YSFn and YSFw

Michael KD5DFB

Okay, I have surfed the internet high and low. I cannot find what the n and w stand for. Is it just as simple as narrowband and wideband?

Michael KD5DFB

Steve N4IRS

Yes,
YSFn is narrow. I do not remember what Yaesu calls it. It uses a AMBE Vocoder (DMR, NXDN). YSFw is wide. It ises a IMBE Vocoder (P25)

Steve N4IRS

On 07/15/2018 09:52 PM, KD5DFB wrote:
Okay, I have surfed the internet high and low. I cannot find what the n and w stand for. Is it just as simple as narrowband and wideband?

Michael KD5DFB

Michael KD5DFB

So if I build a YSF reflector, will both modes work with it? My end goal it to connect it to my P25 reflector

JJ Cummings

I’d be curious if it’s actually narrowband, I’ve heard repeatedly that it’s not really narrow.

Sent from the iRoad

On Jul 15, 2018, at 20:05, KD5DFB <mhebert1975@...> wrote:

So if I build a YSF reflector, will both modes work with it? My end goal it to connect it to my P25 reflector

Steve N4IRS

From Yaesu.

V/D Mode (Simultaneous Voice/Data Communication Mode) (Narrow)
Half of the bandwidth is used for voice signal with error correction. The transceiver uses powerful error correction technology developed for professional communication devices. The very effective error correction code provides benefits such as minimal interruption of communication. The basic digital C4FM FDMA mode provides a good balance between sound quality and error correction.

Voice FR Mode (Voice Full Rate Mode) (Wide)
This mode uses the entire 12.5 kHz bandwidth to transmit digital voice data. The larger voice data size allows voice communication with high sound quality. Use this mode for pleasing sound quality communication between amateur radio friends.

On 07/15/2018 10:12 PM, JJ Cummings wrote:
I’d be curious if it’s actually narrowband, I’ve heard repeatedly that it’s not really narrow.

Sent from the iRoad

On Jul 15, 2018, at 20:05, KD5DFB <mhebert1975@...> wrote:

So if I build a YSF reflector, will both modes work with it? My end goal it to connect it to my P25 reflector

Michael KD5DFB

THANK YOU!!!

JJ Cummings

That’s what they say, but you can’t get a coordination for narrow from anywhere... and Yaesu doesn’t actually publish the emissions info

Sent from the iRoad

On Jul 15, 2018, at 20:32, Steve N4IRS <szingman@...> wrote:

From Yaesu.

[...]

<FDMA_multiple-mode.png>

Steve N4IRS

9K36F7W

On 07/15/2018 10:42 PM, JJ Cummings wrote:
That’s what they say, but you can’t get a coordination for narrow from anywhere... and Yaesu doesn’t actually publish the emissions info

Sent from the iRoad

From Yaesu.