the other “conference bridges” you’d set in the ‘OFF’ list the TGID of the one you want to lock everything out with, set the TO_TYPE to OFF and a Timeout of 1 or more minutes. Will that do it for you or is the 1 minute thing too long?

BRIDGES = {
…..
    'BYRG': [
            {'SYSTEM': 'K0USY',                  'TS': 2, 'TGID': 31201, 'ACTIVE': True, 'TIMEOUT': 1, 'TO_TYPE': 'OFF', 'ON': [], 'OFF': [2,9,3120]},
            {'SYSTEM': 'BRANDMEISTER', 'TS': 1, 'TGID': 31201, 'ACTIVE': True, 'TIMEOUT': 1, 'TO_TYPE': 'NONE', 'ON': [], 'OFF': []},
            {'SYSTEM': 'K0PRO',                  'TS': 2, 'TGID': 31201, 'ACTIVE': True, 'TIMEOUT': 1, 'TO_TYPE': 'NONE', 'ON': [], 'OFF': [2,9,3120]},
…….

On Jul 5, 2017, at 12:37 PM, David Andrzejewski KD8TWG via Groups.Io <david@...> wrote:

[...]

Cort Buffington
H: +1-785-813-1501
M: +1-785-865-7206

David Andrzejewski KD8TWG

Ah, but in that kind of configuration, those talk groups would be on all the time, *except* when any of the "off" talk groups are activated, right?

What about talk groups that use a TO_TYPE of "ON"?

Cort N0MJS <n0mjs@...>

David,

Right.. The TGID you want to have exclusive rights is a trigger to turn all others off. Isn’t that what you meant by "configure a talk group in a way that when a user keys up on it, that talk group has the time slot for a certain amount of time, and for that amount of time, no other talk group can be used on that slot, regardless of what other talk groups a user PTTs on”?

I don’t quote you to sound like an ass, but to try and figure out what about this doesn’t solve that requirement – key up on a TGID, then that TGID has exclusive access for a period of time? That says to me, use that TGID to trigger turning all others off for the specified time? No?

On Jul 5, 2017, at 2:55 PM, David Andrzejewski KD8TWG via Groups.Io <david@...> wrote:

Ah, but in that kind of configuration, those talk groups would be on all the time, *except* when any of the "off" talk groups are activated, right?

What about talk groups that use a TO_TYPE of "ON"?

--
Cort Buffington
H: +1-785-813-1501
M: +1-785-865-7206

David Andrzejewski KD8TWG

No problem, I'm sure I'm the one who sounds like an ass ;)

I'm just trying to wrap my head around how this will work. Okay, so here's my config for time slot 1:

'SIXTY': [
{'SYSTEM': 'REPEATER', 'TS': 1, 'TGID': 60, 'ACTIVE': True, 'TIMEOUT': 15, 'TO_TYPE': 'ON', 'ON': [60,], 'OFF': []},
],
'WORLDWIDE': [
{'SYSTEM': 'K4USD', 'TS': 1, 'TGID': 1, 'ACTIVE': True, 'TIMEOUT': 2, 'TO_TYPE': 'NONE', 'ON': [], 'OFF': []},
{'SYSTEM': 'REPEATER', 'TS': 1, 'TGID': 1, 'ACTIVE': True, 'TIMEOUT': 2, 'TO_TYPE': 'ON', 'ON': [1,], 'OFF': [60]},
],
'NORTHAMERICA': [
{'SYSTEM': 'K4USD', 'TS': 1, 'TGID': 3, 'ACTIVE': True, 'TIMEOUT': 2, 'TO_TYPE': 'NONE', 'ON': [], 'OFF': []},
{'SYSTEM': 'REPEATER', 'TS': 1, 'TGID': 3, 'ACTIVE': True, 'TIMEOUT': 2, 'TO_TYPE': 'ON', 'ON': [3,], 'OFF': [60]},
],

So in this case, a user keying up on talk group 60 will cause WW and NA to shut off immediately. Now, I have the timeout set to 15 for talk group 60. Does this mean that talk group 60 will be exclusive for the next 15 minutes after the last user keys up on it, regardless of whether someone keys up on WW or NA during that time? This is what I'm trying to accomplish. I do not want WW or NA to be full-time talk groups, they need to remain PTT-only.

