What if you could build a AllStar bridge without having to build a AllStar node?

Steve N4IRS

If you could connect to the AllStarLink network with a valid node number without having to build a AllStar node, would this be of value?
No DAHDI, no rpt.conf Connect to or receive a connect from any AllStarLink node. (one connection at time) Of course running on all supported architectures i386 etc. 

Patrick Perdue

This sounds like one of these projects that I'd find plenty of uses for if it existed, but I can't immediately think of stuff now. That's usually how these things work, though. So, I'm for it.

On 5/7/2022 12:21 PM, Steve N4IRS wrote:
If you could connect to the AllStarLink network with a valid node number without having to build a AllStar node, would this be of value?
No DAHDI, no rpt.conf Connect to or receive a connect from any AllStarLink node. (one connection at time) Of course running on all supported architectures i386 etc. 

On 8/5/22 2:21 am, Steve N4IRS wrote:
If you could connect to the AllStarLink network with a valid node
number without having to build a AllStar node, would this be of value?
No DAHDI, no rpt.conf Connect to or receive a connect from any
AllStarLink node. (one connection at time) Of course running on all
supported architectures i386 etc. 
This sounds interesting, might be of use, especially for links in
Dockerised environments.

--
73 de Tony VK3JED/VK3IRL
http://vkradio.com

Simpler to install  but the Allstar  management via Allmon or Supermon could be lost ....

Installation is  usually a on shot deal  but management (  checking the day to day  use and performance ) 
is  also important . 

But it all depends  on  you priorities ....

Anyway , It looks like a  very  good idea  if it can help smooth out  the  installation  curve
Richard VE2DJE

On Sat, May 7, 2022, 12:21 PM Steve N4IRS <szingman@...> wrote:

Steve N4IRS

I can see where a web based UI is preferred. I would propose that The web UI of hUC is pretty good + audio in and out. What feature of allmon/supermon is a must have?

As a bridge (YSF to AllStar) it's pretty much set and forget.

This is the conversation I want.

Steve N4IRS

On 5/7/22 21:10, Richard (Joseph) VE2DJE wrote:
Simpler to install  but the Allstar  management via Allmon or Supermon could be lost ....

Installation is  usually a on shot deal  but management (  checking the day to day  use and performance ) 
is  also important . 

But it all depends  on  you priorities ....

Anyway , It looks like a  very  good idea  if it can help smooth out  the  installation  curve
Richard VE2DJE

On Sat, May 7, 2022, 12:21 PM Steve N4IRS <szingman@...> wrote:

Mark Simon

Having  DMR to Allstar would be great.  TGIF (DMR) is really nice as the group lets you easily get your own talk group for personal or club use.  
Not a lot of restrictions of hoops to jump.  
So, using a Zumspot on DMR from anywhere I have a radio connection to Allstar using DVswitch.  Currently i have to keep the PI running and connect to the right Allstar Node.  But easier would be better.  

It would be beneficial if the connection to a Radio from the hardware was easier.  Audio in/out and PTT without squelch, like windows echo link from a PC, would be a benefit.
This would avoid the dedicated radio (i.e. modified HT and USB Sound Dongle).  Using a Signal-link, Rigblaster, Buckmaster type of interface and a connection to MIC, SPKR and PTT.  Any of us that have unused Echolink setup have this stuff laying around.  

A Web based UI is nice as I can manage the hardware easier from outside the house using my phone.  VPN in and point the browser to the IP address or do port forwarding.     

Thanks for all you do and all you have done!  

Mark wd9jen

Steve N4IRS

Mark,
AllStar <-> DMR would be no problem. IAX_Bridge would do nothing for the radio interface. IAX_Bridge does not connect to a radio in any way. Think of it as a AllStar network client. Web based control of IAX_Bridge would be possible. If you used Analog_Reflector, you would have access control by callsign and password.

Steve N4IRS

On 5/8/22 16:43, Mark Simon via groups.io wrote:
Having  DMR to Allstar would be great.  TGIF (DMR) is really nice as the group lets you easily get your own talk group for personal or club use.  
So, using a Zumspot on DMR from anywhere I have a radio connection to Allstar using DVswitch.  Currently i have to keep the PI running and connect to the right Allstar Node.  But easier would be better.  

