two transceiver hotspot

Joseph Stephen

Hi all,

I currently have a G7RPG Microhub AllStar node with DVSwitch.

I am wondering if it is possible to add an MMDVM hat to my existing allstar setup so that I can use a digital radio on one freq for DMR, and the same radio in analog mode on a different freq for allstar rather than going through DVSwitch? It seems like it should be possible. Obviously one could buy another hot spot but I really like the idea of a single hotspot being able to do both analog and digital even if you have to change frequencies.

Obviously this would mean that the pi 3b has both an analog tranceiver radio and the MMDVM digital modem. It would also probably mean that the frequencies would need to be a certain distance apart. Have you tried something like this and is it even possible?

Joe

VK7JS

On 21/3/22 3:57 pm, Joseph Stephen wrote:

Hi all,

I currently have a G7RPG Microhub AllStar node with DVSwitch.

I am wondering if it is possible to add an MMDVM hat to my existing allstar setup so that I can use a digital radio on one freq for DMR, and the same radio in analog mode on a different freq for allstar rather than going through DVSwitch? It seems like it should be possible. Obviously one could buy another hot spot but I really like the idea of a single hotspot being able to do both analog and digital even if you have to change frequencies.

I am running an AllStar node with a MMDVM on a Raspberry Pi 3B+, but this node doesn't use DVSwitch.  To do this, I started with the ASL 2.0 image and then installed the MMDVM components by hand.  This does take a bit more technical skill than using a Pi-Star image, but can give a usable DV node on the same Pi.

I haven't tried this with DVSwitch.  D-STAR would definitely be problematic, as both systems would try to listen on the same ports.  I think other modes can be configured not to conflict between DVSwitch and the MMDVM software (MMDVMHost and xxxGateway).

Obviously this would mean that the pi 3b has both an analog tranceiver radio and the MMDVM digital modem. It would also probably mean that the frequencies would need to be a certain distance apart. Have you tried something like this and is it even possible?

Correct.  I use a SHARI for the analogue side and a BI7JTA duplex hotspot board for digital.  The MMDVM has been updated with the latest firmware, and I am using the latest MMDVMHost, which allows me to run M17, in addition to the other DV modes.  The antennas and up on opposite ends of the assembly, around 25cm apart.  To improve isolation, I have the antennas cross polarised - digital are horizontal and end on to each other, analogue is vertical.  As you'd expect, both transceivers can be used independently of each other.  I haven't noticed any significant desense issues.
--
73 de Tony VK3JED/VK3IRL
http://vkradio.com