- Dave

July 5, 2017 4:12 PM, "Cort N0MJS" <n0mjs@...> wrote:

[...]

I’ll shove some stuff inline here.

On Jul 5, 2017, at 3:21 PM, David Andrzejewski KD8TWG via Groups.Io <david@...> wrote:

No problem, I'm sure I'm the one who sounds like an ass ;)

I'm just trying to wrap my head around how this will work. Okay, so here's my config for time slot 1:

'SIXTY': [
{'SYSTEM': 'REPEATER', 'TS': 1, 'TGID': 60, 'ACTIVE': True, 'TIMEOUT': 15, 'TO_TYPE': 'ON', 'ON': [60,], 'OFF': []},
],

The above does nothing. It defines a “conference bridge” (my name for it) named “SIXTY", but only has one member, so there’s nothing to bridge to or from… it’s like dialing into a phone conference bridge and being the only one there.

'WORLDWIDE': [
{'SYSTEM': 'K4USD', 'TS': 1, 'TGID': 1, 'ACTIVE': True, 'TIMEOUT': 2, 'TO_TYPE': 'NONE', 'ON': [], 'OFF': []},

K4USD will always be connected to the "conference bridge" named “WORLDWIDE”. It’s set ACTIVE on startup (initially on), and will time out in 2 minutes, but there’s no timeout action, so the timeout is ignored. There are no TGIDs to activate it or deactivate it, so it’s just going to always be connected.

{'SYSTEM': 'REPEATER', 'TS': 1, 'TGID': 1, 'ACTIVE': True, 'TIMEOUT': 2, 'TO_TYPE': 'ON', 'ON': [1,], 'OFF': [60]},
],

REPEATER will be connected to the “conference bridge” named “WORLDWIDE” on startup, and timeout after 2 minutes. Any traffic on TGID 1 will turn it back and/or reset the 2 minute timer on un-key. Traffic on TGID 60 will disconnect REPEATER from WORLDWIDE on un-key.

'NORTHAMERICA': [
{'SYSTEM': 'K4USD', 'TS': 1, 'TGID': 3, 'ACTIVE': True, 'TIMEOUT': 2, 'TO_TYPE': 'NONE', 'ON': [], 'OFF': []},

K4USD will always be connected to NORTHAMERICA. It’s et to be active on startup, timeout doesn’t matter since the timeout action is none.

{'SYSTEM': 'REPEATER', 'TS': 1, 'TGID': 3, 'ACTIVE': True, 'TIMEOUT': 2, 'TO_TYPE': 'ON', 'ON': [3,], 'OFF': [60]},
],

REPEATER will be connected to the “conference bridge” named “NORTHAMERICA” on startup, and timeout after 2 minutes. Any traffic on TGID 3 will turn it back and/or reset the 2 minute timer on un-key. Traffic on TGID 60 will disconnect REPEATER from NORTHAMERICA on un-key.

So in this case, a user keying up on talk group 60 will cause WW and NA to shut off immediately. Now, I have the timeout set to 15 for talk group 60. Does this mean that talk group 60 will be exclusive for the next 15 minutes after the last user keys up on it, regardless of whether someone keys up on WW or NA during that time? This is what I'm trying to accomplish. I do not want WW or NA to be full-time talk groups, they need to remain PTT-only.

Logic error – you created another conference bridge named SIXTY. Everything going on with SIXTY is exclusive from what’s happening on WORLDWIDE and NORTHAMERICA. Conference bridges are all independent from each other.

If you only created the conference bridge “SIXTY” to try to make that TGID have exclusive access to the timeslot, tell me and I’ll try to write this for you in a way that’ll get what you want. If not, and there’s just something else missing from SIXTY, add it in and I can re-evaluate, but like I said, as of now, SIXTY is essentially meaningless since it’s a conference bridge with one member – kinda like clapping with one hand? (my attempt at humor).