It would be beneficial if the connection to a Radio from the hardware was easier.  Audio in/out and PTT without squelch, like windows echo link from a PC, would be a benefit.
This would avoid the dedicated radio (i.e. modified HT and USB Sound Dongle).  Using a Signal-link, Rigblaster, Buckmaster type of interface and a connection to MIC, SPKR and PTT.  Any of us that have unused Echolink setup have this stuff laying around.  

A Web based UI is nice as I can manage the hardware easier from outside the house using my phone.  VPN in and point the browser to the IP address or do port forwarding.     

Thanks for all you do and all you have done!  

Mark wd9jen

On 9/5/22 6:43 am, Mark Simon via groups.io wrote:
Having  DMR to Allstar would be great.  TGIF (DMR) is really nice as
the group lets you easily get your own talk group for personal or club
use.  
There's good DMR networks out there.
It would be beneficial if the connection to a Radio from the hardware
was easier.  Audio in/out and PTT without squelch, like windows echo
link from a PC, would be a benefit.
This would avoid the dedicated radio (i.e. modified HT and USB Sound
Dongle).  Using a Signal-link, Rigblaster, Buckmaster type of
interface and a connection to MIC, SPKR and PTT.  Any of us that have
unused Echolink setup have this stuff laying around. 
As Steve said, this is not the domain of IAX_Bridge, but I disagree, the
priority of RF linking shouldn't be "easy", but "good engineering"
instead.  A shoddy node can impact entire networks.  VOX is a horrible
interface for RoIP linking.  You need a more positive indication of the
presence of a signal (COS is OK, CTCSS is better).  Use the right tool
for the job.

A Web based UI is nice as I can manage the hardware easier from
outside the house using my phone.  VPN in and point the browser to the
IP address or do port forwarding.    
hUC is definitely handy in that respect, and you can have multiple users
with different privileges.  I often forget it's there in my bridge
applications, then it ends up being the right tool for a particular
job.  And I'm glad I went down the LetsEncrypt road for the SSL certs.

--
73 de Tony VK3JED/VK3IRL

Jeff Lehman, N8ACL

It’s an interesting concept to say the least but I can’t see a use case for me personally. I connect via multiple methods to my allstar nodes so having an actual node setup works best for me. However I am sure there are others that can find a use case for this kind of thing.

On May 8, 2022, at 17:51, Tony Langdon <vk3jed@...> wrote:

On 9/5/22 6:43 am, Mark Simon via groups.io wrote:
Having DMR to Allstar would be great. TGIF (DMR) is really nice as
the group lets you easily get your own talk group for personal or club
use.
There's good DMR networks out there.
It would be beneficial if the connection to a Radio from the hardware
was easier. Audio in/out and PTT without squelch, like windows echo
link from a PC, would be a benefit.
This would avoid the dedicated radio (i.e. modified HT and USB Sound
Dongle). Using a Signal-link, Rigblaster, Buckmaster type of
interface and a connection to MIC, SPKR and PTT. Any of us that have
unused Echolink setup have this stuff laying around.
As Steve said, this is not the domain of IAX_Bridge, but I disagree, the
priority of RF linking shouldn't be "easy", but "good engineering"
instead. A shoddy node can impact entire networks. VOX is a horrible
interface for RoIP linking. You need a more positive indication of the
presence of a signal (COS is OK, CTCSS is better). Use the right tool
for the job.

A Web based UI is nice as I can manage the hardware easier from
outside the house using my phone. VPN in and point the browser to the
IP address or do port forwarding.
hUC is definitely handy in that respect, and you can have multiple users
with different privileges. I often forget it's there in my bridge
applications, then it ends up being the right tool for a particular
job. And I'm glad I went down the LetsEncrypt road for the SSL certs.

