Remote access

Ghislain - VE2IXN

Hello there, just started with DVSwitch server and working great, planning to link to allstar node as well in the future, but thats not related to my question today.

After setting up dvswitch server on an existing debian install, i was wondering if dvswitch server is only for local access (at home) or if there is a way to do it on remote as well ?

I am asking because USRP connection doesnt seem to use a username/password connection so opening a port to the internet seem to be unsafe for me.

Is there any safe way to open make it open to the internet ? (a secure connection will be ideal)

Thks for you time and sorry my main language is french so i just wish i have asked it the right way

73 - VE2IXN

Mike KB8JNM

Your question is a bit confusing...

Make DVSs open to the internet for what ? What type of connection ? Every format has it's specifics.

Generally speaking, it is open. But that might depend on 'open to what' to be true.

On 4/13/2022 3:08 PM, Ghislain Roberge wrote:
Hello there, just started with DVSwitch server and working great, planning to link to allstar node as well in the future, but thats not related to my question today.

After setting up dvswitch server on an existing debian install, i was wondering if dvswitch server is only for local access (at home) or if there is a way to do it on remote as well ?

I am asking because USRP connection doesnt seem to use a username/password connection so opening a port to the internet seem to be unsafe for me.

Is there any safe way to open make it open to the internet ? (a secure connection will be ideal)

Thks for you time and sorry my main language is french so i just wish i have asked it the right way

73 - VE2IXN

Mike KB8JNM

I might add... If I better understand after reading many times...

I run one on a VPS/Cloud based server that is 5 states away... is that remote enough ?

On 4/13/2022 3:08 PM, Ghislain Roberge wrote:
Hello there, just started with DVSwitch server and working great, planning to link to allstar node as well in the future, but thats not related to my question today.

After setting up dvswitch server on an existing debian install, i was wondering if dvswitch server is only for local access (at home) or if there is a way to do it on remote as well ?

I am asking because USRP connection doesnt seem to use a username/password connection so opening a port to the internet seem to be unsafe for me.

Is there any safe way to open make it open to the internet ? (a secure connection will be ideal)

Thks for you time and sorry my main language is french so i just wish i have asked it the right way

73 - VE2IXN

Ghislain - VE2IXN

I am currently use DVSwitch mobile app on my cell phone and the DVSwitch server is runnig on my home internet. I want to use mobile app out of my home but find usrp connection not secure enough since it dont ask for a user/password to connect. Anyone thats know my callsign and dmr ID will be able to connect to it. Thats was my question : is there any other more secure way to connect instead of USRP?

James Mack

I am  using pivpn  for remote access to my home network via the wireguard app on my iphone.   Once the vpn is up I can access my Allstar node via Voiper.

Regards,
73 de James KG5GSI

Meshphone 940-3001

Mike KB8JNM

Oh... now you are making sense..

You did not originally say the 'mobile app' but dvs server.

Can't help there with usrp security but I would say a hack would have to know your IP and PORTS to even attempt.

But it seems to me that you do need user/pass in iax conf to use the usrp or anything else 'in the server' and you should have that set in your mobile app. USRP is riding on a iax radio channel. see the user/pass you set-up in iax.conf for the mobile app or other.

You might want to look again.

On 4/14/2022 12:30 PM, Ghislain - VE2IXN wrote:
I am currently use DVSwitch mobile app on my cell phone and the DVSwitch server is runnig on my home internet. I want to use mobile app out of my home but find usrp connection not secure enough since it dont ask for a user/password to connect. Anyone thats know my callsign and dmr ID will be able to connect to it. Thats was my question : is there any other more secure way to connect instead of USRP?

Brad N8PC

it is more secure than you think.   as long as they do not know your address to it they can't reach it. you can also intall the Analog_Reflector and set a password in it and allos or disallow access.

On 4/14/2022 12:30 PM, Ghislain - VE2IXN wrote:
I am currently use DVSwitch mobile app on my cell phone and the DVSwitch server is runnig on my home internet. I want to use mobile app out of my home but find usrp connection not secure enough since it dont ask for a user/password to connect. Anyone thats know my callsign and dmr ID will be able to connect to it. Thats was my question : is there any other more secure way to connect instead of USRP?

Steve N4IRS

DVSwitch Mobile can connect in 2 ways. 1: to a AllStar server in IAX mode. This does require username / password. 2: In USRP mode for digital modes. This does not require a username / password. If you want to protect your inbound connections via USRP, I suggest you add Analog Reflector. Analog Reflector allows you to control who can connect to your DVSwitch Server and what rights you want to assign. <https://dvswitch.groups.io/g/Analog-Reflector>

73, Steve N4IRS

On 4/14/2022 12:41 PM, Mike KB8JNM wrote:

[...]

Thanks for that clarification.

While I run AR on my DVSs, I never thought about it managing usrp in that way.

On 4/14/2022 12:47 PM, Steve N4IRS wrote:
[...]

Thks for the answer, the link provided get me a main page of a forum group, do you have any text file i can start with for analog_reflector ?

Thks :)

73

Steve N4IRS

On 4/14/2022 3:39 PM, Ghislain - VE2IXN wrote:
Thks for the answer, the link provided get me a main page of a forum group, do you have any text file i can start with for analog_reflector ?

Thks :)

73

Ghislain - VE2IXN

Hum sorry for the question again but it still redirect to main page, maybe i do it wrong :(

Steve N4IRS

Join the group

Sent via smoke signal (AT&T)

Hum sorry for the question again but it still redirect to main page, maybe i do it wrong :(

Ghislain - VE2IXN

Oh thks, i didnt know thats :) Now i know.