0x49 DE N0MJS

[...]

Yeah I realized that shortly after I sent it. Basically, what I'm trying to accomplish is that when someone keys up on talkgroup 60, I want that to have exclusive access to that time slot and lock everything else out for a set period of time, while still keeping everything else PTT-activated.

- Dave

https://dandrzejewski.keybase.pub/

Cort N0MJS <n0mjs@...>

'WORLDWIDE': [
{'SYSTEM': 'K4USD', 'TS': 1, 'TGID': 1, 'ACTIVE': True, 'TIMEOUT': 2, 'TO_TYPE': 'NONE', 'ON': [], 'OFF': []},
{'SYSTEM': 'REPEATER', 'TS': 1, 'TGID': 1, 'ACTIVE': True, 'TIMEOUT': 15, 'TO_TYPE': ‘OFF', 'ON': [], 'OFF': [60]},
],
'NORTHAMERICA': [
{'SYSTEM': 'K4USD', 'TS': 1, 'TGID': 3, 'ACTIVE': True, 'TIMEOUT': 2, 'TO_TYPE': 'NONE', 'ON': [], 'OFF': []},
{'SYSTEM': 'REPEATER', 'TS': 1, 'TGID': 3, 'ACTIVE': True, 'TIMEOUT': 15, 'TO_TYPE': ‘OFF', 'ON': [], 'OFF': [60]},
],

On both conference bridges, the line for repeater is the same:

The way you had 2 minute timeouts and using the same TGID to enable that voice traffic is on is mostly superfluous. To say that I want this group to be on, timeout every 2 minutes, but then turn back on when there’s traffic is the same thing as just leaving it on. So let’s just get rid of that…. and then...

Change the TO_TYPE to OFF and the Timeout to 15 minutes. Now, traffic on TS1, TGID60 will cause REPEATER to be disconnected from both WORLDWIDE and NORTHAMERICA and stay that way for 15 minutes. At the end of 15 minutes, REPEATER will be reconnected to NORTHAMERCIA and WORLDWIDE.

If you want traffic from REPEATER to turn them back on, then enter the TGID you want to use to do that into the ON section….

'WORLDWIDE': [
{'SYSTEM': 'K4USD', 'TS': 1, 'TGID': 1, 'ACTIVE': True, 'TIMEOUT': 2, 'TO_TYPE': 'NONE', 'ON': [], 'OFF': []},
{'SYSTEM': 'REPEATER', 'TS': 1, 'TGID': 1, 'ACTIVE': True, 'TIMEOUT': 15, 'TO_TYPE': ‘OFF', 'ON': [1,], 'OFF': [60]},
],
'NORTHAMERICA': [
{'SYSTEM': 'K4USD', 'TS': 1, 'TGID': 3, 'ACTIVE': True, 'TIMEOUT': 2, 'TO_TYPE': 'NONE', 'ON': [], 'OFF': []},
{'SYSTEM': 'REPEATER', 'TS': 1, 'TGID': 3, 'ACTIVE': True, 'TIMEOUT': 15, 'TO_TYPE': ‘OFF', 'ON': [3,], 'OFF': [60]},
],

Note – that means that traffic FROM REPEATER, TS1/TGID3 (NORTHAMERICA example) will reconnect REPEATER to NORTHAMERICA. Traffic from K4USD will not.

On Jul 5, 2017, at 9:18 PM, David Andrzejewski KD8TWG via Groups.Io <david@...> wrote:

[...]

Would this not then essentially turn NA and WW into full-time talkgroups without a timeout? I still want those groups to activate only when someone PTTs them and only for a couple of minutes.

--

On Jul 5, 2017, at 22:40, Cort N0MJS <n0mjs@...> wrote:

[...]

Yes, it would. That's the closest I can get with confbridge.

Cort Buffington
Office: (785) 856-9802
Mobile: (785) 865-7206