--
73 de Tony VK3JED/VK3IRL

On 9/5/22 10:15 am, Jeff Lehman, N8ACL via groups.io wrote:
It’s an interesting concept to say the least but I can’t see a use case for me personally. I connect via multiple methods to my allstar nodes so having an actual node setup works best for me. However I am sure there are others that can find a use case for this kind of thing.
Definitely a horses for courses thing.  One I would love, that would
save a bit of indirection via AllStar would be the ability to link
directly to thelinkbox/thebridge, as some of my systems use that
software.  The method I have to use is:

USRP <--> ASL <-- (chan_tlb)--> thelinkbox.

USRP source varies - either Analog_Reflector for more complex systems or
Analog_Bridge for a simple bridge.

I don't always need a dedicated ASL node in such a link, except that
it's the only practical method ATM.  In this scenario, IAX_Bridge
wouldn't work, because ASL is only an intermediate means to an end, and
is being used as a protocol converter more than a point of access.

In case you're wondering what I'm using this for, right now, I've added
an IRLP reflector to a multimode bridge. IRLP reflectors are fine to
bridge under the IRLP guidelines.  There's a couple of scenarios where
cross links are allowed.

1.  Experimental node - one off application, can pretty much do
anything.  No link authentication is offered, and only nodes that opt
into allow connection to experimental nodes can access it.  Experimental
nodes are like the "wild West" of IRLP, but there are some useful nodes
like ham news on demand services (ARRL and ARNewsline), along with
various cross links.

2.  Linking to a reflector channel.  It is permissible to link to an
official IRLP reflector channel, and in fact, I developed a way to allow
one or more reflector channels to accept both IRLP and Echolink
connections in an integrated fashion, with full IRLP authentication and
security on the system.  To make such a link, whether from an external
source or integrated, you need permission from the admins of the various
systems and networks involved.  Some reflector admins will happily
donate a spare channel if you ask (I host at least one major bridge for
someone else at this time).  As I am the reflector admin in question,
that's the IRLP permission part sorted. ;)

Using a standard IRLP node to create a bridge is not permitted and will
most likely result in your network access being revoked.

So anyway, that's my situation and how I'm working around software
availability and features. :)

--
73 de Tony VK3JED/VK3IRL

Steve N4IRS

; IAX_Bridge configuration file.
;   This file should be placed in either /etc or it can be
;   supplied as a path on the IAX_Bridge command line.

[IAX]                                                            ; IAX Bridge configuration section
call                         = N0CALL                                  ; Node callsign (exported with metadata)
node                      = 123456                                  ; This nodes number
regServerAddress = register.allstarlink.org   ; URL of the registration server or empty if not wanted
password               = 101010                              ; ASL node password
startNode               = 0                                         ; Initial node number to tune to 
usrpAddress          = 127.0.0.1                          ; Address of the USRP listener (typically AB or AR)
rXPort                    = 32001                                    ; Port to listen on (import)
tXPort                     = 34001                                    ; Port to send USRP frames to (export)
iaxPort                    = 4569                      ; port number to listen for IAX connects
statsEnabled           = 1                         ; Report stats to AllstarLink.org
keyQueryEnabled    = 1                         ; Issue key query (K?) requests to see who is transmitting
timeoutSeconds       = 180                       ; Transmission timeout (both directions)
logLevel                    = 3                         ; IAXB log level (1=debug, 5=Errors only)
displayLevel             = 1                         ; Log level for console output
logFilePath               = /var/log/dvswitch/IAX_Bridge.log   ; Where to place the log file

[nodes]
; Note, if you are using automatic update for allstar link nodes,
; no allstar link nodes should be defined here. Only place a definition
; for your local nodes, and private (off of allstar link) nodes here.

1999 = radio@....0.1:4570/1999,NONE   ; example private node

[MACROS]
; Where the macros are
; xxxx=yyyy
; xxxx is the dial string to match
; yyyy is the command line to execute

; xxxx must be preceded by a *
; xxxx can be any string (alphanumeric)
; yyyy is the command to execute
; yyyy will replace xxxx in the dial string
; arguments follow the macro name with a # delimiter

OnConnect=osascript -e 'display notification "Connected to $@" with title "IAX_Bridge"';say "Connected to $@"
OnDisconnect=osascript -e 'display notification "Disconnected" with title "IAX_Bridge"'
OnTelemetry=osascript -e 'display notification "Telemetry: $@" with title "IAX_Bridge"'
hello=osascript -e 'display notification "hello"'

Patrick Perdue

What is the codec priority here? Does it support anything other than ulaw, I.E. SLIN or G726-AAL2? In other words, does it matter?

