Topics

Some basic dv switch questions, hoping you can help

Jed Barton <jedbarton@...>

Hey guys,

Jed.n1jbc here. So, i'm brand new to this dvswitch thing, and
honestly it seems pretty cool.
So, the furthest i've gotten with it, is hooking it up to my allstar
node, using a network radio. I'm using an Inrico t-320 network radio,
and have dvswitch installed on it, and am connecting it to my allstar
node. It works great.
Now it's time to expand it further. I've been told that i can run
dmr, and other digital modes if i put a pi together. So i'm at that
point where i want to go to that next step. What do i need to do?
I'm going to have a lot of questions here.

Cheers,

Jed

Steve N4IRS

Jed,
Welcome. Glad you are enjoying using DVSwitch Mobile (DVSM) with Allstar. For what you are asking, you have a couple of choices:

1: Setup a separate Pi for you to use the Digital modes with DVSM.
2: Add the digital modes to your existing AllStar node.

No matter what you choose, I'm going to tell you to wait at least a week to do anything other the gather hardware.
1: is the best option If you have a spare Pi.
2: give you the best overall flexibility but may be more complex to setup depending on how you want things to work.

We are one week away from release of DVSwitch Server. The server image runs on a Raspberry Pi and allows you to setup a server with very little trouble.
We have not tested adding DVSwitch Server to an existing AllStar node. It SHOULD work, but we need to test before recommending.

That having been said, we have 2 subgroups you should consider joining.
1: <https://dvswitch.groups.io/g/allstarlink> Discussion of bridging AllStar to the digital world
2: <https://dvswitch.groups.io/g/Mobile> Discussion of all things DVSM

73, Steve N4IRS

On 10/24/20 10:39 AM, Jed Barton wrote:
Hey guys,

Jed.n1jbc here. So, i'm brand new to this dvswitch thing, and
honestly it seems pretty cool.
So, the furthest i've gotten with it, is hooking it up to my allstar
node, using a network radio. I'm using an Inrico t-320 network radio,
and have dvswitch installed on it, and am connecting it to my allstar
node. It works great.
Now it's time to expand it further. I've been told that i can run
dmr, and other digital modes if i put a pi together. So i'm at that
point where i want to go to that next step. What do i need to do?
I'm going to have a lot of questions here.

Cheers,

Jed

lee kasen

Get a pi i use the pi3b and an mmdvm hat (Google it) then www. pi-star. Co. Uk.(no spaces)  youtube or ham radio concepts (seting up a mmdvm) and have fun. You may want to get a dmr radio tyt md 380 is the one i have. (learn how to work code plug) hope that gets you started

On Sat, Oct 24, 2020, 17:12 Jed Barton <jedbarton@...> wrote:
Hey guys,

Jed.n1jbc here.  So, i'm brand new to this dvswitch thing, and
honestly it seems pretty cool.
So, the furthest i've gotten with it, is hooking it up to my allstar
node, using a network radio.  I'm using an Inrico t-320 network radio,
and have dvswitch installed on it, and am connecting it to my allstar
node.  It works great.
Now it's time to expand it further.  I've been told that i can run
dmr, and other digital modes if i put a pi together.  So i'm at that
point where i want to go to that next step.  What do i need to do?
I'm going to have a lot of questions here.

Cheers,

Jed

Steve N4IRS

Huh?