Topics

Setting up a remote base to DMR

Vince Vielhaber

I want to set up a remote base on HF that I can access via my DMR hotspot. I have ASL asterisk installed and partially configured and I have Analog-Bridge installed (but not yet configured). The remote base is a dumb one, even tho it's capable, it won't be changing freq or anything else. This is mainly for the evening rag-chew when I'm away and eventually I'd like to add a small TG for a few friends to connect to.

I think what I need is:

Remote Base <--> ASL <--> Analog_Br <--> ? <--> DMR Hotspot

As for the ? in the above, is that going to be HBLink3?

This will NOT be connected to BM or any other public network.

Also, do I need to register for an ASL node if I'm not planning on connecting to their network?

My background: Retired after 30 years as a C/C++ programmer, been running Asterisk as a phone system for many years.

Thanks!
Vince.
--
K8ZW http://www.metalworkingfun.com http://www.hamradio.fun

Steve KC1AWV

Edited

Is there a specific need for the DMR hotspot? If you're using ASL already, you could use DVSwitch Mobile direct to ASL and not have to worry about converting to DMR.

Remote Base <-> ASL <-> DVSwitch Mobile

If you still wanted to go to DMR, you could do this:

Remote <-> ASL <-> Analog_Bridge <-> MMDVM_Bridge <-> hblink3 <-> Hotspot

You still need to have some sort of master server for the hotspot to log into, hence the hblink3. You can run hblink3 on the same host as Analog_Bridge and MMDVM_Bridge. You could even use hblink3 locally on a PiStar hotspot, but that's some advanced configuration that would need more research for me to understand it.

Oh, and I forgot to answer your other question. Also, do I need to register for an ASL node if I'm not planning on connecting to their network?

No, and I believe the ASL image startup script allows you to set up a private node, though I haven't done this myself.

Steve KC1AWV

Vince Vielhaber

The reason for the hotspot is when I'm away I can use it tethered to my fone or find an internet connection and use my DMR handheld to connect to the remote base.

I don't know what DVSwitch Mobile is. I thought I went thru all of the parts of DVSwitch, must have missed that one, or it didn't appear to apply to what I'm trying to do
.
Thanks!
Vince.

On 08/12/2019 05:38 PM, Steve KC1AWV wrote:
[Edited Message Follows]

[...]

DVSwitch Mobile is the Android/iPhone client used in lieu of needing a hotspot and digital radio, and it used to be called Android IAXRPT. Using DVSwitch Mobile, you can connect to ASL, DMR, DStar, YSF, NXDN, and P25 networks. It's quite a neat piece of software!

Steve KC1AWV

Steve KC1AWV

You know as I'm thinking about it, ASL has macros for controlling a base station built into app_rpt already. So, using DVSwitch Mobile will give you the ability to tune and such the remote base as if you were there at the rig. This is giving me ideas... :)

Steve KC1AWV

Vince Vielhaber

In my case the antenna tuner is manual, so for now I have to go fixed freq. In the future I may be able to add an auto tuner (I have several).

Another feature in ASL's remote base stuff, it has memories. Go to a certain freq, PL Tone, Offset or Simplex, ...

Vince.