On 5/14/2022 4:21 PM, Steve N4IRS wrote:

[IAX]                                                            ; IAX Bridge configuration section
call                         = N0CALL                                  ; Node callsign (exported with metadata)
node                      = 123456                                  ; This nodes number
regServerAddress = register.allstarlink.org   ; URL of the registration server or empty if not wanted
password               = 101010                              ; ASL node password
startNode               = 0                                         ; Initial node number to tune to 
usrpAddress          = 127.0.0.1                          ; Address of the USRP listener (typically AB or AR)
rXPort                    = 32001                                    ; Port to listen on (import)
tXPort                     = 34001                                    ; Port to send USRP frames to (export)
iaxPort                    = 4569                      ; port number to listen for IAX connects
statsEnabled           = 1                         ; Report stats to AllstarLink.org
keyQueryEnabled    = 1                         ; Issue key query (K?) requests to see who is transmitting
timeoutSeconds       = 180                       ; Transmission timeout (both directions)
logLevel                    = 3                         ; IAXB log level (1=debug, 5=Errors only)
displayLevel             = 1                         ; Log level for console output
logFilePath               = /var/log/dvswitch/IAX_Bridge.log   ; Where to place the log file

[nodes]

[MACROS]
; Where the macros are
; xxxx=yyyy

OnConnect=osascript -e 'display notification "Connected to $@" with title "IAX_Bridge"';say "Connected to $@"
OnDisconnect=osascript -e 'display notification "Disconnected" with title "IAX_Bridge"'
OnTelemetry=osascript -e 'display notification "Telemetry: $@" with title "IAX_Bridge"'

Steve N4IRS

As of today, only ulaw. We are looking at other codec support. I'm not sure I understand the "does it matter" Does it matter if it supports other codecs?

On 5/15/22 02:55, Patrick Perdue wrote:

What is the codec priority here? Does it support anything other than ulaw, I.E. SLIN or G726-AAL2? In other words, does it matter?

[nodes]

[MACROS]
; Where the macros are
; xxxx=yyyy

Patrick Perdue

Yeah, I meant "does it matter" in context that currently only ULAW is supported, so there is no codec priority.

I have come across some nodes in the wild that only negotiate using G726-AAL2 for some reason. Don't know how prevalent this is over all, though.

On 5/15/2022 7:07 AM, Steve N4IRS wrote:
As of today, only ulaw. We are looking at other codec support. I'm not sure I understand the "does it matter" Does it matter if it supports other codecs?

On 5/15/22 02:55, Patrick Perdue wrote:

[nodes]

[MACROS]
; Where the macros are
; xxxx=yyyy

On 15/5/22 9:07 pm, Steve N4IRS wrote:
As of today, only ulaw. We are looking at other codec support. I'm not
sure I understand the "does it matter" Does it matter if it supports
other codecs?
For me, ulaw is all I need.  When running links, I want to use as little
compression as possible, because I know audio is likely to hit one of
the high compression vocoders (*MBE, Codec2 etc) somewhere in the
network.  It is unlikely I'd use another codec here.  These days,
there's few scenarios where you really have to conserve bandwidth - the
only one I can think of is a metered Internet connection with a small
data cap, which is getting rarer these days.

--
73 de Tony VK3JED/VK3IRL

On 16/5/22 5:32 am, Patrick Perdue wrote:

Yeah, I meant "does it matter" in context that currently only ULAW is
supported, so there is no codec priority.

I have come across some nodes in the wild that only negotiate using
G726-AAL2 for some reason. Don't know how prevalent this is over all,
though.
One would presume that if you're running a link, you'd work out such
details with the AllStar node owner (unless you ARE the owner, in which
case you'd just fix it). :)

--
73 de Tony VK3JED/VK3IRL