VRM-850 Digital Radios for building repeaters on sale

Skyler Fennell

 Hi all, I have some Motorola VRM-850 440 radios available on sale for Easter.

 These are single channel data radios capable of running all digital modes if you wire it up to a board like the repeater builder STM32DVM.

 They are 21% off, $79 through Monday or until I run out of stock. The radios are capable of running between 440-450 MHz and I will program the channel in for you. I will include a little instruction sheet for wiring up to the MMDVM boards.

 More info here: w0sky.com/digital
 73

 Skyler W0SKY

Can these Radios be aligned to work between 430 and 440.  I am in Spain, and we can only use 430 to 440.
73,
Mitch
EA7KDO

On Sun, Apr 17, 2022, 3:29 AM Skyler Fennell <electricity440@...> wrote:
 Hi all, I have some Motorola VRM-850 440 radios available on sale for Easter.

 These are single channel data radios capable of running all digital modes if you wire it up to a board like the repeater builder STM32DVM.

 They are 21% off, $79 through Monday or until I run out of stock. The radios are capable of running between 440-450 MHz and I will program the channel in for you. I will include a little instruction sheet for wiring up to the MMDVM boards.

 More info here: w0sky.com/digital
 73

 Skyler W0SKY

Skyler Fennell

I’m not sure, the radios are mainly surface mount chips so I have not seen a good way to mod the VCO. Some of them I have been lucky and gotten them to work down to 435 and a few covered the whole band but others usually start to fail lock around 438

On Sun, Apr 17, 2022 at 5:33 PM Mitch Savage EA7KDO <ea7kj5nl@...> wrote:
Can these Radios be aligned to work between 430 and 440.  I am in Spain, and we can only use 430 to 440.
73,
Mitch
EA7KDO

On Sun, Apr 17, 2022, 3:29 AM Skyler Fennell <electricity440@...> wrote:
 Hi all, I have some Motorola VRM-850 440 radios available on sale for Easter.

 These are single channel data radios capable of running all digital modes if you wire it up to a board like the repeater builder STM32DVM.

 They are 21% off, $79 through Monday or until I run out of stock. The radios are capable of running between 440-450 MHz and I will program the channel in for you. I will include a little instruction sheet for wiring up to the MMDVM boards.

 More info here: w0sky.com/digital
 73

 Skyler W0SKY

Bob KK6RQ

If they're the Lo-UHF split, they cover 403-470. (4th character from left in model # is
an 'R' (possibly a 'Q', it's been awhile).

On Sun, Apr 17, 2022, 9:52 PM Skyler Fennell <electricity440@...> wrote:
[...]

jeffww@...

I used a couple for a home built repeater once....slip a MCS2000 face plate on and program them as a normal MCS2000.  If I recall, the VRM-850s and VRM-650s don't have the MCS2000 model number nomenclature, but if you look on the label with the serial number there will be something like F3451A for the 650s and F4451A for the 850s that are 450-470mhz.  If it has a F4454 or F4455 then it is definitely 800mhz only and pretty much useless.

Skyler Fennell

The radios I have available are 450-470, but work fine down to 440.

On Mon, Apr 18, 2022 at 8:53 PM <jeffww@...> wrote:
I used a couple for a home built repeater once....slip a MCS2000 face plate on and program them as a normal MCS2000.  If I recall, the VRM-850s and VRM-650s don't have the MCS2000 model number nomenclature, but if you look on the label with the serial number there will be something like F3451A for the 650s and F4451A for the 850s that are 450-470mhz.  If it has a F4454 or F4455 then it is definitely 800mhz only and pretty much useless.

Steve N4IRS

for those that care, years ago we we converting MSC2000 900 MHz radios to the ham band. We found that a little bit of "liquid solder" on a toothpick could be used to bring down the VCO. I also seem to remember a resistor in the VCO control circuit to the same type of thing.

On 4/19/22 15:04, Skyler Fennell wrote:
The radios I have available are 450-470, but work fine down to 440.

On Mon, Apr 18, 2022 at 8:53 PM <jeffww@...> wrote:
I used a couple for a home built repeater once....slip a MCS2000 face plate on and program them as a normal MCS2000.  If I recall, the VRM-850s and VRM-650s don't have the MCS2000 model number nomenclature, but if you look on the label with the serial number there will be something like F3451A for the 650s and F4451A for the 850s that are 450-470mhz.  If it has a F4454 or F4455 then it is definitely 800mhz only and pretty much useless.

Phil Hebert N3CDY

Same process used on the Sprectras

Sent from my Mobile TRS-80

--